Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I considered trying to purchase a CAI bypass valve so that my car would not hydrolock...Even though I live in San Diego where rain is scarce at best. I did some searching and some measurments and found out that the Nissan 350Z has the same size intake tubing as (at least) the focus D23(E)! Because of this I'm assuming the intake bypass valve that fits on the Nissan 350..will fit on the Focus as well! This product can be had online for 48.95 at various stores.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
i believe they arent model specific and go just by the size of the opening.

·
☼
7,494 Posts
You're assuming.. and we all know what that does.

The problem isn't the size of the intake, it's the placement. There is no good place for the BPV to fit on our intakes.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems to me that with all the brainpower and accomplishment and creation that goes on with the people on here that somebody would probably be able to find a good place for it. I may look into it and if I can get it to work then I'll post steps.

·
☼
7,494 Posts
Where would be a good place for it? There's nowhere before the MAFS that will allow a good placement. Everywhere else is lower than the actual filter.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the BV has to be above the filter to be fuctional? I dunno how the 2.0 CAI is set up but in my car the tube goes down towards the left wheel and then takes a hard curve upwards underneath the well. Are there requirements as to where the Valve has to be in order to be functional?

·
☼
7,494 Posts
What, is it going to be under it? I have the same CAI as you.. the two engines are basically the same except for very few things. It has to be before the MAFS and above the filter.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool thanks. Have you ever felt your engine bog during rain before? I just wanna know if I really am scooping up water or if it is something else causing this to happen. It is rare and only happens during good size rainstorms...but I have definitely felt my engine lose at least half it's power. Also does a bypass valve rob the intake of air?

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think I could do this without cutting the intake. I suppose I could just use a piece of silicone on warm days and switch back to bypass valve if there was going to be a big storm...dunno how big of a hassle that would be though..

·
☼
7,494 Posts
turbovation said:
Cool thanks. Have you ever felt your engine bog during rain before? I just wanna know if I really am scooping up water or if it is something else causing this to happen. It is rare and only happens during good size rainstorms...but I have definitely felt my engine lose at least half it's power. Also does a bypass valve rob the intake of air?
Supposedly you lose 1-2whp from the BPV.

·
Registered
534 Posts
A bypass valve is a pretty tricky proposition. If it opens too soon, you are passing unfiltered air to the engine. If it opens too late, you pass water. All the water you need to ruin an engine is the amount to fill the combustion volume of one cylinder. A bypass valve CANNOT be allowed to support a column of water higher than the distance between the air filter inlet and the bypass valve. I think that you need someone with a background in fluid dynamics to calculate the desired rating of the valve based upon the projected location of the valve and the air inlet to determine if the valve would function as needed.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If ANY water gets into the combustion chamber, you better hope it burns before the piston tries to compress it...You cant compress a liquid, so water would lead to trouble.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol, well unfortunately for me I don't know anybody with a background in fluid dynamics. Actually I don't thikn I've ever met somebody that meets those qualifications. Perhaps this proposition is too advanced for somebody like myself! Thanks for the inpub BAFO.

-DanK

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
BornAgainFordOwner said:
A bypass valve is a pretty tricky proposition. If it opens too soon, you are passing unfiltered air to the engine. If it opens too late, you pass water.

The bypass valve is a filter, there is no open or closed its strictly there to let air through if the main filter is either submerged or sopping wet.

As long as the the BPV is BEFORE the MAF and above the water level there will be no issue its states on the instillation instructions its best to be in line with the MAF OR on a straight line somewhere safe out of the way of the water. But putting it on a curve will not make it not do its job.

Its just another filter.

I have installed a AEM BPV on my friends Civic and my fiance's eclipse. I will personally NEVER have a cai without one on.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
honestly, to me it seems like a waste of money. i built a true cold air intake for my previous car, a 2003 hyundai accent 4-door, and i put a by-pass filter on it. and even though it was there, i still avoided all big puddles, just like i do now with my foci. 60 - 70$ can be spent nicely on something else.

but for added protection and self thoughts of protection, by all means go ahead.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts