Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm new. [thankyou] Bought an 07 ZX3 SE with 8800 miles on it a month ago. It's yellow with the ford 15" spoke alloy wheels on it. I'm loving the car. It gets great gas mileage. I'm averageing 31 mpg highway and city.

I'm doing the stealth CAI today. Car will be parked for a day or two because the spectre air filter wouldn't fit, so I ordered the K&N RX4120 as recommended in the how to page. Hope it fits.

Anyway, Have you guys seen the air box in these Duratec powered cars? I pulled mine out of the car snorkel and all and there were leaves in the snorkel and in the box sitting against the foam air filter. Not alot but more than I would like. If you have the stock intake system on your car, don't park it under any leaf shedding trees. Leaves will get in your snorkel.

[?] Qestion: The owners manual says the filter will last the life of the car. I don't have a problem with that. But how the heck are you supposed to get the filter out of the box to clean it if you had to? I had the box in my hand and couldn't figure out how to get the filter out of it. Anybody know how? It's not going back on my car anyway I was just wondering. Thanks, MM

·
Registered
930 Posts
you replace the whole box its a few hundred bucks.

I pulled mine off 1 month after i had my car and put a cossi CAI in Never looked back :D

Liked it so much my wife wanted the same did that about 2 months ago for her!

·
Registered
573 Posts
[wave]Hi Mark glad your with us___ yeah that air box is pretty crazy isnt it, I think that is to be replaced at 100 thousand miles box and all a new one if I was told write is like 300 bucks to replace . CAI is the only way to go besides it sounds better that way.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Basically, you don't know how to open it, 'cause you're not supposed to open it (unless you take an axe/baseball bat/shotty/etc to it). It's a "lifetime air filter," meaning Ford wants to make these cars cheap and easy to run, so they put a crappy sponge in there that we can't get to, can't change, and that sucks the very fabric of life and happiness out of our lungs.

Pull it, place it in your attic/basement/garage, and let it sit there and rot until you sell your car. You don't want it, you don't need it, and with the stealth CAI, you should be happy without spending ubar-$$.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
glad to have you, don't forget to read all the stickies if you haven't yet, and then don't hesitate to ask any questions not covered there. we're here to help make your car awesome!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the welcome guys.

The K&N filter came in today, ordered it at Pep Boys yesterday, that was fast. The rx4120 fit like Cinderellas glass slipper, perfect. Tightened everything down and went for a putt. The cars responds more quickly and drivability is definately improved. Car is quieter at idle and seems to run with less labor, nice.
I've always been a fan of modifying the stock intake to flow more air, only because I'm to cheap to buy a $200 + system. But funny thing, the modified stock systems always seem to work just as well. The stealth CAI page that I found from this website was a real convieneance. Thanks to all who post and contribute to this forum. MM [cheers]

·
Registered
144 Posts
dont forget to disconnect the grounds for a couple mins

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Welcome to Focus Fanatics . It's the only place you will ever need to help drain your wallet with mods ... hehehe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts