Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 ZX3. After being rear-ended about a year ago, I started having a problem that I didn't go back to the shop and complain about - because I couldn't begin to think how the two are related. All I know is, that's exactly when the problem began. Anyway, if my gas is low, I DO get the chime warning me about it. But I never get a chime for opening the door with the keys in the ignition (not really a problem for me) NOR do I get a chime for leaving my headlights on (which IS a problem!).

My last car had automatic headlights, and my wife's car has automatic headlights, so I do screw that up sometimes.

Does anyone have a clue what could cause that??

·
Registered
199 Posts
Do you ever hear a chime for anything?? Maybe the chime itself is the issue. The car might be functioning fine but the speaker (or whatever the chime uses to output) is bad, or bad ground. Could even be something as simple as a fuse.

·
Registered
117 Posts
All I know is, that's exactly when the problem began.
One of those pesky "eversinceyouworkedonmycar" problems.

I don't remember if the low fuel light chime comes from the same place inside the GEM as the headlamp or keys in the ignition chime, but it sounds like you may have an issue with the GEM module.

If there is an electrical failure of the GEM causing this, there will be a BODY code for it.

Your best bet is to have the shop that worked on the car pull the BODY codes and see what you have. Since they worked on your car previously, they may do it for nothing, although, it has been a year. Depends on how convincing you are with your story about it going on "every since" the car was rear ended. Good luck.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gem

Thanks for responses, I will examine the GEM, I would LOVE to find a loose wire or some such. I looked thru all the fuse titles and didn't see anything that looked like it would tie into this issue. I assumed the low-gas-chime used the same chime mechanism as the lights-on-chime, but I don't know for sure obviously.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Toolman,

Did you ever solve this? (I know it was ages ago...)

I have been having a similar problem with my 2006 ZXW after it had some bodywork about a year ago. I keep forgetting to turn my lights off...

I took it to the dealer (not where the work was done), and they basically told me that "this model didn't have that feature", even though I know it did. And they wanted an arm and a leg to do diagnostics.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Toolman,

Did you ever solve this? (I know it was ages ago...)

I have been having a similar problem with my 2006 ZXW after it had some bodywork about a year ago. I keep forgetting to turn my lights off...

I took it to the dealer (not where the work was done), and they basically told me that "this model didn't have that feature", even though I know it did. And they wanted an arm and a leg to do diagnostics.

Thanks!
Toolman,
From the 2006 Ford Focus owners manual:

Key-in-ignition warning chime: Sounds when the key is left in the
ignition in the OFF/LOCK or ACCESSORY position and the driver’s door
is opened.

Headlamps on warning chime: Sounds when the headlamps or parking
lamps are on, the ignition is off (the key is not in the ignition) and the
driver’s door is opened.

Gearshift warning chime (automatic transaxle only): Sounds when
the gearshift lever is not in P (Park) and the driver’s door is opened.

This is essentially the same function for all 2000-2007 Focus so not sure what the dealership was saying. The chime is built into the GEM unit which is mounted under the dash on the extreme R (passenger) side.

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Paul,

How much do you think it would cost to have GEM unit inspected, and potentially repaired (to get this chime back working)?

Alternatively, is this a doable fix for a beginner? I've done some electronics work on the inside of the car (stereo, fuses on the driver side, etc), so maybe I could give it a shot.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Hi Paul,

How much do you think it would cost to have GEM unit inspected, and potentially repaired (to get this chime back working)?

Alternatively, is this a doable fix for a beginner? I've done some electronics work on the inside of the car (stereo, fuses on the driver side, etc), so maybe I could give it a shot.

Thanks again.
From what I posted previously about what sets the chime off the common denominator is that the chime is only activated when the drivers door is open. Perhaps your issue is as simple as the GEM is not being signaled that the door is open due to a failed drivers door ajar switch or wiring from/to the switch - check at the flex connection at the door umbilical. If the system thinks the door is closed even when it is open it will never chime. For 2003-2007 the door ajar switch signals the GEM by connecting the GEM to ground when the door is open (for 2002 and earlier it is the opposite). You could test for this by pulling the 2 wire connector from the switch, verifying ground on one side, and jumpering across the terminals.

Assuming the problem is the actual chime unit on the existing GEM there are a few possibilities:
1. Replace entire GEM unit with a used unit from a same year Focus.
R/R-ing the entire GEM is very easy but Im not certain if you need to get a specific Focus vehicle unit to be certain you get the same operability.
2. Open up your existing GEM and replace the chime unit (unsolder/re-solder, etc). You would need to have a 'donor' GEM unit for the replacement chime. Also its not certain to me that the fault is in your chime unit itself or in associated circuitry. So its sort of a blind repair where you could do more damage than good.

My $.02
Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
From what I posted previously about what sets the chime off the common denominator is that the chime is only activated when the drivers door is open. Perhaps your issue is as simple as the GEM is not being signaled that the door is open due to a failed drivers door ajar switch or wiring from/to the switch - check at the flex connection at the door umbilical. If the system thinks the door is closed even when it is open it will never chime. For 2003-2007 the door ajar switch signals the GEM by connecting the GEM to ground when the door is open (for 2002 and earlier it is the opposite). You could test for this by pulling the 2 wire connector from the switch, verifying ground on one side, and jumpering across the terminals.

Assuming the problem is the actual chime unit on the existing GEM there are a few possibilities:
1. Replace entire GEM unit with a used unit from a same year Focus.
R/R-ing the entire GEM is very easy but Im not certain if you need to get a specific Focus vehicle unit to be certain you get the same operability.
2. Open up your existing GEM and replace the chime unit (unsolder/re-solder, etc). You would need to have a 'donor' GEM unit for the replacement chime. Also its not certain to me that the fault is in your chime unit itself or in associated circuitry. So its sort of a blind repair where you could do more damage than good.

My $.02
Paul

Just an FYI -- Paul's diagnosis did work for me. it was indeed the sensor on the door striker, not the GEM. So I replaced that and everything is working fine now. For reference this is the part I ordered from Amazon (I can't post URLs yet, so search "Keenso Professional Car Power Door Lock Striker Plate Catch Latch Actuator for Ford Focus MK1 1998-2005 2M51F21982AA "). It says it works for 98-05 MK1, but worked fine with my 06 ZXW.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Just an FYI -- Paul's diagnosis did work for me. it was indeed the sensor on the door striker, not the GEM. So I replaced that and everything is working fine now. For reference this is the part I ordered from Amazon (I can't post URLs yet, so search "Keenso Professional Car Power Door Lock Striker Plate Catch Latch Actuator for Ford Focus MK1 1998-2005 2M51F21982AA "). It says it works for 98-05 MK1, but worked fine with my 06 ZXW.
[thumb]

A year later (LOL) but thanks for following up and letting everyone know what fixed it.

Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts