Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been idling roughly latley, and I could'nt think of why...until browsing for some parts. When I first bought the car, I replaced the plugs with (hold the tomatoes) Bosch Platinum 2s. I'm going to order some NGK Iridiums, but I need to know where to get them. Thanks guys.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Advanced auto sold me mine for my SPI, they only cost me 30.00. Autozone dont have NGK only Denso (atleaste in my area), while Denso is a great brand too they are around 50.00 for four.

NGK are the best for price, and are equal to denso also there is no need to gap them. Just to let you know.

Jon

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah...PartsAmerica.com is the website for Advance Auto Parts. I was looking around there and found them for about $28. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm starting to lose my confidence in Advance Auto Parts.

I went Saturday morning and ordered my plugs from them, and they told me they would be in later that afternoon. I get off work, go up there and to my SURPRISE [eek]...they tell me the plugs haven't arrived, and probably won't arrive until the next day. Knowing that my parents are are going to church the next day, I ask them if they will pick them up for me. So Sunday rolls around and I call my mom and ask her if she got the plugs. She says yes, and then tells me that they actually DID arrive the day before...BUT THEY COULDN'T FIND THEM. [mad] Well I have my plugs so now everything's peachy.

Until later that week.

Seeing how I blew my valve cover seal and was in dire need of a new one, I happily hop into my mom's Chrysler Town & Country POS, and drive my little cheery bum to Advance. I ask the shopkeep for "one 2001 Ford Focus LX valve cover gasket set please" and he merrily replies "Alright. $32.99. I can have one here by tommorrow." [???:)] "What's this?" I ask "Are you telling me that you have none in stock?" "Yessir." he replies. So in a furious rage I stomp out of Advance, knocking down old ladies and breaking the seals on windshield wiper fluid along the way. I drive over to O'Reilly Auto Parts and get the exact same Fel-Pro gasket set...for $38.99. [?|] Backed into a corner and with nowhere to go, I purchase the overpriced piece of rubber and make my way home to begin repairs.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The last time I changed my plugs, I didn't use boot protector, and I broke off one of my wires on the plug when I tried to remove it. So I had to run BACK to Advance and get some Motorcraft wires.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i have the NGK 'S and love them. They work well with the livewire/screamindemon kit.

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
how is yours guy's idels now that you have new plugs, and spider with the new wires and pack?

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My idle is much smoother than it was when I had the Xact wires and Bosch platinum 2s.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I have to agree with dazada.my Idle is much much smoother than before.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I need to get some new plugs too, I was in advance the other day asing about replacement motorcraft plugs & he suggested 'autolite' as an alternative. These work well, or should I just get the NGK's he apparently didn't tell me about?

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Some say good things about autolite, but from what I was told they are no better than the Bosch +4's. get the NGK you will not be disapointed.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah...just go and get the NGK's. The guy at Advance said I would'nt be dissapointed, and I wasn't. [woot]

·
Registered
461 Posts
are they easy to install, someone today was telling me about gapping, fire order and timing ... sounds like stuff I wouldn't be interested in ... help?

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
pLaYa2284 said:
are they easy to install, someone today was telling me about gapping, fire order and timing ... sounds like stuff I wouldn't be interested in ... help?
NGK Iridium's come pre-gapped. Does that guy telling you about firing order and timing even know what spark plugs are, or was he trying to sell you some extra stuff?

·
Registered
325 Posts
NGK says you can regap if needed a special tool is used.. (the single point type) If you go to their website there is so much information

·
Registered
325 Posts
pLaYa2284 said:
I need to get some new plugs too, I was in advance the other day asing about replacement motorcraft plugs & he suggested 'autolite' as an alternative. These work well, or should I just get the NGK's he apparently didn't tell me about?
For some reason there is a myth about Ford using other plug than Autolite. The car doesnt run right....[???:)] I disagree. But the auto part stores still insist on Autolites. Ha even my Duretec comes with NGK's [:D]

·
Registered
461 Posts
well autolite I believe is their store barnd (like a target brand aspirin) whereas motorcraft is what is used on the fords in stock config. I could be wrong ...

I guess I am hearing the plugs would be a direct swap then, no extra stuff nedding to be done?

The guy I was telling you about was my dad, we were talking about getting a tune on our other car the other day & I was suggesting we do it ourselves. He used to work on & race older (pre-70's) model mustangs, and is kind of intimidated by a lot of 'computerized' cars nowadays I guess? We do some light maintenance ourselves, but nothing serious.

I am a fan of doing everything myself, as a learning experience and money saving tactic.

I guess I'll check out NGK's website & make a decision soon then ... has anyone had any problems with the Focus Sport wires I was looking at?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts