Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided i'm going to put some money into my car, and i choose to upgrade the stereo a bit.

The only thing is, i have no idea what i'm doing.

I looked up the size that i should get, and i picked these, are they ok?

if you have any suggestions i'd love to hear them.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Eh those speakers aren't that great. Sure they are better then stock but I would spend a little more. I would recommend going to crutchfield dot com and looking around there. Great place to get some ideas, and then you can go back to online car stereo and buy from them cause they are cheaper.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Cheaper doesn't always mean a better deal. Crutchfield sells at around MSRP for a reason. They're an authorized retailer for *every* product they sell. And they stand behind their products. They've been in business for ever 20 something years. When you buy from them, you get all the little pieces you need to install the product. You get toll free support from installers if you hit a glitch. You get what you pay for in a nutshell.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
hawkeye is correct...the speakers you are looking at are slightly better than stock but if you spend around 80 bucks per pair you are going to get a MUCH better speaker than the pioneers you are looking at

·
Registered
389 Posts
That's a big plus - getting all the factory-correct harnesses you need. I've used Crutch probably 5 or 6 times for car stereo stuff.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if you replace your stock speakers with these (or any other better quality speakers like them), YOU WILL LOSE BASS, or you will at least perceive that you have lost bass. This is because your new speakers are engineered to deliver great sound within a tighter frequency range, whereas your stock ones produce fair sound across a wider range (the old Jack of all trades/Master of none issue). Don't be alarmed by this - upgrade door speakers are set to those frequencies because they want you to buy a sub, dedicated strictly to the low and very low end, and this reduces the load on the door speakers. In the end, once you get your sub, you'll be astounded by how good it sounds over stock.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Sadly, Crutchfield doesn't carry what I want to get next. Or more accurately they don't carry the exact model I want. I'm looking at getting a set of Q-Form enclosures for my kick panels.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Agreed I will always shop crutchfield.com. And you never have to cut your factory wiring. They also send you the instructions on how to properly remove your door panels. This can be super helpful if your a first timer. Crutchfield and go with something that everyone rates good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Geez, don't get those Pioneers. Same model I had, the tweeters are on cardboard tubes. I cranked it up once, and the tweeter popped off on one. It was just dangling by the wires. I got those same reason you were looking at them, price. If you've NEVER installed speakers or radio, then crutchfield is the way to go. Step by step instructions, wiring, and phone support. But parts are expensive, MSRP. Go to crutchfield, look at the speakers that fit, read the reviews, and then order online elsewhere if you want to save money. Crutchfield does send instructions on how to get the panels off, which is a big plus. After my Pioneers blew out, I went to crutchfield, found some nice Kenwood 3 ways, and ordered from ebay. Put them in myself, since I had the instructions left over from the previous speakers. Still there, sound great. And yes, get a head unit next. I hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
259 Posts
get a head unit instead, that improves the sound much more than speakers.
actually speakers do make the biggest the sound improvement. but a head unit certainly helps.

also you certainly do not lose bass when going with aftermarket speakers, now that perception comment could be true to a point but only to the point that your going to hear more audio out of an aftermarket speaker than you would with a factory. factory speakers cannot produce nearly the "music that you hear" as aftermarket, meaning not only will you gain bass but you will also gain highs or treble. aftermarket speakers will play lower frequencies (bass) and higher frequencies (treble) than factory speakers. this is due to a wider frequency range, not a smaller one like someone else stated on here.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've decided i'm going to put some money into my car, and i choose to upgrade the stereo a bit.

The only thing is, i have no idea what i'm doing.

I looked up the size that i should get, and i picked these, are they ok?

if you have any suggestions i'd love to hear them.

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Pioneer_TS_H_687__6540988
i put these in mine,awesome ,but you need to sound deaden around the speaker area to get better results, otherwise no matter what quality the speaker is the performance will be poor, you'll get distortion. i used dynamat sound deadening.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Need to improve sound

Hi everyone:
I'm planning to buy better speakers because I'm not satisfied with the factory ones. I rented a Caliber once and the sound is much better, how can I get a sound like that?. I just reinstalled my 2001 FF factory radio, do I get any additional equipment such as an amplifier to improve this?
Best regards[?|] [loveff] [loveff]
galileofigaro

1 - 14 of 14 Posts