Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a plain 2005 that I want to put some speakers, amp, sub into. I found some speakers at Best Buy that I liked but was able to find the exact ones online for less than half the price(don't remember the brand now). I want to attempt to buy and install everything myself, but only one problem - I don't have a clue what to do. I don't know the difference about specs, ohms, channels, etc. Is it over my head to attempt this?

I'm looking for bass, mainly. Used to have a mustang with pionner sub and fosgate amp, but that was years ago (and I paid Best Buy for the products and installation).

Think I should just pay someone to get it done?

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
From the sounds of it, and your goals, I would just have someone do it for you. It really isn't that hard but if you don't know anything, then don't risk breaking your new gear.

And [welcome]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the sounds of it, and your goals, I would just have someone do it for you. It really isn't that hard but if you don't know anything, then don't risk breaking your new gear.

And [welcome]
Thanks. I hate the idea of giving someone more money than is needed to get the job done, but like you said, I don't want to mess anything up.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
as long as youre not color blind everything is pretty easy.

but again the head install guy at Al & Eds next to my work is color blind...[screwy]

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

And [welcome]
Disagree 1000%

I did my first install, with NO clue on how things worked. It turned out fine.

Now, if you are a complete tool, you WILL break something. But, assuming you have common sense, you SHOULD be able to do everything by just googling any questions you have.

Really, its not hard. Theres adapters for everything, and its all color coated. Its silly easy to do.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
push comes to shove find some of your fellow FF members who live near you who KNOW audio and have a g2g and they can teach you...

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
do your research and find out what you want the end result to be
set your self a budget
get best buy or a good shop to install it
much easier for you and that way you don't have a half ass install
Color codes are only so good if they remain to spec, and guess what they don't always do so
also need to be good at soldering connections upside down, etc

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I'll do my best here (click the blue text),

Specs for stock speakers

How-to remove door panels

Hot to choose an amplifier

Choosing the proper subwoofer box

I'll let you dig through the rest if you so desire, but the12volt is an invaluable source for car stereo knowledge.

I would also recommend getting a good headunit with decent voltage through the pre-outs, I'm an Alpine and Pioneer man myself.

For sub amps you will probably want a class d amp. They are not a clean of a signal but that will not matter for low bass. They also have tons of overhead as far as wattage goes which is useful because bass can be very demanding at times.
Anything where sound quality comes into play (mids and tweeters) class a or a/b is my only recommendation.

So where should you run the power wire and what gauge wire should you use?

That depends on how big the amp you get is, but dual 8 gauge or a single 4 should suffice.
I choose to run mine under the car. It's run through the frame rail and comes up through the same grommet the fuel pump wires run through, Seen below:

Where it runs through the frame rail I used an old garden hose as protection from abrasion. Laugh if you will but it's lasted for 7 years now with zero problems and is tough as nails.
The amp can be grounded to any metal in the back of the car so long as it is a good ground and the wire is the same gauge or larger. You want a very good ground.

That's all I got for now, hope it helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts