Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, names Michael, I am from Tipperary in Ireland. Please excuse the first post looking for help.

We have a daily 2009 1.6 tdci focus, so not my favourite car but it serves a purpose and serves it very well, its our family runaround.

I have had an intermittent power steering problem for weeks, yesterday the horn stopped working so I checked the fuse, it was ok but was corroded, so i threw in a new one and the horn worked. Great I thought, power steering fuse is beside that so done the same and yep you didnt guess it :)

The car wouldn't start amd windows stopped working. I know I know.

Anyway today I had an engine malfunction and 3 codes all related to egr circuit. I sprayed some wd40 into fuse box and the car started and ran perfect but is now throwing a turbo bypass valve code.

Im guessing this is just a fluke to do with electrics so im wonderig if that fuse box can be replaced under the bonnett? I rang a scrappy today but they said they didnt have one as they cant be replaced.

I do most of the work myself with cars but dont mind paying a dealer, I just cant trust them unfortunatly.

Any opinions or advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'll move this to the General Tech Chat section to try for some help.

Most of the members are from North America where this model wasn't sold, so general advice is more likely than specific until someone from one of teh countries where the model was common sees it.

Cleaning up all the fuse/relay contacts as well as possible would be the first step IMHO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya i knew that I just figured the config of fuses and wiring might be similar.

Looking for a decent mechanic here at the minute but cant actually find a trust worthy one.

Have been through all the cleaning of contacts but now getting a turbo error code as a result. I havent used electro grease so maybe thats my next step.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Another member has commented on the earlier versions being 'modular" with a lot of disassembly/repair being possible, just not replaceable as a factory unit due to it's being part of the wiring harness as made.

I added to the Title to help draw attention from other worldwide members. We do have a lot of active folks from all over.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
... I sprayed some wd40 into fuse box
I have never heard of WD-40 being used to clean out a fuse box or similar. You have previously found and fixed some corrosion problems inside this fuse box so why not get back inside it and see if you can find more. While at it, if needing a spray-cleaner, please use something designed for the job; electrical contact cleaner in a spray can. I believe you have a good chance of finding and fixing some other problems inside that fuse box. Disconnect the car battery and tear it up! Good Luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it was possible to tear it apart tbat would be great but i cant seem to get it apart and cant find a guide as such so i want to be careful. Wd40 has been used for years. It is not a sution just a stop gap as it creates a contact so you at least know where problem is.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I have never pulled out or disassembled that area or a Focus fuse box. My only advise is to try harder... there must be some mounting bolts and the box likely has some seams, snaps, slots, tongue & grooves, that allow it to be opened. If not, once the box is dis-mounted, maybe inspecting the back-side of it will yield some success in finding what might be wrong. Take a picture or note location of each fuse and relay. Remove all the fuses and related stuff, maybe that will reveal something else....?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya I already done that, it was my first port of call but it seemed solid.

I rang a parts yard to get a replacement in the beginning but he actually told me they cant be removed as they are physically part of the wiring loom. He said he has parted 50 or so mk2 focuses. Hence my reluctancy to pull and mess with it to much. Its almost impossible to see underneath it and I cant feel a singlr clip or bolt only the wires going into the bottom.

Very frustrating.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Dynamite? TNT? C4?

That is horrible! Best of luck to you sir.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Box may just clip to the firewall with a lift to remove & try to fold forward enough to see the bottom.

WD40 isn't bad for it, designed to help bad/wet connections.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Yes they ARE part of the main wiring harness and hard to detail them at all without the entire thing out of car. I rebuilt the entire box plastic once to replace a wrecked one, it took about 4 hours to do it, and you don't wanna go there.................

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^^^^ Its beyond wanting to go there now. Have continious engine codes so need to find someone who will do it for me and not charge 60 million euro :)

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
NO ONE wanting to make a PROFIT intelligently will take on that job, the reality of things.

Add to that the MAJOR possibly errant idea that it would cure all the troubles, it may not touch any of them. Looking very possibly at a bottomless money pit there.

I base that on the fact that if corrosion is that bad inside the box then it is probably much worse outside and the effects felt outside much more in cables, wire plug-in connections, etc. The fusebox generally does not really corrode inside.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^^^ Well the car wouldnt start and a spray of wd40 got it running without any problem for two days. So id say its fairly certain the problem is localised there or tje quick spray wouldnt have had the effect it did.

No options anyway as it needs to be done.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Hey, your stuff do what you will..................

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So your suggestion is to scrap the car is it?

The worst possible scenario is a new engine loom from what I can see.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts