Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just bought a 2002 yellow Zx3 and i have started racing it. I want to mod the engin but have VERY LITTLE if any skills or knowledge to do so. This car is the reason i am starting to learn engines. I just have a few questions that i was hoping u guys could answer.

1. I read on focussport.com that "Federal law states that the installation of an aftermarket device will not void the vehicle’s warranty. " However i have heard from others that its a possability that it WOULD void my warranty if i were to mod the engine. Answers?

2. In the event that i DO mod the engine, one of the first things i want to do is add a turbocharger. is that ok? as in, wont blow my engine to peices? Sub question, I saw an electric turbocharger... are these good/crappy?

3. Whats the fastest & cheapest way to make a car fast, parts wise? I KNOW that it takes money to get a fast car, but whats a good way to make small mods along the way? what should come first etc.

Thanks in advance for any help!
~Josh

·
Registered
798 Posts
yes the electric turbocharger is crap. Rule number 1: stay away from ebay. As long as the mod isn't designed to hurt the engine than know it will not void the warranty.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
actually the mod will void the warranty of the part it replaces and all parts which work in conjuction w/ it so to speak, more than likely it depends on the credibility of your dealership

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ewwww....
i wonder if i can sell back the 6yr/100k mi warrenty that my dad bought... i dont want to wait 6 damn years.... OR 100k mi....

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you put a new intake on and there is a problem with your suspension, then it won't affect the warrenty it that context.

Some good mods to do are an intake, 65mm throttle body, exhaust, and some suspension mods couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
123 Posts
First off what type of racing are you doing? That will first dictate the mods that you should look at first. Like if you are Auto X then stay away from engine mods at this time since you are still new and a rookie. Look at mostly suspension and weight saving. Right now you want to stay in the lower classes to get some experience. You dont want to move in classes because of a mod.

If you are dragging then yeah motor mods maybe the way to go first. I dont know nothing about dragging.

As far as the extended warrenty. Yes you can cancel it. Cancell it and get your money back. I think that is a wast of money anyways. Does nothing but pay your finance guy at the dealership some good grip.

I think eveybody else answered your warrenty question.

Last in whatever racing you are doing. Try to make friends with an experienced driver. So that you can utilize their knowledge and get help when you need it. But be prepped to help them too.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Electric supercharges, as they are called, are just cpu heatsink fans and don't work, if anything will blow your engine up from inhaling the pieces of plastic fans that'll break off in the intake. Warranties can only be voided on the specific item. As previously said, if you put on a cold air intake and your suspension goes bad, they can't blame the intake. Keep the warranty. First Mods you'll want is a new catback, intake, Under drive pulley. Then move onto a 65mm throttle body, new exhaust header, cat, flexpipe. If you have an auto, invest in a diablo chip DOWN THE ROAD. I have a feeling you don't know much about forced induction. You're looking at spending 5g's for a full setup installed the *right* way. Now, that, would void your whole engine warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CowsGoMoo said:
Keep the warranty. First Mods you'll want is a new catback, intake, Under drive pulley. Then move onto a 65mm throttle body, new exhaust header, cat, flexpipe. If you have an auto, invest in a diablo chip DOWN THE ROAD.
You think keep the warranty? Even w/o the extended i still have like... geez i dunno, whatever the factory warranty is, and i only have 8k miles on my car.(so like another 22k on warranty i think...)
I was thinking sell back the extended and use the money to put parts in... but... *shrug* i need to look at the fine print on the warranty.

For right now all i have raced is drag. I have watched AutoX but never driven it... looks fun.... but i dont think i as of yet have the skills i need... we'll see :)

Now, this is probably a REALLY dumb question, but until this board, i have never heard of a catback... what is it?

I was looking at a diablo chip... but like you said... down the road.

As for experienced drivers... The only ones i know have a hardcore pecking order. I cruise with them sometimes, but i am the new kid, and as such... well... i'm still pretty below the radar. :)

The racing scene is pretty wierd here... Its starting to get kind of gang centered... which SUCKS. there was a shooting about 3 weeks ago at the place everyone usually hangs out at and now every damn parent is calling up the cops asking them why they arent stopping it, so the cops are out 5x as strong at night as they are during the day... *sigh* anyway, thats my daily bitch....

~Josh

·
Registered
845 Posts
If you plan on doing serious modding, you may not want to even think about your warranty. I waited until my warranty was almost out before I started modding. Say you install UDP and your alternator goes out...Ford COULD say that since you weren't driving your accessories at factory specifications then they don't have to cover it. They could use the same excuse to void the warranty on your A/C. Some parts are approved by Ford for you to have installed, but they could hassle you if you install the parts yourself.

A turbo will definitely void your warranty. A "cat-back" is the exhaust from the catalytic converter back to the tip (actually on our cars the flex pipe is after the cat, so...from that back). Pretty much anything you install beyond factory specifications COULD void your warranty. Like Mofo said, it depends on your dealership (which in most cases, don't want to work on your car and need to get another job where they can improve their attitudes - sorry..that's my opinion... I've just never seen a good dealership - EVER!!)

Oh, and if you plan on modding soon, get your money back on that extended warranty if possible because you will probably void it anyways when you start modding the "power train" ("the engine and the parts that make your car go" - Ford sales rep).

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
nice reply beowolf....I'll just say, " What he said"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey
since i have been shopping around, this is what i have found that i think i want to put into my car, please tell me if its a bad idea, anything i should prob. do first, and that sort of thing.
all parts i have looked at have been form focussport.com (any better site suggestions would appreciated)

Diablo Chip
Cool-flo air intake/cooler

i am also looking at a new throttle body but i have no idea where to look, or what i need, etc. Like i said... i'm new. :) One big thing that has come to my fortune, i have an aquaintence that owns a car dealership (private) which also include a body shop and obviously a fully stocked up garage... cha-ching! :) He needs to finalize stuff with his dad (the REAL owner) but he said as lon as we work late at night when there isnt anyone wanting to it should be fine... whooooo hoooooooooo
~Josh

·
Registered
318 Posts
A different exhaust will get you HP, and also a T/B upgrade.

Like jay said, cool air intake and a diablo chip will give you some quick HP
Stay away from ebay when it comes to your engine mods and suspension, heard a lot of bad things about it.

Electric turbos are crap, just like everyone else says.

Just do research on everything before you decide to buy, try to get to know all the facts, easiest way put.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts