Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
So mote be it
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well short story time, go to leave work and brake pedal feels soft. I happen to work across the street from AutoZone so I head there. First thing I check is the brake fluid level, looked dry.

So I buy fluid and top off. Slowly pump brakes, pedal feel doesnt improve, still goes to floor. Brakes werent noticeably poor this morning. I get home, check all four corners, none are leaking. Fluid in reservoir hasn't gone down yet. I can get the pedal to firm up pumping with the car off, once car is turned on pedal back to the floor.

Clutch pedal doesn't look like its dripping wet but not dry either. See attached. So what do I need to replace to get my brakes back? Time to replace cluch master?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Theoretically you should loose the clutch before the brakes if the leak was there, hose to the clutch pedal takes it's fluid from above where it would affect the brakes.

Gonna have to bleed them IMHO to get the feel back, and in the process you may find the leak.

·
So mote be it
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The brakes going first is what threw me. I'm guessing the reservoir going low took out the brakes.As I looked at the clutch closer I could see where it's leaking from. Planning on replacing that in the morning. Then bleeding everything.

In the case it doesn't fix my problems, what else could it be? Just want to be proactive so I can get getting he car back to normal by monday

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Shouldn't take out the brakes without a brake leak, that's my concern.

Figure that even if the reservoir was dry, from leakage through the clutch master, there's still the whole line to the brake Master holding fluid.

It'd have to be dry long enough for the pads to wear down & need more fluid before it would suck air.

'Course that isn't something that's easy to see if you aren't looking, if the light didn't come on it could be dry a while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts