Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, after the line blew out when I first installed it (freaking wierd), the line has been fixed (cut it, added fittings, combined it with a union. The tune works right after removing and readding it to my tuner. NGK TR6 plugs and 91 octane.

I have been testing it and setting and adjusting the engagement points for the TPS and window, and it is fun as hell. With just the 55hp jets this thing hauls ass..insanely. The headrest never felt so good. I will be trying out the 75hp jets at the track this weekend (after a few 55hp jet runs). I'll post up later saturday with the results of my runs.

I can't wait to get my cams in. I will need to get a better clutch (and at the same time I'll install a lightweight flywheel). I am also thinking of going to a 2.5in exhaust from the 2.25 I have now, either that or a cut out for the track.

It is really getting fast now...how very exciting.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
awesome. definately post up your times.
This is like the 2nd nitrous kit I've heard of getting installed on a duratec...

congrats, and I hope the enjoyment lasts a long time.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
bwahahaha enjoy man [thumb]

·
Registered
409 Posts
Coolness...
Please keep us updated, this is where I'm headed.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'll keep it updated. If anyone needs pointers, etc. on a duratec install, I think I know it by memory now.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As for the track:

Everyone was having a rough go at it tonight. That is, all the LT1s were running (very consistently) 14.7-14.9 @ mid-high 90mph. Kinda crappy. That's okay though, I beat a few of those cars. Even with it being a bad night to run, I still hit a [email protected] with a 2.34 60ft on the 75hp shot (understand, the last time I had was a [email protected] something NA in 100 degree summer weather with a 2.18 60ft, so lots of room for improvement).

So on a better night with better 60ft, I should be a good bit quicker. The LT1 guys that I talked to say they normally run low 14s. The weather had it about 88 degrees with 57% humidity, that had something to do with it. I think when I get more practice with my nitrous launches (no, not off the line! I'm not that crazy!) and I get a good day, it will be much faster. I wish my cams would hurry up and get here. Then I could run really good times in October (the best time to run here..either October or March - cool and low humidity..for the most part..I swear I live in a rainforest).

What is really fun is making drag radials spin like regular tires!

It will be faster the next time I go.

Oh and I won the runner up bracket racing trophy (second runner up trophy so far, and I have one first place). Hooray!

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
What is used to launch without having the nitrous engage until a certain gear? What gear do you activate it?

Window switch? rpm switch? What?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Internals:

When Walter Marcy calls for the final cam payment, I'm ordering valve springs, retainers, and rod bolts. He said I should be okay as long as I don't spray above 6500rpm (this is on the stock rods @ around 275bhp). I'm taking his advice on this and will not be spraying much above that (within 200rpm). I'm not holding him accountable if something breaks obviously..this nitrous gig is all on me..lol.

I imagine I'll be able to rev to the full 7200rpm NA, but without the intake manifold it won't make anymore power, so no point in doing that.

The engagement:

I'm using an MSD 8969 digital rpm window switch. This lets me set the window from the low to the high. As far as what gear it engages in, it will depend on if I am in full throttle or not. On the other nitrous system on the mustang, it was setup so that when you hit the activation switch, it energized the relay immediately, and would spray as soon as you hit WOT.

On this setup, the MSD box has to go through it's initialization (5-10seconds) before it is ready to energize the relay during the rpm window. Once the relay is energized, the zex unit can then see the TPS signal, and once you go to WOT it engages the nitrous. So you have to activate the system before you go to have enough time for it to cycle and be ready to engage. This means you have to keep it out of WOT during first gear in order to turn it on for the first time in second gear.

My strategy at the track was such: ease out at around 3k, rev it up to around 5k, then go to WOT. The nitrous engages, the car zooms forward (drag radials protesting) and then here is second gear. My windows was at around 2600rpm-6800rpm, but the WOT came in at around 4-5k.

My strategy the next time I go to the track will be the same as above on some runs (to see how better conditions effect the times) and will be different on others. The difference is I will just keep it out of WOT (but close to it) in first gear, and then once in second, lay into it. I'll play around with it though and see what works best.

The kit:

I have a Zex 82021 wet nitrous kit. It is hooked up in a circuit with a relay and an MSD 8969 digital RPM window switch. I also have the Zex Racers Tuning Kit 82001 in the mail (purge, bottle warmer, gauge, blowdown tube) as well as a Zex nitrous purge cloud illuminator kit 82170B (make it glow blue) in the mail.

In addition to the kit, I am running NGK TR6 spark plugs gapped @ .035, 91-101 octane fuel (I mix it..just for extra safety). My tune is from Focus Sport. I normally drive around on a 91 octane street tune, but I also have a nitrous tune that Randy did for me that is really designed for a 50 shot (takes out 2 degrees), but with my plugs and fuel, I feel completely safe on the 75hp jets. My plugs looked awesome when I pulled them after running 1/2-3/4 bottle through the engine.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
nice, but i think i would forget that i can not floor it on 1st gear. sounds like you have done your homework.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is quite difficult to not do it...lol. I read a lot and there are a few people on focaljet that had some experience with it, but I think the grand total of nitrous duratec people is like 5....me included.

Some of it (like how to drive these buggers) is kind of hard, and we are winging it. I'll be posting much better times after the next track day. I'm waiting for it to cool off and dry out. In the meantime I'm getting my strategy together.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
What happens if you floor it WOT in first gear, it will still take a couple seconds to engage anyway, ???

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I warm up the tires, then I activate it. I take my time lining up at the light too. This gives me more than enough time for it to cycle. When I leave, it is ready. If I were to go to WOT just as the lights drop, it would activate instantly as long as I am in the window.

As long as you are already moving the spinning isn't that bad, but if you are likely barely crawling, it will spin like crazy.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
Well, spinning street tires already netted me the slow times with just the couple mods I have...don't need more spinning.

Thanks for the info.

·
Scuba Edition
1,694 Posts
Wouldn't it be best to just set it to not spray in first???

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can't. It will take too long for it to activate if you do. You can just keep the window a little higher and not go WOT too early in first or in first at all.

Just the nature of the window switch I guess.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts