Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have to have that car working this week, so I am going to have to pay $100 more to get the part from Ford, if they have it in stock. Or rent a car, or something.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for that, sailor.....I read it and will insist on a written explanation for why they are not complying with the epa law. The catalytic converter has caused me to flunk emissions, it is not my fault they built it into the exhaust manifold. I will get it in writing, but I don't have time to wait around. I have to have a legal car fast. Someone won't get to work if I don't get it going, and I really can't spend $1200 on this. The part is $298 on line, but I can't wait. Ford is $378. I will need a gasket, too. I hope it comes off reasonable, and not like typical exhaust components.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Yup, the whole thing doesn't add up as I've seen people get replacement TCM's under the same warranty (as part of the ECU system) and even seen Ford list that as one of the successive coverages for that part.

CAT & ECU are two of the major parts covered.

That parts price is cheaper than I expected, can't figure the $1,200 bill if it's that low.

You can recover that cost at least later, more time you could def. get it done for you. Hope they relent (realize the screwup) so it's done for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I don't know how much the gaskets are, and it is recommended to change the studs out, too. Ford prices will probably be around $450. The labor is probably based on a typical change out at mileage around 150K.....which would be a lot more rust and difficulty removing. I understand that.....I don't think this will be that bad. It would be helpful if I could recover the part costs down the road....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, I installed the exhaust manifold/cat last weekend and have been driving it around to reset the codes. Hoping to finally get it past emissions so I can register it and get plates. Had to shovel snow this morning, so I started it up and let it idle to warm up. Climbed in to go to work and noticed the battery light is on. I resist the urge to break something, get my
dmm out and check the voltage. Reads 15.1 volts. That is high. Revving the engine did not change the voltage......odd.....the battery is starting the car fine. It acts like it is not sensing the voltage at the battery. I saw there was a TSB on wiring problems. Anyone seen this problem before?
I am seriously thinking of unloading this car.....I have a thousand in parts in this car and I have only had it one month.......like the way it drives, but with no warranty on anything I am getting cold feet. I did a search for battery light on, but mostly just get info on older cars. Sailor, have you seen this in other MK3's?
Thanks for your input, guys. It has helped me through some difficult moments. Especially last weekend trying to figure out how to get that exhaust manifold out of the car.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Not in MkIII's yet, if the alt is anything like the prev. ones you have a sensor/command wiring connector at the alternator and I'd suggest checking that & it's wiring since you've been working in there.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts