Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 2001 2.0L zetec focus.. mods are listed in my sig. plus that i have 1 step colder spark plugs...

i was using 75shot dry nos (nozzle size is 36) without any issue... just for a race we put a 38 sized nozzle and it is also OK but i think its now at the limits... now i want to go for a wet setup...

question is direct port or not? as i know if u spray wet setup before the throttlebody it may bang at the intake manifold... because of that i want to go for a wet direct port system but i am not sure as i dont have much knowledge about the systems... i know how do they work but i dont have detailed knowledge...

so which setup would you advise? making it direct port or just converting existing dry setup to wet??

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well if money isnt an issue then id sugest going direct port, ud have to convert to a wet style anyway to do that though. Direct port will give the biggest banganyway but it will be a PITA to install b/c u have to drill ur mani which would require it to be removed and that can turn into a bitch of a project. But like i said Direct port is the way to go. I persionally have a wet NX setup pending install and i cant wait to give that a try. Im surprised that your car ran a dry system w/o any issues, normally the ZeTec will detonate b/c the comp usually wont adjust to the N2O that fast. If your on a budget go wet youll enjoy it and it will be ALOT safer to use.

HTH

-Sarif2029

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
A direct port is nice, but its alot of time to install it, it offers better control, but you can't go any smaller than 75 HP. ts worth doing if you are gonna go big and build the motor.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can the stock zetec engine hold a wet 100 shot? and also do u know the nozzle sizes (fuel and nitrous nozzles) to get that hp?

if i wont go direct port i will just convert my dry to a wet system but i am afraid of blowing the stock intake manifold with that setup... can it just happen or it happens only when u push hard or couse of a misusage???

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
if you are having problems with backfire or something, then worry about the manifold. As long as you aren't running the spray below 3000rmp or hitting the rev limiter on it, you should be ok.
I run a 75hp wet kit on my SVT, according to some the SVT is riskier then the Zetec for nitrous flow issues, but I've had no problems.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
The only way you can "blow the intake" is with a nitrous backfire. You need to stay away from the rev limiter without an RPM window switch on the car, other than that. No worries, now the pistons and bottom end? 75 HP is hard on them, I wouldn't go above 50 HP without a specific tune for the nitrous.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scott_SVT said:
if you are having problems with backfire or something, then worry about the manifold. As long as you aren't running the spray below 3000rmp or hitting the rev limiter on it, you should be ok.
I run a 75hp wet kit on my SVT, according to some the SVT is riskier then the Zetec for nitrous flow issues, but I've had no problems.
well i had no issues with my existing setup although it doesnt have any nitrous specific tune..
i never sprayed below 3000rpm but hit the rev limiter just 2 times when i installed my nos setup... that was ofcourse 8 months ago and i am now very confortable with the nos, its been long time that i had no hitting rev limiter issiues...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
viney266 said:
The only way you can "blow the intake" is with a nitrous backfire. You need to stay away from the rev limiter without an RPM window switch on the car, other than that. No worries, now the pistons and bottom end? 75 HP is hard on them, I wouldn't go above 50 HP without a specific tune for the nitrous.

for me a nitrous specific tune is very hard as the European stock Ecus do not allow that.. eighter i must buy a stand alone ecu or i may try buying an american model stock Ecu which i am not sure if it can be adapted to europen models....

about the handling of pistons and rods; i had no issiue with a setup that was said to be 75 shot, infact it gave 65hp at the dyno..

BTW i called a local shop here to take a price for direct port ( parts+installing) and i am said that it will cost me 400$

for stand alone ECU from UK will cost me 1200-1400$, pistons and rods will cost 2000$
damn customs and shipping prices always double the cost!! [:(]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts