Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've been a long time VW owner, 14 years and 6 VW's. I've always liked the SVT and am looking to purchase one. I wanted some advice on the following listing. Mainly, I know the price is a little high but it only has 29k and is supposed to be in great condition. I don't want to be a low baller, just fair to both of us. Any suggestions on a fair price to offer? I am going to look at it tomorrow.

Any things in particular I should look out for? Thanks for the help!!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ar=2003&pager.offset=25&max_price=&cardist=47

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
ehhhhh... no euro package........

its nice.. but euro package with hid's imo, is really what makes an svt stand out from the rest

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
i'd at least get an 04 with or without euro package or 03 with euro package.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Hmm, that price is a little high. Since the run ended the SVT has held its value very well, generally they seem to go for NADA retail from dealers, I'd look that up and work from there. I'd think the car's worth more like 10.5k tho, maybe 11k with that few miles (my 04 just ticked over 40k).

Problem areas, there are a few notable ones to look out for. Due to a design flaw in the OEM clutch, they wear very, very quickly, and the dual-mass flywheel can apparently fail catastrophically. Some have been lucky enough to have the clutch and flywheel replaced on Ford's money, most take it as an excuse to upgrade to aftermarket. If the clutch/flywheel is defective, you may hear a rattling noise coming from low in the engine bay when the car's idling with the stick neutral. It doesnt always present (I only just noticed mine, and its intermittent) so you may not be able to tell during the test drive. Count on about an extra $1000 to replace with clutch by 50k miles, and just count yourself lucky if you dont end up needing to.

Engine itself is apparently solid, with the exception of a rare lean-out in cylinder 3 burning a hole thru the cylinder. Doesnt happen much it seems.

Transaxle, I've had no problems, I gather that its about as reliable as the MTX75, maybe moreso.

Generally the cars seem to have gotten better as they aged. The 03 and 04 models had the fewest problems, or perhaps just arent old enough to present yet. They all have their fair share of problems tho.

Not a direct problem with the model, but they tend towards insane insurance rates. Worth getting a quote.

Good luck, keep us informed.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
If you're true vdub lover....i'm sorry to say no matter how hard you try the SVTF won't ever fill up your heart as much as a vdub....if you can g'head and get a MKV.....much better car overall and more potential for power too.....I miss my mkII even though it was just an 8V.....*sigh*

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
The clutch problem was a manufacturing issue at the factory concerning alignment. It was supposed to be corrected halfway through the 03 build. The 02 did have the most problems and do not have the 5/100k powertrain warranty from the factory (added halfway through 03). That was the clincher in buying mine. I was looking at Jettas too, when I bought mine. I am really happy with it, it's a blast to drive. I don't think a whole lot of additional mods are needed.

Other problems:

Loose heatshields (big deal)
DSI breaking (plastic dual stage intake)
There is an update to the stock tune

I paid 12k for my 03 with 10k miles over a year ago.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, I appreciate all of the replies. I'll still go see it but maybe I'll hold out for a newer model. They sure aren't easy to come by though. I'll post after I go see it tomorrow.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just recently bought an 03' Infra-Red 3dr with 28K miles for $12,100 out the door, plus a tank of gas. I reckon for that low of miles, asking $11,999 is fair. Although I wouldnt pay it. Most importantly, show up with a cashiers check for the absolute LOWEST you think he'll go, let's say 10G, then take 2G in cash. This way you can bargain for the price you want. And you'd be surprised how much effect tossing that 10G cashiers check on the table will have. It's there to see, not in the bank, and human nature is to snatch up 10G on a table.

DEFINATELY check for the transaxle rattle at idle. Seeing as it's an 02', you aren't going to have the warranty for any repairs. That in itself would be enough to make me not want to buy the car. However, i think they're supposed to repair that problem under the TSB regardless of warranty. Is this correct? I've been wondering this myself. i've got 2 months on my warranty left. Any opinions?

Also leave the door open as you turn over the engine to accessory, and listen for the DSI motor surging. That my mean the DSI clip is broken, so you're variable intake won't be working either. I'd personally go for an 03'-04' that still has the warranty.

and CARFAX CARFAX CARFAX!

-ryanM

·
Registered
550 Posts
Dont do it man.. ive been a Vdub man for a long time and i gave up an mk2 with a 1.8t in it for an r32. r32 just wasnt powerful enough for the price that iwas paying for it. so i bought the svt thinkin i could really hop it up since i couldnt find a deal on a 337 or 20AE and boy do i wish i had waited. :(

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I own both a GTI VR6 (MKIV) and an SVTF and love them both. The SVTF is definitely the better handler, but the VW has more easy power potential and they're great cruisers. Just depends on what you like in your car. The SVTF would annihlate the GTI at the AutoX (where I spend quite a bit of time), but the GTI is always the pick for long drives. I am just glad that I have both!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had a 1.8t MKiV before my SVT. Absolutely no regrets. I think this car has more character. And it has a better feel in my opinion.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Dude, thats a good price, dealer trade in is $10,000 for an 02 SVTF. The car has 29,000 miles on it. I dont know if you realize, but 12k/ year is avg. $11,500 and you should be on your way home with it with both of you happy...

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
^^ I agree, the price seems fair to me, and Carrera is right as well....my svtf kills the gti's in autoX.

·
Registered
666 Posts
WAIT! HOLD THE PHONE!

Why is the SVTF badge on the wrong side!? Was this hit in the rear and then after painting the hatch they couldnt remember where to put the badge????

ASK!!

Edit: Pic wont show, look at the rear veiw and then enlarge....I thought the pic was flip-flopped but the exhuast is correct.

·
Registered
666 Posts
[;)]

I used to work at a body shop. I always notice cars with paint on mufflers and stupid little things like that.

·
Registered
550 Posts
mike i thought you were selling your car ? or was that a diff turbo svt that russ yanked the turbo off of that day?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
04svtfoci said:
Dont do it man.. ive been a Vdub man for a long time and i gave up an mk2 with a 1.8t in it for an r32. r32 just wasnt powerful enough for the price that iwas paying for it. so i bought the svt thinkin i could really hop it up since i couldnt find a deal on a 337 or 20AE and boy do i wish i had waited. :(
A Mk2 with a 1.8T? I can't believe you gave that up. Well I'll take that back....I used to have a STi too but having a house and a family, other things took priority.

Good catch on the rear badge, I didn't know that but I'll be sure to ask!! See, I knew I came to the right place. I saw a SVT owner in The Car Lounge while I was on VWVortex and I asked him which forum I should go to....and here I am.

Oh, even better news, I found an '04 SVT at a dealer today. It is about an hour from me but it is near the '02 so I am going to see both tomorrow. The '04 has 27k, 6spd, and a sunroof. The description doesn't say much beyond that, nor does it list the price. It is at a Subaru dealer, wonder if the guy bought a WRX or STi? Anyhow, I tried to find out some more but I think they are already closed. Any which way, I am psyched about tomorrow.

I'll be sure to report my findings. [:)]

·
Registered
505 Posts
I live in deland about 1 hour away from you and there is an euro orange one for sale at prime car, the same place I got mine. Should be around 10gs. Good people to deal with too.

·
Registered
550 Posts
ahah i got sick of replaceing cv joints etc in the front end shftat6 i had allot of power under the hood and i beat the car like it owed me money 2 of my friends own a euro tunning shop in pa where im from this was our lil side project.. they also own probly 4 corrados all g60 except one immaculate 20k vr6, and a mk1 rabbit gti and an mk3 vr6 all done up. oh yea and a plain old mk2 16v like mine was before the swap.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts