Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Great forum. I've been trying to pull codes on my sister-in-law's 2003 Focus 2.0 with no success. The car has a check engine light on and still runs ok. I've got an OTC Genisys that I just updated over the internet this morning with no success. It will pull codes for the other modules, (ABS, GEM, and airbag). Since the scanner will pull PCM codes on my 2001 Taurus and 1997 Explorer, I'm guessing it's the car. OTC's tech hotline suggested it's the wiring in the car and possibly the data connector wiring possibly to the PCM. Anyone else have an issue like this or can point me in the right direction? I'm looking to get an 03' Focus wiring diagram as soon as I can. Thanks.

DH

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sounds like it the DLC (data link connector). Its not getting power. in you get the wiring diagram pin out power and gound on the DLC. All DLC's have the same power and ground but I forget what terminals they are. I have come acorss this in VW's and Audi's but in their case its usually b/c an aftermarket radio has been installed and that screws up the DLC.

·
Registered
720 Posts
If the DLC was not getting power, your scanner would not power nor would it read anything. FYI, power is at pin 16 and ground is at pins 4 and 5.

Does your unit come back saying there are no PCM DTC codes or does it give an error when trying to read?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
03' Focus no pcm communication

Yeah, I believe the scan tool is getting power from the data connector because I can monitor the other modules in the car. The unit comes back with an error saying that there is no communication with the car and to check the cables and the fuses in the car. I just ordered the Ford repair CD off of Ebay so I'll have to go from there. I don't know how the pins go in my data connector but once I get the manual, I'll check for power and ground there first.

Thanks.

DH

·
Registered
121 Posts
Oh my bad, I though you werent getting power at all from the DLC to the scan tool, but you knew it works on your other cars.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Long shot but is there an aftermarket chip installed in the PCM?

I know with our stuff if there is a chip installed we cannot communicate with the processor. The chip has to be removed before we can datalog or flash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts