Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to convert my non-abs 2003 duratec to the SVT abs package?

ive got front disc rear drum at the moment.

wondering how much of a pain in the ass its going to be

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
I have ABS...its just a pain if you know how to drive. I think it's the worst option out there on a car...Just my opinion though...stick with stock, I think you would need sensors and all kinds of stuff that would cost a lot...

·
Registered
687 Posts
you would have to change the spindles on each wheel, have abs censors connected to abs modual, and so on, it will cost you upwards or $700 or salavage

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
To install a ABS package on a car the car must have the Controllers, the Brake booster controller, the wiring to each wheel and a ABS gear Ring/pickup(sensor) installed on all the hubs

P.S. I just got quoted $1100 on a standard ABS system installed on one of my wagons

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what about upgrading the front two rotors and pads? would they lock up too easily?

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
XD I wouldn't say ABS sucks... I notice a difference driving Wagon 1(No ABS) to my old Corsica(Full ABS) i could stop on a sheet of ice my focus just bobsleds across lights now and is a terror to drive on snow to be honest :/ Doin 40 on a main street I slid 3/4 way through the intersection, only reason no accident would be my amber service light and me hittin the horn

P.S. I have 4 brand new Firestone Winterforce 195/60R15's and I couldn't get any grip (hence I'm pricing the installation of ABS)

Wagon 2 to my amazement HAS ABS but Wagon 1 doesn't which is should from what the Dealer sheet says

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,790 Posts
Well I must say I don't think it is worth the hassle of finding all the tings you need it to work or spending 1k on it. Just learn to pump you breaks and problem solved. FYI I learned to drive with ABS and is a little different getting used to not having it but is not anything that is hard to get used to for me at least.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The ABS in the focus is outstanding. Allows you to drive closer to the limit of the car, trailbraking into corners without locking a wheel. I can't comment on how difficult or costly the upgrade would be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts