Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT: I am also looking for general improvements, not really looking for cosmetics atm.

So payday is quickly approaching (the 1st) and I would like to have something lined up to be done to my car.

I am thinking tumbler delete. I have seen a couple threads on how its been done but that is a little bit more than I think I could do right now to my daily driver. I just don't know. Think I will go out to the junk yard and pull a manifold off a car just to see how its done and maybe take that one home if its flaps are good. If I pull a manifold from the junk yard, should I go for a 1:1 replacement (2.0 2005 ZX3) or would one from a 2.3/5 be better?

My car has 160K+ miles on it now so I am leaning more towards doing a timing set replacement that I see on rockauto, I seen a couple times that while doing that you might as well do the water pump while you're there so I would do that at the same time. Should I also replace my thermostat while I am at it? I see that people have been going with a 180F stat. I think my water coolant recovery tank has a small hole in it so I will replace that at the same time.
Before messing with my water delivery I will do a flush, any recommendations there or just keep adding fresh water till I am satisfied and then put in the correct antifreeze/water combination.

I noticed a lug stud on my car has stripped so I will be replacing that one and while I am at it I may go a head and do all of them.

Any suggestions on deletes worth performing?
At 160K+ miles in, what also should I be looking at?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'd recommend just a drain & fill on the coolant myself, getting the mix right on a system that doesn't drain great is a pain. AND you aren't getting the hose water out...

Why mess with "timing set"? It's not like you have a timing belt....

Read up more in the duratec section before thinking about didling with the tumble flaps.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Afaik I have a timing chain, are you suggesting that it and the other parts that come in a set are wear free and never need changing?

Ill admit I haven't read everything here on tge tumbler flaps.. but I do know I need to do something as the noise is annoying and id like to not have pieces of tumbler sucked into my engine.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anything specific on the flaps I should look at here?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay so I read that thread. Check for wear, slack, and the auto tensioners.

I'd recommend just a drain & fill on the coolant myself, getting the mix right on a system that doesn't drain great is a pain. AND you aren't getting the hose water out...
So you're saying that the system isn't easily drained?

Tumble flaps it really depends how bad they're getting, then look at your options between replacement/removal & tune/Knockoff Cosworth intake?
No way to tell without removing the manifold right? I am looking up cosworth intakes now.
EDIT: they are expensive, wow.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yellowhatch's knockoff Cosi & a link to the thread is at the end of that cam chain thread I linked. Unless you start hearing chain slap from a bum tensioner/too much wear you prob. don't have to worry about the cam chain. Life of the engine in most cases with these. As others posted, it varies with car/bike model. Some are known for problems, this one isn't.

For coolant, unless yours is BAD (full of gunk) a flush won't help & is a pain to do right.

You need to know the coolant capacity to add half that in straight coolant to a drained system, hopefully there isn't enough water left in there to prevent adding enough. Then test and change percentage as necessary.

Just draining what will come out from the rad. drain then refill with mixed coolant is a LOT easier. Do it again next year if you want...

Yeah, you'd have to take it off to see exactly what they're like for the flaps.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If your worried about the cleaning the gunk in the reservoir put some crushed ice in there and shake it arrow d then rinse it out with water. That will get that nice and clean.
Thanks.

@Sailor - I seen that thread. I have only glanced over the first post. Will read more tonight.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
For general improvements I'd recommend spark plus, fuel filter, coolant(as mentioned) and if it's a 5 speed, a tranny fluid change is always nice.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have already done these- of course not the coolant as of yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts