Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newb from Tennessee. Might be looking to get either a zx4 ST with 2.3 Duratec or like an 08-09 Coupe with 2.0 Duratec. After researching I feel the 2.3 is the better platform but I rather have a coupe over the sedan. I've always been a Ford guy and currently own a 2013 Boss 302 Mustang and a 2014 Taurus SEL. Not sure how many of you know about the Ecotec engine but I had one in my first car I ever owned back in the day and I kinda miss the car and loved the engine. I also recently sold my 2008 Chevy Cobalt SS with the turbo. Only reason I bought that car is because Ford didn't have a tuner type car out yet. So that's where I'm torn. I love Ford but the GM Ecotec engines are hard to beat and I miss tinkering with a 4 cylinder with potential. Pros and cons, I need them, LOL.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Welcome to FF!

2.3 is a great setup with a 5spd, as you can see I'm a bit prejudiced (grin).

There's been more done with the 2.0's recently, so getting one in the hatch you prefer isn't all bad. For example, the Cosi knockoff intake manifold showed no bottom end loss & good gains up higher for one poster in the duratec performance section this year. Others trying it, IIRC there was only one with numbers to back up the seat of the pants results.

As usual, finding a car that you like (in good condition) tops the list. I started looking for a hatch myself.

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know alittle bit about Focus' but what year hatches came with the 2.0 Duratec? I was under the impression that just the 08-11's came with the 2.0 Duratec.

·
Super Moderator
9,524 Posts
The hatches came standard with the 2.0L Duratec from 2005-2007 only. There are a few hatchbacks from 2003-2004 that had the 2.3L PZEV motor. But those are getting incredibly harder to find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Duratec > PZEV or PZEV > Duratec?

I know these are some dumb questions but all I ever see and hear about really are the 2.3 and 2.0 Duratec engines. I seriously wanna spend no more than like 4k cash and do all the work myself and build a sleeper. I have my Mustang that is for cruising/weekends and occasional trip down the strip but I love me a fast 4 banger.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
You're not too likely to see a PZEV version in TN, that's a CA emissions state type.

2.3 duratec in an ST sedan '05-'07 or 2.0 duratec in a hatch from the same years are what you're likely to see. '08-'11 are all sedans (2 or 4 dr) with 2.0 duratec "fly by wire" type.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That makes much more since now, thanks. I've always like the zx4 ST's and there are a few near where I live for sale. Might have to test drive both types to see which one I like best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts