Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a Buddy's '04 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE, I got a Nissan specific "code" of P1615, NATS fault.

History is of occasional "driveability" issues with jerky shifting at low speeds, especially when slowing down.

Nissan mechanic & an independent mechanic have both told the owner the cam position sensor (of which there are supposedly two) is "throwing a code" and may be at fault for the shifting issue.

Haven't done anything yet myself but read the code & clear it to see if it shows up again...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I have no direct experience with this problem, but if it's common then you should be able to find some advice online about it- through a Google search.

You might try locating it, removing it, and seeing if there is crud built up on the sensor that's affecting it. Sometimes metal shavings get on the magnets and cause issues. Other times you might find it to be cracked. Then you'd know it was time to replace it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotta admit, I have been too tied up with other jobs to even research what a "NATS" is....

Assuming it's really a transmission sensor, NOT the cam position others were looking at...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
According to my sage internets, NATS codes are related to Nissan antitheft measures (just like the Ford PATS system), specifically the key transponder not communicating with the PCM/ECU. Here's this page about the code: http://nissanhelp.com/diy/obd_codes/p1615_nissan.html

That doesn't jibe at all with driveability issues, and one would think if there were any antitheft DTCs present the car wouldn't even start.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
COOL!

THANK YOU!

Like I said, I hadn't looked it up yet, was wondering about "Nissan Automatic transmission sensor" or something of the type....

That clears it up !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts