Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, [cheers]

Just wondering if someone on here could help me with a problem that seems to be quickly developing.

I have a 52reg focus st170, and just recently whenever i turn right, my handbrake light comes on. I say the problem is developing quickly because it now happens when i turn left, and sometimes when im going in a straight line! [eek]

I dont know if this is pshycological or not, but the brake pedal seems to press further in before anything happens too, the brakes dont seem as keen as they were.

I have since checked the brake fluid which seems to be hovering around the min mark, but i have never been in a car where the brake fluid needs topping up before? does this sound like a leak, or is it normal to have to top up the brake fluid?

Also - no idea if this is related or not, but the clutch seems to have started slipping, but only sometimes. Sometimes you can put quite a lot of revs on and release the clutch and it will wheelspin, then other times the car doesnt go anywhere as the clutch slips. Weird!

If the brake fluid does need topping up (which it seems to need!) what type of brake fluid do i put in? i really don't fancy using a tree to stop my car tomorrow!! [bigcry]

Cheers!!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Low brake fluid.
I was having similar issues over the last month. I put brake fluid in for the first time in 8 years, lol seriously, and all is well now.
I'd bet that will also fix your issue.

DOT3 brake fluid is what it should take, not sure what the UK spec would be though. Double check your owners manual.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorted!

Thought i would post back with resolution, put brake fluid in this morning, and all now seems ok! brake pedal has firmed up again, and light has gone away. Hopefully it is not a leak and the problem won't come back!

[thumb]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts