Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gone through about 100 threads on this problem since yesterday. I'm not exactly sure when it started. I've checked fuses, wiring in the hatch for bare wires, all the wires under the side panels in the hatch area. When the key is on for the radio the fuses show they have power, but when I turn on the ignition and put the car in reverse ( auto ) the fuses show no power. The panel shows me two fuses for backup lights. I noticed it when I had to move the car back and forth that the brake lights were staying on in reverse only. The drivers side stayed solid and the passenger side would flicker, the top light stayed on also. Putting it in drive, neutral or park they would go off. It stopped doing that after awhile without me really doing anything except jiggle the wires here and there. I ordered a new reverse switch to see if thats the problem. My main concern is why the brake lights were going on by themselves. I went from park to reverse without using the brake pedal. I know there are alot of threads about this between FF and FJ but I can't narrow it down specifically. Besides the switch is there a relay I should try ? I stumped.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I'm pretty sure you'll find a bad ground somewhere in the back. Something is grounding thru the backups or the backups are grounding thru something- The fuses might be getting hot on both sides, again because something is lacking a ground.

Whenever you have really bizarre electrical problems, especially when stuff comes on when it's not supposed to, you can almost bet a grounding problem is behind it.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Working again. Yeah, that's what it was. I had a leak in the passenger side light about two weeks ago. I do have aftermarket lights that I had to splice in. The light was hanging by the wires when I put RTV over the holes under the light. Found one of the fuses were bad after all. When I tested them I tested the circuit, not the fuse. I'll clean up the connections reseal everything.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
All right- good. Then you're all set.

Thanks for letting us know how this thing got resolved. Makes it more fun on this end.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, there is a short back there. At least I know what I'm looking for now. The power must have been jumping to the brake lights. It's gotta be the wiring i messed with.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My backup light problem.. what do you think?

I have a similar problem with my 2005 Focus with the back up lights not working. The break lights work just fine. I have checked all the fuses and replaced them, just in case, and still no lights when in reverse.

My car is an Manual transmission and it does have aftermarket lights. I have also replaced both bulbs in the lights and still nothing. My friend had a 2000 mustang and he said he had a similar problem with his car. He said that there is some type of backup switch located under the shifter in the center of the car. Do you know anything about this?

Any ideas in where else the problem could be coming from? I can't find any loose wires or anything else either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts