Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand new to the forum and brand new to owning a Ford Focus...I just purchased a 01 Focus Se with the DOHC in it...after getting it home I am finding out more and more wrong with it :-( but I am going to start plugging away at each thing...Starting with replacing the rear wheel drum/wheel bearings...so here is the question...I finally got the old drum off and went to put the new one on...well it appears part of the old one is still on the axle...I am not 100 percent so I took a pic and wanted to see what you guys thought...I can not get it to budge at all...so if it is suppose to come off I am not sure how I am going to get it done. Should I just buy a new axle end (sorry don't know actual part name) that the axle nut screws on or what? Any help would be a huge help and I am sure you guys are going to see a bunch of me on here. So please forgive my "stupid" questions I may have...Thanks

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
I am not sure how to get that off, doesnt look fun though.

Here is what it looks like when new:

If it was me, i would just replace the axel and spend the $40 to make life easier but I live in Ohio and have fought too many battles with rusted bolts that replacing just sounds like the easier fight. Assuming those four bolts holding the axel on come off easily. When I replaced my drums for discs, the axels werent that hard to remove, just need an extension on my ratchet. 13mm bolts and they get torqued to 49ft

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info...sounds stupid but what is the proper name of the part in the pic??? Thanks again...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh wow I feel stupid ;-( I am just getting flustered with this, lol...it's suppose to be a really easy fix and turning into quit the project just because these stupid drums...terrible old fashion design that I am just not real familiar with...Thanks Again

·
Registered
521 Posts
Looks like one of the inner races from the bearing is still on there. Pretty challenging to get that off, it's easier just to buy a new stub axle. When I removed mine, one of the four bolts broke off, so you'll want to be prepared for that.

You'll find that everyone here shares your opinion about the drums. If you're lucky, this will take care of them for a long while.

Toby

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. Appreciate the info...I went ahead and ordered a new spindle...when you snapped one of your bolts. Did you just retap it and put a new bolt in it? They come with new bolts? Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Another problem I have ran across is it came with a new parking brake cable...the old one the cable broke on...but the end that goes it the drum doesn't have a spring on it...I have no idea were it is, should it have come with them on there? I obviously have the old spring but there isn't any way to slide it on the new cable cause its all our together already...any ideas on it?

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Ok. Appreciate the info...I went ahead and ordered a new spindle...when you snapped one of your bolts. Did you just retap it and put a new bolt in it? They come with new bolts? Thanks for the help...
Hit the bolts with penetrating oil (PB Blaster gets lots of use from me) and let it sit for a while, do that a couple times. You can also heat the bolts until they get cherry red ( cheap hardware store propane torch should work.) Both options should help in not breaking bolts.

The new spindle will not come with hardware but any ford parts department should be able to provide you new ones if needed. (i believe this is the right part #-W704332-S309) However, if you break the bolt off in the old spindle you should be ok as it threads from behind into the spindle. So you would still be able to remove the spindle, would just need a new bolt for installing the new one.

W704332-S309 here:
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/RenderIllustration.ashx?id=307514937&f=3&n=5S4Z2B384AA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts