Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just went from and ATX focus to an SVT...I am very new to using a manual tranny and I have a couple questions about shifting in a 1/4 mile race and just in general. I read HalfTimes 1/4 mile review and I thought it was excellent![thumb] but I still have a question or two.

Do I go to 7100 rpms before shifting at every gear 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th?

I have heard of people shifting with out using a clutch? I am assuming this is a bad idea, but I would like somebodies opinions.[paranoid]

I am not really familiar with some of the phases people use to describe shifting, like...
double clutching
dump the clutch
feather the clutch
pop the clutch
float the clutch
ect...

Anybody's help on this would be great!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Actually...in the "how to" sticky in this forum there was a link to a thread on how to get the best times ;)

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=1041704#post1041704

as for shifting w/o the clutch....I personally wouldn't do it...but i hear that if done properly it doesn't have any ill-effects (all from what i read/heard...)

Now...i'm not all that familiar with those terms either...but i'll give it a go

double clutching - If i'm not mistaken it goes like this...

press clutch, take it out of gear, let go of clutch...press again, put it in gear (of course all this has to be done pretty quickly

dump the clutch - rev the car...then just let go of the clutch

Pop the clutch - i think it may be the same thing as dumping the clutch

feather and float i believe are also the same...feathering is basically reving the car and slowly lifting off the clutch while your pressing down the gas. So you never really let fully go of the clutch while taking off.

If i'm wrong then by all means correct me [thumb]

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help! Yeah that link you gave me is HalfTimes 1/4th shifting tips I was talking about. I already read it and it was very useful, I just had a couple questions on top of that is all. Im glad to hear I am not the only one very familiar with those terms!

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
my dad used to "powershift" in his 98 v6 f150 5 speed. i personally don't trust myself yet to try it. buy yeah you need high revs to shift without clutching.

and besided i think "feathering" the clutch puts more wear on it then powershifting [:p]

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
there is also rev matching where you can match your revs to your road speed and gently glide into gear without clutching

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
OrangeSVTguy said:
and besided i think "feathering" the clutch puts more wear on it then powershifting [:p]
Lol, i'm sure that it does...the few times i feathered the clutch i had to live with the burnt smell. I haven't tried (nor will i) powershifting...mainly cause i'm extremely paranoid that the first time i try i'm gonna do it completely wrong and end up completely destroying the gear :p so that being said...i'll stick to using the clutch

·
Registered
864 Posts
no you do not need high revs to power shift.

actually it is a good idea becuase it keeps the wear and tear away from your clutch, and doesnt hurt anything else.

here is what power shifting, or clutchless shifting does, and how it works

if you notice when you are 1st gear doing lets say 3100 rpm
you shift into second. you push the clutch and do the shift, then when you let off the clutch, the engine goes to 2300 RMP.
the reason it went to 2300 RMP is becuase that is the speed at which the engine = actaull MPH the car is going when it is in 2nd gear, if you are following me.
and the clutch is just separating the engine and the transmittion as to not have to wait for the rmp of the engine to go to 2300RPM, but instead forcing the engine to 2300 RPM.\
POWER SHIFTING, is when you are going (as an example, this will work the same at and speed and in any gear) at 3100 RPM in 1st gear, you ease off the gas pedal, and pull the car out of 1st at the same time. it souldnt have to be forced out, but should come out easy. then you take the shifter and set it at the (gate) of second gear, and lightly push it toward going into gear. as the engine slows itself down to the equilization speed (speed at which the RPM of the engine meets the actuall MPH of the car) it will eventually get to that speed, or 2300 RPM. when the engine drops to 2300RPM, everything will sync up for about 1/10th of a second (when the engine speed = the MPH) if you are lightly pushing the shifter agains the gait of the next gear (in this case 2nd) the shifter will fall right into gear without ever using the clutch.
now it sounds complicated, but i gave a very in depth description.
Now go try it.

i usually shift with the clutch, but its really cool for impressing your friends, or if you ar trying to save your clutch, or in a very mellow driving mood, because it isnt and instant shift like using the clutch. it is also good, becuse it doesnt for the RPM's of the engine to drop instantly, instead it allows the engine to slow itself down.

also superchop, you should try it, the worst thing that can happen if you try it, is you will miss the sync point and grid the gear a little, nothing hurt, we all do it.

also a more complex move is clutchless up shift, but i will leave the description on that to a later date. its not really that hard, but i'm tired of typing.

-Jon-

·
Registered
467 Posts
well I am not brave enough to try shifting the trans without the clutch, first I know ford doesn't offer and rebuild parts for the getrag and I don't wan't to buy a new trans assy, if anyone does know where to get rebuild parts let me know, also I used to "power shift" in my 2000 zx3 it wasn't bad but it doesn't always fall into gear like it should but if your good at it then all is well

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
magic2119 said:
no you do not need high revs to power shift.

actually it is a good idea becuase it keeps the wear and tear away from your clutch, and doesnt hurt anything else.

here is what power shifting, or clutchless shifting does, and how it works

if you notice when you are 1st gear doing lets say 3100 rpm
you shift into second. you push the clutch and do the shift, then when you let off the clutch, the engine goes to 2300 RMP.
the reason it went to 2300 RMP is becuase that is the speed at which the engine = actaull MPH the car is going when it is in 2nd gear, if you are following me.
and the clutch is just separating the engine and the transmittion as to not have to wait for the rmp of the engine to go to 2300RPM, but instead forcing the engine to 2300 RPM.\
POWER SHIFTING, is when you are going (as an example, this will work the same at and speed and in any gear) at 3100 RPM in 1st gear, you ease off the gas pedal, and pull the car out of 1st at the same time. it souldnt have to be forced out, but should come out easy. then you take the shifter and set it at the (gate) of second gear, and lightly push it toward going into gear. as the engine slows itself down to the equilization speed (speed at which the RPM of the engine meets the actuall MPH of the car) it will eventually get to that speed, or 2300 RPM. when the engine drops to 2300RPM, everything will sync up for about 1/10th of a second (when the engine speed = the MPH) if you are lightly pushing the shifter agains the gait of the next gear (in this case 2nd) the shifter will fall right into gear without ever using the clutch.
now it sounds complicated, but i gave a very in depth description.
Now go try it.

i usually shift with the clutch, but its really cool for impressing your friends, or if you ar trying to save your clutch, or in a very mellow driving mood, because it isnt and instant shift like using the clutch. it is also good, becuse it doesnt for the RPM's of the engine to drop instantly, instead it allows the engine to slow itself down.

also superchop, you should try it, the worst thing that can happen if you try it, is you will miss the sync point and grid the gear a little, nothing hurt, we all do it.

also a more complex move is clutchless up shift, but i will leave the description on that to a later date. its not really that hard, but i'm tired of typing.

-Jon-

I don't know how everyone else shifts around here but doing easy 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, etc shifts DOES NOT WEAR the clutch hardly at all. If you shift properly you shouldn't (or any passengers) be able to feel the car even shift- hence no slipping on the disk and such and therefore no wear. Shofting without the clutch will always wear the synchonizers unless it is times PERFECTLY and even then it would be a much harsher engagement than a nice easy shift with the clutch. [:)]

·
Registered
511 Posts
Anaxagoras1986 said:
I don't know how everyone else shifts around here but doing easy 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, etc shifts DOES NOT WEAR the clutch hardly at all. If you shift properly you shouldn't (or any passengers) be able to feel the car even shift- hence no slipping on the disk and such and therefore no wear. Shofting without the clutch will always wear the synchonizers unless it is times PERFECTLY and even then it would be a much harsher engagement than a nice easy shift with the clutch. [:)]
My passengers in my old car (5-speed GTI) always used to tell me that it felt like if I where driving an automatic. I haven't quite gotten to that level yet with the SVT, but on the flip side, I can speed shift and heel and toe much better with the Focus. Practice makes perfect (but only if you can recognize your mistakes and fix them [:D] )

P.s. I am way too afraid of the Getrag to even think about powershifting.....besides with that stupid dual mass flywheel and POS clutch, I would probably blow something up the first time I tried it.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Artood2s said:
My passengers in my old car (5-speed GTI) always used to tell me that it felt like if I where driving an automatic. I haven't quite gotten to that level yet with the SVT, but on the flip side, I can speed shift and heel and toe much better with the Focus. Practice makes perfect (but only if you can recognize your mistakes and fix them [:D] )

P.s. I am way too afraid of the Getrag to even think about powershifting.....besides with that stupid dual mass flywheel and POS clutch, I would probably blow something up the first time I tried it.

Same here. I could shift my 5-speed in the Porsche and it was like an automatic. I really trained myself how to shift it when I first got it because it had the rubber-puck clutch that ripped and gave the entire driveline excessive backlash. If you didn't shift it just right it felt like you were about to blow a half shaft it would slam so hard. Luckily I had the clutch replaced (about 2k in parts + labor) and after that the thing shifts smoother than silk [:)]

The SVT Focus tranny is alot more bitchy and difficult. The gearing is also not very well planned out imo. I really wish 1st and 2nd were much lower...

·
Registered
183 Posts
... Maybe i'm totaly off here, but i always thought "powershifting" was when your dragging and you dont let off the gass when you shift in to the next gear. full throttle, push in the clutch and put in the next gear. saves a few miliseconds when in a neck and neck drag race.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts