·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for nothing, anyone else had experience with nitro filled tires?

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Thanks for nothing, anyone else had experience with nitro filled tires?
I used to work in tires. When I did we were the only local company to offer nitrogen inflation. I also used it on my daily driver/auto x/track car. At the track the nitrogen expanded by only 4 psi. With air I was looking at 10. There's no moisture in it like there is air. This keeps your wheels from corroding, which is major cause of bead leaks. The corrosion eventually builds up between the bead and the rim not allowing for a proper seal. In all, I highly recommend it.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
I used to work in tires. When I did we were the only local company to offer nitrogen inflation. I also used it on my daily driver/auto x/track car. At the track the nitrogen expanded by only 4 psi. With air I was looking at 10. There's no moisture in it like there is air. This keeps your wheels from corroding, which is major cause of bead leaks. The corrosion eventually builds up between the bead and the rim not allowing for a proper seal. In all, I highly recommend it.
/\
this
Also with your tmps sensors will like nitrogen better too. Nitrogen permeates rubber at a slower rate than the oxygen, so you will end up adding air less often. That and with what DetaDnB mentioned about the expanding pressure when hot.

That being said, I havnt switch yet. I dont race or have tmps sensors on my '07. I do frequently check my pressure and add air accordingly though. I have been thinking about it but havent yet

·
Registered
61 Posts
What kind of performance difference are you hoping for?
Pressure will remain more stable for a greater temperture range, seasonal changes etc. Though pressures should checked more frequently than by the Equinox.

We used nitrogen in the rally car but that was a function of greater pressure stored in a tank than a reliable light weight and quick compressor.

Corrosion from using air can occurr on the inner bead, just recently when I replaced the rear tires on the '72 F350 dually we had to hit the bead with scotch brite pads.

Nitrogen does have some benefits if you find fit your needs heck go for it, it could be a gas!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hard to believe 22% more nitrogen would make that much difference; remarks about dryness may be more critical.
Any way to insure dryer air in a home system? We used to have water traps on the big commercial system in a garage where I worked. I bleed some out of the bottom of my compressor tank every week or so.
Moon

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
how does nitro compare w/ Oxy for contractation in very cold temps? anyone know?
Well that's the thing, you're never using pure oxygen either, you're using compressed air.
Air is made up of 78% Nitrogen, and 21% Oxygen.
Yes, nitrogen will be more stabile. It won't leak quite as quickly, and won't contract as much.
But really, is checking your tire pressure really that difficult? In fact, the new Focus has tire pressure sensors if I'm not mistaken, making that even easier.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Exactly, nitrogen is a ripoff. Yes, it is marginally better, but not enough to validate paying more for it.
It's $20 at most shops and they'll keep it topped off for free if you ever need more added. I don't believe you or anybody else here have never spent $20 on something FAR more foolish.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Honda dealerships offer it for $30. Is that what y'all have found?
What do you do about a tire that needs more pressure? Run to the garage every time? Add ordinary air and dilute your investment?

I understand the supposed merit of the N, but it sounds like way TMFA (Too Much...)for any benefit. For racecars with the stuff right on site, maybe.
Moon

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had nitrogen put in my Acura TL tires. it was a PIA. The tires were always needing more nitrogen added. However, by the time I get to the station where I could get nitrogen the tires had heated up and they would never put enough in so the tires were at the required cool pressure, the tire pressure warning light would come on every morning.

One time I was out of town, the temperature dropped 50 degrees, and the tires were low. I couldn't fine a place to get nitrogen.

I was happy to trade in the car because of this. Won't due nitrogen again.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Below a certain percentage nitrogen won't work. Try finding a shop that can get it at least 97% mountain view tires is where I get mine from cause they are a BG service center. All are in California btw. Sadly no other states yet. It works and I use it.
Just beware places like Costco they give it for free and at a lower percentage which does nothing more than what air does. My dads Harley and my focus sit alot and are taken out on the weekends and the air never goes down. Unless I take turns really really fast lol.

@wag. Just so you know if you can't get there just add air. It won't hurt anything just tell them you did that and they will take all the air out of the tires. Yes air negates the effects of nitrogen but if it's that low you should at least fill your tires up to not ruin them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I test drove the 2012 Honda Civic and Mazda 3 before buying my Focus and all three were offered with Nitorgen as standard. The dealers all played up the advantages discussed in this thread in terms of maintaining pressure, reduced termperature fluctuations etc.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Snake oil, Another way of making money.
Maybe if you are landing an Airbus you need it.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
the way you can tell if a car comes with nitrogen in the tires are by the green aircaps (black as standard on non-nitrogen cars)..i've seen this on the titanium models only i think? dont quote me though i think that's what i remember
Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 20 of 38 Posts