Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in-between the drama in my grounding thread and fixing an exhaust system that was wanting to separate between the tip and muffler sections I took a break and Nite-Shaded my chrome mirror caps.

I think they came out OK, still need some work but they'll do for now. Oh yeah, you may notice the Fender Vents are also Nite-Shaded now.

·
Registered
484 Posts
as always it looks a lot better. my mirrors came as the same color as my car so i dont have the chrome on there. i was actually thinking of painting over the black mirror holder part to make it completely blue. can you get a better picture of the fender vents?

it warmed up to about 40 degrees today, which is nice, but still not shading season!

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure, here you go.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm lucky and don't have to worry about the temp. I have infrared heat lamps in my shop so I just flick 'em on and warm everything up.

·
Registered
202 Posts
hey brad, did you remove the vents before you painted them or did you just tape off the area?

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed them, you have to get under the splash guard in the fender well (taking it off completely is even easier) and release two clips (I mean break two clips) and then gently pry the vent off. I used a putty knife and worked around them slowly. They are held on by those two clips and an adhesive applied all the way around them.

I'm not kidding about breaking the clips, as soon as you try to release them they're going to break. But no biggie, just use 3M automotive adhesive tape around the entire inside of the vent when you put it back on.

Disclaimer: The 3M tape is having a hard time making the vents maintain their shape and isn't sticking in a couple of places. I'm not sure if that's not my fault though as I may have changed their shape a little while they were sitting under my heat lamps. I'm going to pull them off again and try "3M Plastic Emblem & Trim Adhesive" to see if that keeps them sitting nicely.

·
Left Lane Warrior
3,946 Posts
Looks good, that's one thing I didn't like about the new Focus is that chrome vent thing, as much as I like chrome its just in a weird place. Good job.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Door handles are on the list! I haven't decided if I'm going to play with the plastic or not yet. If I do I guess I'll have to include the door pillars so they match up.

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
great job as always brad. i cant wait to drive out to the seattle area over the summer and see your ride!

·
Registered
452 Posts
I hope it lasts. My problem with that idea is that it came off too easily over time when I applied it to the emblem on the back. It rubbed off the chrome ring after six months and stayed on the emblem. I may have done it wrong however, as I applied it directly with no promoters.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't yet, but to protect them I will but a few coats of clear coat on them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts