Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi everyone here’s my dilemma, just finished installing a used auto transmission in my daughter’s zx5. As the repair manual instructed, I started the engine and shifted thru all the gears while pressing on the brake. Engine ran good and all gears seemed to engage normally. While the engine was idling there was a slight burning smell, wasn’t sure if it was electrical or if I accidentally got some transmission fluid on the muffler. Turned engine off, when I tried to start restart the car,no crank, no start, nothing. After ensuring battery was fully charged, terminals cleaned, all fuses and relays good, there was continuity with all wires going to the starter, and starter worked - still no crank no start. I then discovered that the protective sheathing on a cluster of wires, that connected to the gear shifting arm on the transmission, had been worn away. There was a heavy grey wire that had been exposed and melted and looked like it shorted out against the engine or something. I repaired the damaged wire with a butt connector, and cleaned all other connections. Thought that would’ve fix the problem but no luck. Sanded paint off chassis ground points on driver’s side of engine compartment, and ensured the starter was grounded - still no start no crank. Also discovered there’s a 40 amp fuse instead of 30 amp in the “engine maintenance” slot in the engine compartment fuse box.

Maybe the shorted wire fried the PCU?? The anti theft disabled the engine?? I’m at my wits end. Help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts