Focus Fanatics Forum banner

No crank, no start, no clue

252 Views 14 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  amc49
My 2009 Ford Focus with a cool 395,000 miles is still kicking...well it was until I attempted to rewire the crankshaft and cam shaft position sensors. I think the Manifold Pressure sensor too.
Now Fran won't start. All the electronics work, including amp/sub.
There is a huge power drain...oh I also cut the fog light wires and tied them together?
I turn the key and I just hear the accessory relay, under dash click, and also I hear the starter slowly click.
Battery is charged and connections are tight....I regrounded too....
Please help.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured it would be okay lol....I am borderline clueless on what i'm doing. I'm new to trying to car fixin'.

I just reattached them to the plug and threw away the blown bulb. Car still won't even crank.

NEW: Radio fuse and fog light fuses in passenger box, blow immediately. I do have an amp/subwoofer plugged into a high/low adapter as well. I just re-grounded the amp with weld cable.
The power wire is the same one, coming from the battery. It has been contacted with the car frame...
Everything in the car works, except it won't start or crank.
The wiring under the steering/instrument cluster is a mess.
The battery is fully charged, but I have had to charge the battery probably 20 times....sometimes the charger says bad battery and other times charges correctly.....

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also important:

I attempted to re-wire the crankshaft sensor and also replaced the camshaft sensor. Not sure if I connected them correctly. I also replaced the Manifold Sensor, I think. It's underneath the engine opposite the crankshaft sensor. Not sure if I did it right....
When I leave the battery connected and attempt to charge, the PCM relay clicks like crazy and the throttle body actuator starts goin' like mad....

· Registered
19,376 Posts
At this stage and with all that going on you have major problems and some self induced likely. Best to give vehicle over to somebody else, you have already dug a hole that you are buried in. You're right on burning a major harness up it appears and if it gets into PCM you are sunk.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nah, not giving some crook...I mean mechanic....more money than the car is worth. Just trying to learn at this point. What would they do besides replace the harnesses and ignition switch?? And replace the sensors I previously screwed up??

· Registered
48 Posts
nah, not giving some crook...I mean mechanic....more money than the car is worth. Just trying to learn at this point. What would they do besides replace the harnesses and ignition switch?? And replace the sensors I previously screwed up??
sounds likeyou did not follow the crankshaft sensor set up correctly, the other two are no brainers, go on you tube and see what you missed

· Registered
19,376 Posts
More wrong than that, you don;t get madly clicking relays and a no crank from crank sensor work, only a no start. The sensor wires were shielded as well to stop spurious signals from getting in, now new wires running past anything powered up can induce signals in to wreck the crank position indicating.

OP clearly has created a dead short somewhere with his 'work'.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"work" might be too generous lol

So what should I do? I removed a heat shield cover tube thing for the speed sensor (what I called the manifold sensor earlier), and I also have big chunks missing from tubing for other sensors and thealternator power cord as well....

· Registered
19,376 Posts
Look at your work if problem developed after it, the only way to narrow things down.

Now you know why the word work was accentuated.

· Registered
19,376 Posts
I never have to give up, I easily rewire complete cars if needed.

You know of course what you say in post #14 absolutely flies in the face of what you put in #12.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts