Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just joined this site because people here seem to have a lot of good knowledge on the Focus. So I am thinking about possibly throwing a turbo onto my Focus, its a 2007 ZX4 ST. So its looking like this will run $3k-4k (I am not mechanically inclined) and I'm guessing that doesn't include labor for the install. My questions are:
1. What is the most reliable turbo to get?
2. How much horsepower will this actually add?
3. How much will it affect gas mileage?

Alright thats all I got for now, thanks guys! [:D]

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
focussport has a proven turbo setup i suggest them. i have the gt28r but if you want more power later on i suggest the gt28rs. a little more flow than the gt28r.

on my 2005 focus st i am making over 240whp and 245wtq, which is about 110 more whp/wtq than stock w/an exhaust.

gas mileage is hard to say. i average around 23 but that is with very spirited driving. on the highway i still can get around 31. as long as your not boosting, your gas mileage isnt affected much.

you can get a stage 2 turbo from focussport for around $3800, but then with the power your making youll need a new clutch/flywheel which runs around $800 for an exedy stage 2 clutch/flywheel combo, and then there is installation. you should be fine with the stock clutch/flywheel up to 9.5-10psi though so if you wanna save some money, you can just run a stage 2 kit at 8 psi and still have tons of power, but not have to get a clutch.

labor for an install will run anywhere from $600-1000, depending on the shop. i installed it myself on a friday and saturday and sunday did the datalogging.

you will love being boosted btw :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
You will want to go ahead and upgrade the clutch even at 8psi my stock clutch with 15,000 miles on it lasted 3 days before it started sliping.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
true true.. it depends on the clutch. with mine it didnt start to slip til 9.5-10 psi. focussport said they experienced slippage at above 9.5psi..

but it all depends. definitely a new clutch/flywheel is worth it though..

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
from what it seems the focussport turbo kit isnt that hard to install yourself...dont they give you a instructional disc or somthing?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Ok, just joined this site because people here seem to have a lot of good knowledge on the Focus. So I am thinking about possibly throwing a turbo onto my Focus, its a 2007 ZX4 ST. So its looking like this will run $3k-4k (I am not mechanically inclined) and I'm guessing that doesn't include labor for the install. My questions are:
1. What is the most reliable turbo to get?
2. How much horsepower will this actually add?
3. How much will it affect gas mileage?

Alright thats all I got for now, thanks guys! [:D]
Welcome! I also have a 2007 Focus ST. I just completed building my own turbo kit for mine. I will be dynoing next week for tune tweaking and HP/TRQ numbers. Any other questions feel free to ask!!!

1. I'm not buyist, FocusSport & F2's kit are both great kits!

2. For out 2.3L with Stage II looking around 250HP

3. Depending if you have a heavy foot, if you drive normal then you shouldn't see much change. On the other hand my turbo is really undersized for my 2.3L and it spools real quick. I will try and average MPG's after I get everything done.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've been discussing various ways to improve my hp/tq without sacrificing mpg's. I have numerous postings about cams and other stuff, but after watching the GEARZ show on the Smoke turbo vette it has given me an entirely different view of how I could make power...I too have an 07 ST...$3K + labor is a lot of money, but with what I am wanting to do...it will cost that much going the N/A route....I already have close to 2K in parts already...my ST is starting to become some sort of golden calf...so to speak...I'm doing all sorts of research now...on both N/A and FI...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I was really looking into getting a new Camaro, but the one I want will be running me around $30k... so the way I look at it, paying $5k for a turbo is a lot more doable, and I won't be broke afterwards heheh.

·
Registered
798 Posts
f/i is the way to go. you wont sacrifice much mpg, and you will make much more power then going n/a
I second that... I am so happy that I went FI... I was OK with the factroy HP/TRQ numbers. Going FI just made it even better. Even with 60lb/hr injectors I still manage 23MPG in city

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
^^ yeah..

and your car boosted will be faster than the new camaro..

im working on getting 255/40/17s in the front with new shocks and a new motor mount and then i should have much more traction and be much faster than the new camaro. over 60 i know im faster now tho.. lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts