Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...thanks for the space...2003 SPI 2.0 auto. approx. 160K. Basic maintenance done, have not changed timing belt or anything, just routine maintenance, oil change, spark plugs, etc. Two days ago son comes home from work. Says nothing, car was fine. Goes out bout an hour later, tries to start, will not start. Comes in, tells me car wont start. I go out, turn the key, car starts but is barely running and making a LOUD noise seemingly from the pass side but stalled within 3-5 seconds. Tried to restart no luck. Tried next day to start. Same thing, started, rough, noise, I shut off within 5-10 seconds. Push into garage, took off stuff to check/change timing belt. I have front upper cover off, belt looks good, tight. Took valve cover off, rockers look ok, nothing loose. Should I try to pull a code here? Any other ideas? motor is turning over freely. Help!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
light is on with key on. obviously cant start now - does that light on mean there is a code in the ecm?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Sounds like you dropped a valve seat take plugs out look at the piston with a good flashlight you will see the mess if it dropped one.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The CEL should come on when you turn the key to RUN(koeo). The 1st thing to do when DXing is to check for codes, even if the CEL was not onat KOER you could still have a pending code.every DIYer should have at least a code reader. I bought one at Costcos 2 years ago for $20

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Uncle Woody is right. Grab yourself a $20 code reader at Autozone or Advanced and make your life easier.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Uncle Woody is right. Grab yourself a $20 code reader at Autozone or Advanced and make your life easier.
This has been getting great reviews on the forums for at least a year now
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

I just looked at the link again.they are out of stock for another week or so....they were suppose to come out with a newer Model with a little higher price. maybe they will offer both.....

here is another one
http://www.google.com/products/cata...=7nEcTuiyNMbegQeapqi-CQ&sqi=2&ved=0CF4Q8wIwAg

just buy a cheap one if you are broke......you will save the money in gas driving to autozone a few times.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yuck

I took the plugs out, and took a flashlight out. Cylinder 4 (furthest from front) had what appeared to be metal pieces on top of the piston. THe spark plug showed some evidence of small scratches. I took a tiny long screwdriver and put it down the spark plug hole, and was able to move the piece of metal. I am assuming the worst. Is it possible that the head can be removed and rebuilt with new seats? Is it possible that because there was little to no run time, that the piston and cylinder are ok? I will still check codes, though. Big time budget here, divorce, lost job, etc.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Is it possible that because there was little to no run time, that the piston and cylinder are ok? I will still check codes, though.
It's unlikely the piston and cylinder are OK although only removing the head and an inspection would tell for sure. A bent rod is also likely.
Don't bother with checking for codes. There is no DTC code for your situation.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Most likley the head is gone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts