Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I've just started modding my car, doing some of the fun stuff first. I already used a testors product to tint my grille turn signals and I film tinted my rear vent windows. I think I only need two more products to complete the "looks" of my white ZX3. Those are clear corners, and some tinted tails. Since CBrenn is down, I am trying to find some Nightshades. I'm just trying to find a place that would have them both, otherwise I'd have to spend almost the cost of the products just for shipping from the two different vendors, and that seems a waste. I've driven around Central New York stopping in a variety of places looking for the nightshades, and trying to see if they would order either of the products, with no avail.

Thus my question is, do you know an internet vendor that sells both 2003 ZX3 Clear corners and VHT Nightshades paint or do you know a buisness near Syracuse, NY that can get these products for me?

Thanks,
AJ

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ryan. It's actually kind of funny. Even though it seems like the turn signals are at least $10 more expensive than any place else I've seen them, the paint is relatively cheap, and the shipping is only $5. So, while the overal total of the items is $52, it's cheaper than the $65 I would have spent if I purchased the items from two different places. I'll let you know how it turns out.

My GF reminded me tonight at dinner that we should check out some of the Performance Car Parts places (where the "cool kids" hang out) to see if they have anything. If you're in CNY, I'm talking about Installations Unlimited and Rotella's Car Care. She reminded me that sometimes the specialty businesses can order the parts and they'll pay the shipping because they want to gain me as a customer, and usually they order more than just the one or two pieces that I want. Thanks again. Any other takers with reccomendations?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I'll be up in a few weeks if you can hold off until then.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chad, I would like to go the avenue of having my tails dipped, and I would like the reverse light tinted a bit. As I understand it you will no longer dip over the reverse light. I don't want it to be as dark as the rest of the light, just not the bright white that it currently is. I know you question the legality, and what fits within that. But if you're going to tint the parts that the other drivers on the road would be using, why not tint the part that I would be using?

Here is what is accepted as legal for the early 90's GT and VR6 Jetta's:

And this is what is factory stock on 1999-2003 Jettas:

So if that's what VW has done from the factory, I think it would be ok, if the reverse portion of our lights got tinted at least some.

In any event Chad, I think you do great work. I could wait a couple of weeks, if you would be willing to tint the reverse lights with a dip or two, while dipping the rest of the light a total of four. I think that's what you said the standard dip quantity is. Either way, we can discuss it more over PM if you like.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know how the formatting will turn out (This is copied from a word document) and this is the most complete listing of vendors, and COMPLETE prices that I've seen. Prices with shipping and handling. Whoa. If you know of more places, or can point to better deals let me know.

Vendor/Part Price S/H Total

Modern Performance
VHT NightShades, 2 Cans $17.99 $5.00 $22.99
Clear Bumper Lights $34.99 $5.00 $39.99
Items Together $52.98 $5.00 $57.98

Massive Speed System
VHT NightShades $10.49 $5.00 $15.49
Clear Bumper Lights $37.99 $5.00 $42.99
Items Together $48.48 $5.00 $52.48

Jegs
VHT NightShades $12.99 $13.00 $25.99
Clear Bumper Lights $45.99 $13.00 $58.99
Items Together $58.98 $13.00 $71.98

Summit
VHT NightShades $12.95 $9.95 $22.90

Pit Stop USA.com
VHT NightShades $9.96 $9.02 $18.98

Parts Train
Clear Bumper Lights $25.24 $9.90 $35.14

So unless I find a good deal at a local store, I'll be ordering from Modern Performance. While it is a little more expensive than Massive Speed Systems, you also get Two Cans of teh good stuff. Feel free to comment or add other info.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
violated - i think there may have been some confusion going around about tinting the reverse lenses out. if you want just one application of the tint, i can do that, to give it a bit of a smoked look, however, i just cannot tint it the same amount as the red housing.

i can do a two toned if you would like. i have done it in the past, but i was not thrilled with the results. it looked a little out of place to me, but i can surely do it if thats what you would like.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
RedSVT 03 said:
I would go with the clears, and skip the Nightshade. I have used it before, and was very disappointed with the outcome.
why disappointed? Didn't come with enough to do your whole car? Did it come off?

Just have patience, and spray it consistant, nice and slow, to give it that 'wet' look.

cbrenns lamps are really nice looking, probably the best choice, considering the quality... only down-side is the shipping costs...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I've had great luck with Nighstades. Sand the lights first with 1500 or 2000 grit wet sand. Polish them with some polishing compound. Clean them, spray the Nightshade. After that, clear coat and done. I find that if you clear coat after, more light shows through, the lights looks just as dark, and they are shiny instead of flat.

I have my front turns, sidemarkers, and tails done.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess this should have been better explained. I have a white car, and I'm trying to get a consistent color/appearance for different sections of the car. Simply put, I would like to reduce the number of colors that are visible on my car. I have painted my front grille lights with a testors transparent black paint. I have also started tinting my windows. To continue this effort I need to swap out my front corner lights from the orange factory ones to clear ones to gain a consistant 'white'. The other step is to tint the tail lights so that they blend in with the already black/tinted windows.

The reason I put clear corners and nightshades in the same post is because I want both items at the same time. And purchasing from more than one vendor is silly because then I would pay the shipping twice, and make two transactions.

I'm trying to work out a deal with Chad to have them dipped instead of spraying them. I know he does good work, and I think that I could do something almost as nice with nightshades if I had the time and facilities to do all of the prepping right. Anyone who complains about nightshades being bad after they did it to their lenses probably didn't do enough prepping. The paint can only be as good as the prep. Someone posted on here about painting show winning cars with a roller, yeah, a roller. All because the guy had excellent prepping skills.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts