Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My extended warranty runs out in about 10k miles. I'll be buying a new car next year and am starting to plan on putting a little bit of $$$ (but just a little!) into my focus. I'm going to keep my car for the track.

I'm looking seriously at a wet kit.

What's the estimated cost, start to finish to buy a wet kit, have it installed, and buy all the necessary accessories to make it safe. I'm thinking 50 shot to start with.

To buy list: bottle warmer, blanket, rpm shutoff, purge, and window switch. I'll also be getting a WOT switch and a tune.

I have a completely stock ZTS, with the exception of a SVT intake and airbox.

Should I also look at upgrading the exhaust along with this?

I've read that with nitrous at 50 shot you should be running 93 octane.... I was under the impression that octane levels higher than rated for my car (87) might cause engine knock and be harmful.

·
Registered
215 Posts
For a nice complete set-up your looking at about 600 for zex kit and about another 3oo-400 for the rest.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I built mine complete for about 600...no kit... i got a zex dry kit for 300..and converted it to wet....bottle, lines, NOS PowerShot NOS and fuel solenoids, fogger nozzle, 55/75/100 shot jets, low fuel pressure cut-off switch, microactivation switch (radioshack @ $5 put on ground side of circuit), purge solenoid, switches, NGK plugs and all the other bs

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Plan on spending about 1200 for all your parts. Especially if you add a tune, mabe a bit more. I have about 1,000 in all my stuff. Nitrous can be done on the cheap, but do it right.

Also, the 93 octane won't hurt your car, its just a waste of money without work ( like nitrous ) done to the car.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm definately not cheaping out on this one. Call me crazy, but if i'm going to put something in my engine that has the potential to ruin it, i'm doing everything I can to make it safe. Spending an extra $500 on equipment designed to keep me from buying a new engine is definately worthwhile.

This is a little off topic, but it always amazes me that people run with a CAI without something on there to prevent hydrolock. I know a guy who wrecked his focus engine because of that... spend the extra few dollars for the bypass valve.

Back on topic... i just have an SVT intake on my car. Since i'll have a few months to save and i'll be getting a tune after the nitrous goes in, I might just spend a little extra money beforehand...

I'm thinking catback, header, high-flo cat. I want to keep my budget for this whole project, start to finish, around $2k. Anything more than that and i might as well start saving for a downpayment on a new car ;)

Anything else I should consider?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts