Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
By all means, move backward in the name of progress. They're probably just trying to figure out a way to offer more suspension upgrade options, so when you notice the base model handles like a Radio Flyer, you'll opt for the next level up.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Possibly so they can sell more STs and RSes (<---is that correct?)?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Possibly so they can sell more STs and RSes (<---is that correct?)?
I'm assuming they just want to sell the focus as cheap as they can and they know that people who want more will be forced to get the st or rs. I don't think that's right. I believe that most people who will buy this car in the future will get bored and will buy another brand who will think it's car is more exciting, thus not retaining customers. Hopefully they will reconsider this.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
"Vignale" sub-brand?

Taking an old Aston name for a top tier version of models? Like "Titanium" is now?

Decontent of suspension wouldn't be good. VW has been back & forth with the Golf/Rabbit, started with twist beam rear then later high line models had true independent rear, on & off models in different years.

with the Fiesta using a version of that, it might come to US Focus models.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
This^^^^^^+ I see the next Fiesta redo is going to be slightly bigger.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Ah, the good old days of Ford North America rears its ugly head again.
Thank you Mr.Mark Fields for bringing back twist beam rear suspension, low grade interior materials and giving my North American Focus fans the middle finger.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Must be pretty hard to build the same platform for the different vehicle lines, that made up of ''one ford'' thanx to Alan Mulally. Now we have a few ppl saying otherwise & possibly costing more money too.

·
Registered
466 Posts
car companies realize that most drivers 90%+ dont care about driving dynamics. some just want a car that drives "good enough" or "point a to b" so now you have to step up into sport models to get that better experience

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does anybody know if Escape and Fusion will be decontented too compared to their Euro versions the Kuga and Mondeo? If the head of Ford thinks the future is automated cars maybe he is just getting the public ready for that shift. After all who cares how a taxi handles.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
car companies realize that most drivers 90%+ dont care about driving dynamics. some just want a car that drives "good enough" or "point a to b" so now you have to step up into sport models to get that better experience
True. But I wonder how much worse the Focus's sales would've been these last 4 years if it hadn't been hailed by the automotive press as one of the best-driving cars in the segment. If it had average or below average handling, AND the DCT woes, it might have been a sales disaster from the beginning.

·
Registered
410 Posts
This is reinforced by the fact that the mass of the US driving public doesn't want/need a manual transmission.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The article is unfortunately true, the Focus is set to follow in the footsteps of the Mk7 Golf and offer 2 different rear suspension arrangements. North America (as confirmed in recent spy photos taken in Michigan) will use a torsion beam arrangement, whereas other markets such as ASEAN and Europe will use an updated version of the Control Blade multi link IRS.

North American Focus: Next Ford Focus getting longer, wider - Autoblog (Can clearly see a torsion beam)

European Focus: Ford Testing Next-Generation Focus in Winter Conditions - First Spyshots - autoevolution (Multi link IRS)

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
If the DCT problem had been fixed right the FIRST time without multiple clutch revisions then this generation Ford would have been VERY popular. Low sales must be driving this decontenting. Who knew the DCT would lead to this.
This^^^^^^
The article is unfortunately true, the Focus is set to follow in the footsteps of the Mk7 Golf and offer 2 different rear suspension arrangements. North America (as confirmed in recent spy photos taken in Michigan) will use a torsion beam arrangement, whereas other markets such as ASEAN and Europe will use an updated version of the Control Blade multi link IRS.

North American Focus: Next Ford Focus getting longer, wider - Autoblog (Can clearly see a torsion beam)

European Focus: Ford Testing Next-Generation Focus in Winter Conditions - First Spyshots - autoevolution (Multi link IRS)
If you look at the different pix of the rear shot, you can see no rear camber & quite a few ppl want to eliminate it when lowering their car.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
A torsion beam axle, I can deal w/ a Fist, but not a foci. The best handling beam axle I've driven is a '09 Cobalt ss sedan, 260hp, no lift shift, brembo brakes & a diff. Next beam axle car would be the Nissan sentra se-r spec v. Lot of time & engineering to make these basic cars really handle w/o redoing the to a irs & Ford wants to throw all of it away, there's no way Ford can make a beam axle handle like irs, specially since we all & many others already know that the foci handles great. Try driving a couple Vdub's= one w/ & the other w/o a irs.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts