Focus Fanatics Forum banner

161 - 180 of 385 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's the dissappointing part - we've have great service for years at this dealership. Honestly, cusomter service was 100% the deciding factor in my buying another Ford after an Escape. My son wanted a Hyundai Elantra or Veloster - the Hyundai delaer is across the street from Ford, and we actually test drove all three. But in the end, we went with the Focus Titanium, it had everything we wanted, plus I wanted to give Ford my business - based solely on the service we received while owning the Escape.

However it wasn't long after purchasing the Focus that I started having doubts - mostly due to the ratty transmission problems. And it was when taking it in for this problem that I felt this car might have been a mistake. first the transmission, and now this (TCM problem).
These aren't IMO small issues - and FORD should absolutely notify every Focus owner of the problems, recall and fix each vehicle, and pop for the cost of loaner/rentals while doing so. Anything less is completely unacceptable.

Sorry to hear of your issues with the Focus. Click on my username and read my horror story. More than a few posts I admit that I rant on but that's how frustrated I was.

Also don't listen to those that say they had it "fixed" and are so overjoyed, gleeful and telling you how wonderful their car now runs.

It's an illusion. There is no permanent fix. The transmission design is inherently flawed. All a repair does is "reset" the issue. At a certain point the problems start all over again.

The two problems are 14M01 nd 14Mo2.

The first is a shudder issue that requires the seals to be replaced and the TCM/PCM to be reprogrammed. The second is a stalling and/or loss of power issue that requires the TCM to be replaced. That's the biggest issue...getting it replaced. Even if you do it's a matter of time before BOTH problems start again.

The transmission DPS6 is pure JUNK.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well,, Finally, I'm rid of my 2014 Titanium Focus... Happy DAY,, 32K miles on it, I am overjoyed to be rid of it. The Toyota folks said they are simply sending focus's from Trade ins directly to Auction. Ford sold a focus, they knew it had a transmission issue, My Tranny had to be rebuilt - REV F (It was repaired under warranty). but was not included under their extended warranty (Mine was off by a month (Aug 2014 MFR date)., Tires sound like a windstorm. paint had IRON particles, Interior Door cover and handle came off after less than 2 months.

Happy DAY.. I am never ever going to by a Ford again.. ever... (I had owned many many fords from early 70's till now (A stray Volvo, BMW. etc etc from time to time).

Bye Ford... Its celebration time.... [drinking]

Bye Ford... Its celebration time....

[cheers] I did the same and a FORD will never cross my driveway again. They are horrible liars at FORD and all this masquerading here by the reps is a diversion. Their intentions as individuals may be good but they work for FORD which in an unethical pile of horsecrap. They sold a flawed transmission for nearly 5 years when THEY KNEW after 6 months it was a design flaw and can NEVER be truly repaired.

All they do is run interference and if you manage to live long enough to get it "fixed" it's never really fixed. There is no fix and don't listen to anyone here who says otherwise. I got that right form A FORD Transmission Tech's mouth.

Good luck to you.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Hey Frandia,

Too late for your PITA, did you see the fresh FSA 15b22:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/594257-field-service-action-15b22.html

Finally something to address the lack of good "codes' for TCM problems.

Hope this helps some in the future, it's been a battle since the best 'proof' of a TCM problem was seeing a park assist warning in a car not equipped with that. Developed better lists here as time went on, but seldom useful codes avail..

I actually believe your "Trans Tech. on never a permanent fix, whole thing has a limited lifespan with the clutches/TCM leading the list.

But that can be said for all parts of the car to different degrees, the problem here is wondering when those wear parts (and others) achieve an acceptable mean time before failure.

Still seeing what seems like WAY too many failing early, while others have no problems for 100k or more. See regular automatics with variable results, and a number with issues posted here every week. Not the volume of early problems seen with the DCT, diminishing in frequency but still present.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Frandia,

Too late for your PITA, did you see the fresh FSA 15b22:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/594257-field-service-action-15b22.html

Finally something to address the lack of good "codes' for TCM problems.

Hope this helps some in the future, it's been a battle since the best 'proof' of a TCM problem was seeing a park assist warning in a car not equipped with that. Developed better lists here as time went on, but seldom useful codes avail..

I actually believe your "Trans Tech. on never a permanent fix, whole thing has a limited lifespan with the clutches/TCM leading the list.

But that can be said for all parts of the car to different degrees, the problem here is wondering when those wear parts (and others) achieve an acceptable mean time before failure.

Still seeing what seems like WAY too many failing early, while others have no problems for 100k or more. See regular automatics with variable results, and a number with issues posted here every week. Not the volume of early problems seen with the DCT, diminishing in frequency but still present.

If I read it right, it just gives a warning that it's going bad. Try getting Ford to actually do something.[hihi][hihi][hihi]

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Sorry to hear of your issues with the Focus. Click on my username and read my horror story. More than a few posts I admit that I rant on but that's how frustrated I was.

Also don't listen to those that say they had it "fixed" and are so overjoyed, gleeful and telling you how wonderful their car now runs.

It's an illusion. There is no permanent fix. The transmission design is inherently flawed. All a repair does is "reset" the issue. At a certain point the problems start all over again.

The two problems are 14M01 nd 14Mo2.

The first is a shudder issue that requires the seals to be replaced and the TCM/PCM to be reprogrammed. The second is a stalling and/or loss of power issue that requires the TCM to be replaced. That's the biggest issue...getting it replaced. Even if you do it's a matter of time before BOTH problems start again.

The transmission DPS6 is pure JUNK.
Thats the sad part, whether its someone who was once very happy with no problems, or someone currently happy because of a recent fix, just follow this board and they end up back here saying it didn't last or finally appeared. There are posts going back to 2012 to back this up.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Codger comment warning.

The cool thing about all this to me is the extended expectation of no major issues over time.

Ford has now set the bar for clutches to last until 100k, art least in their automatic units, and the controller that's more critical to 150k.

Far cry from my '85 P/U with it's lightweight high geared tranny and tiny clutch (half the friction material of the one used with commercial transmissions NOT avail. to consumers). That thing had first gear as high as second in our cars, think of the slip needed even empty. The joys of EPA mileage requirements have been with us for a while.

10k per clutch for the time I had it, what fun. (no warranty, wear item)

Got 120k out of a clutch with the next truck I had, same hard use, same driver. Tell me that first one wasn't a problem.

For the real codger comments, warranties for more than a year? Not trading by 30-40k max? More than a select few lasting to 100k? How about exhausts/water pumps good for more than a couple years? Miracle Radial Tires that could go 30k?

Sometimes gets hard to remember what was normal exactly when, mileages are up by about 100%, with other items 200% to 500% individually. Too many variations to put an even scalar on it, from twice as long to indefinite in some cases.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Codger comment warning.

The cool thing about all this to me is the extended expectation of no major issues over time.

Ford has now set the bar for clutches to last until 100k, art least in their automatic units, and the controller that's more critical to 150k.

Far cry from my '85 P/U with it's lightweight high geared tranny and tiny clutch (half the friction material of the one used with commercial transmissions NOT avail. to consumers). That thing had first gear as high as second in our cars, think of the slip needed even empty. The joys of EPA mileage requirements have been with us for a while.

10k per clutch for the time I had it, what fun. (no warranty, wear item)

Got 120k out of a clutch with the next truck I had, same hard use, same driver. Tell me that first one wasn't a problem.

For the real codger comments, warranties for more than a year? Not trading by 30-40k max? More than a select few lasting to 100k? How about exhausts/water pumps good for more than a couple years? Miracle Radial Tires that could go 30k?

Sometimes gets hard to remember what was normal exactly when, mileages are up by about 100%, with other items 200% to 500% individually. Too many variations to put an even scalar on it, from twice as long to indefinite in some cases.

But...how many people will still own the car at 100,000 or 150,000 thousand. My dealer told me that with the Focus we traded in that he the car will go to auction and many times they are shipped out of the country.

It goes back to what I posted once before. It's all about "bean counting". They can extend it to anything they like because the actuaries already calculated that it's cheaper to fix some and hope they never have to deliver any repairs on the rest. Look how they shuck and jive by stalling on doing the repairs even when they admit that they know there is a problem. Sorry but a warranty on paper issued by FORD is fairly meaningless. Sure there will be those who come in and post how they had their repair done under the warranty but they are few and far between. What about all the other horror stories here and what about those that don't even know of this website and are dealing with FORD blindly on their own, not realizing they are getting jerked around.

Call me a skeptic but I would never trust FORD to fix my trans issues at say 90,000 miles. Why? Inevitably they will tell you that while they will honor the part under warranty they will say there's now an unwarrantied part that you'll have to pay for in order for the "fix" to happen correctly otherwise they can't fix it. Naturally that part will be costly and not under warranty.

They did the same think with the 2005 FORD Escape. The coils failed prematurely but to fix it they had to replace the spark plugs and reprogram the PCM. They warrantied the coils but not the rest, If it wasn't for my mechanic knowing that FORD had a TSB out telling dealers that FORD wasn't sure if the coils damaged the spark plugs or vice-versa I would have been stuck with an $1,800 repair. Once I pointed out to the dealership that little item... then it was a whole other story. My guy would have done the repair for much less but you still need the dealer to reprogram the PCM. Ford has one by the short hairs.

Sorry but I stand by what I said, "FORD" sucks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thats the sad part, whether its someone who was once very happy with no problems, or someone currently happy because of a recent fix, just follow this board and they end up back here saying it didn't last or finally appeared. There are posts going back to 2012 to back this up.

Which makes me wonder why some here seem to go to great lengths to seemingly support FORD and make it sounds as if FORD is so honorable and how FORD is doing the right thing.

If they were so reputable they would have stopped putting the lousy trans in 3 subsequent model years knowing full well they almost all of them will fail prematurely at some point. Also they would fix the issue instead of trying to dodge and stall.

14M01 and 14M02 are very specific as to what parts need to be replaced. Yet we read about how "that's the way the car shifts" as an excuse. And "the car needs to adjust to the driver". Or "let us run a software update".
Let's not forget their favorite, "there's no codes showing" even after the car stalled out.

What I haven't posted until now is that in my case I did get to speak to Susan something or other( I have her name somewhere) who was some big muckied-yuck in Detroit. After she listened to my saga her reply was to go through the BBB Autoline. Now that's coming from a higher up at headquarters. Instead of saying "let me direct you to a dealer and I'll call them them", going to the BBB is her idea of help.

That's when I decided to get rid of the garabage car and cut my losses.

FORD does not care and that paper warranty is just a useless stalling tactic.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
But...how many people will still own the car at 100,000 or 150,000 thousand. My dealer told me that with the Focus we traded in that he the car will go to auction and many times they are shipped out of the country.

It goes back to what I posted once before. It's all about "bean counting". They can extend it to anything they like because the actuaries already calculated that it's cheaper to fix some and hope they never have to deliver any repairs on the rest. Look how they shuck and jive by stalling on doing the repairs even when they admit that they know there is a problem. Sorry but a warranty on paper issued by FORD is fairly meaningless. Sure there will be those who come in and post how they had their repair done under the warranty but they are few and far between. What about all the other horror stories here and what about those that don't even know of this website and are dealing with FORD blindly on their own, not realizing they are getting jerked around.

Call me a skeptic but I would never trust FORD to fix my trans issues at say 90,000 miles. Why? Inevitably they will tell you that while they will honor the part under warranty they will say there's now an unwarrantied part that you'll have to pay for in order for the "fix" to happen correctly otherwise they can't fix it. Naturally that part will be costly and not under warranty.

They did the same think with the 2005 FORD Escape. The coils failed prematurely but to fix it they had to replace the spark plugs and reprogram the PCM. They warrantied the coils but not the rest, If it wasn't for my mechanic knowing that FORD had a TSB out telling dealers that FORD wasn't sure if the coils damaged the spark plugs or vice-versa I would have been stuck with an $1,800 repair. Once I pointed out to the dealership that little item... then it was a whole other story. My guy would have done the repair for much less but you still need the dealer to reprogram the PCM. Ford has one by the short hairs.

Sorry but I stand by what I said, "FORD" sucks!

You've got some interesting rants, while I've got no reason to defend Ford it's kind of intellectually entertaining to look at an alternate viewpoint and see where the holes are in it. Almost like a debate club I never had time/interest for.

The Bean Counter argument sounds good on the surface - quite attractive as an argument - but it fails when you look at the terms of the warranty extensions - good for any owner, not just the original one.

Had a recent thread by a guy who picked up a 'rebuildable" car and got the TCM replaced under the extended warranty when it wouldn't work. Regular warranty is void for salvage titled cars, but not that warranty extension. They were ready to give him the one day rental included in that FSA warranty extension, but he couldn't get it in the end because he was too young for a rental (insurance there doesn't cover under 21).

Figure on not paying because the original owner doesn't keep the car is a fallacy.

Now the Escape one I had to look up to see what was on line for coil failures.

Seems there were quite a few, and some even took out the PCM in the process. Now THAT adds up to a big bill, your claim of plugs & programming costing $1800 was the part that didn't pass the sniff test & got me looking.

The story of a TSB that claims not knowing if coils damage plugs or plugs damage coils also fails the sniff test, a variant of knowing the PCM is covered under a longer emissions warranty if out of regular warranties as reported by others DOES fit the scenario.

Replacing plugs only comes into the picture since they might be fouled when coils aren't firing them.

One character DID report being PO'd that his CAT wasn't covered, but he admitted driving it for a LONG time with a coil out causing the damage.

For the claim that Ford would find another part not warrantied if you brought it in needing clutches at 90k, that can happen since the entire unit doesn't have an extended warranty. But hey - wouldn't you be happier paying for an actuator, linkage or something similar rather than being stuck with the big bill for everything?

Finally, with all the posts on repairs done under warranty here, it's hard to see how you consider those posts "few & far between". The problem is that there are too many of them, not too few.

That was interesting, made me think this AM.

Cheers

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Which makes me wonder why some here seem to go to great lengths to seemingly support FORD and make it sounds as if FORD is so honorable and how FORD is doing the right thing.

If they were so reputable they would have stopped putting the lousy trans in 3 subsequent model years knowing full well they almost all of them will fail prematurely at some point. Also they would fix the issue instead of trying to dodge and stall.

14M01 and 14M02 are very specific as to what parts need to be replaced. Yet we read about how "that's the way the car shifts" as an excuse. And "the car needs to adjust to the driver". Or "let us run a software update".
Let's not forget their favorite, "there's no codes showing" even after the car stalled out.

What I haven't posted until now is that in my case I did get to speak to Susan something or other( I have her name somewhere) who was some big muckied-yuck in Detroit. After she listened to my saga her reply was to go through the BBB Autoline. Now that's coming from a higher up at headquarters. Instead of saying "let me direct you to a dealer and I'll call them them", going to the BBB is her idea of help.

That's when I decided to get rid of the garabage car and cut my losses.

FORD does not care and that paper warranty is just a useless stalling tactic.

This one is interesting too, I wish I could do it justice without writing a book as it brings up many points of interest.

Sure some like Ford, it IS an enthusiast site - no brainer there.

On the other hand, most you complain about in the past are trying to help out with issues as they exist, and just calling it trash doesn't fix many cars.

It IS "doing the right thing" to extend warranties on parts with a history of failure, many would rather have that be more extensive than complain about it as a bandaid. Not extensive enough would be a more valid complaint IMHO.

Can't adequately discuss what they should have done, I'll leave it with no-one intentionally builds anything that doesn't meet mean time before failure standards they set, and if there was a guaranteed fix for all the issues it would have been implemented. No single part is yet proven to fail consistently early, making this much more difficult than if there WAS such a problem.

I actually think other parts/systems are causative for the cases of multiple failures. Clutch actuators have been found bad for one, and I bet a lot more are marginal and a cause of problems (seldom fail, but may not work well). The reprogramming that fixes things for a while points to the computer/actuator system. "relearning" the touch points of clutch engagement that solves things for a while, as the system is SUPPOSED to constantly adjust this it seems to often fail in that role, cause undetermined.

You did tell the "sent to BBB" story before, from what I know of the situation you apparently caused enough people grief that they decided it wasn't worth the effort to try and satisfy the implacable, more cost effective and less trouble to cut you off from most contacts and let it be settled in a formal & polite legal setting.

Yes, at a certain point in a dispute Ford does NOT care - nothing to gain from further direct communication/warranty repairs until the dispute is resolved legally.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This one is interesting too, I wish I could do it justice without writing a book as it brings up many points of interest.

Sure some like Ford, it IS an enthusiast site - no brainer there.

On the other hand, most you complain about in the past are trying to help out with issues as they exist, and just calling it trash doesn't fix many cars.

It IS "doing the right thing" to extend warranties on parts with a history of failure, many would rather have that be more extensive than complain about it as a bandaid. Not extensive enough would be a more valid complaint IMHO.

Can't adequately discuss what they should have done, I'll leave it with no-one intentionally builds anything that doesn't meet mean time before failure standards they set, and if there was a guaranteed fix for all the issues it would have been implemented. No single part is yet proven to fail consistently early, making this much more difficult than if there WAS such a problem.

I actually think other parts/systems are causative for the cases of multiple failures. Clutch actuators have been found bad for one, and I bet a lot more are marginal and a cause of problems (seldom fail, but may not work well). The reprogramming that fixes things for a while points to the computer/actuator system. "relearning" the touch points of clutch engagement that solves things for a while, as the system is SUPPOSED to constantly adjust this it seems to often fail in that role, cause undetermined.

You did tell the "sent to BBB" story before, from what I know of the situation you apparently caused enough people grief that they decided it wasn't worth the effort to try and satisfy the implacable, more cost effective and less trouble to cut you off from most contacts and let it be settled in a formal & polite legal setting.

Yes, at a certain point in a dispute Ford does NOT care - nothing to gain from further direct communication/warranty repairs until the dispute is resolved legally.

Pretty easy to tell when one is being called a liar in a veiled way. As to the warranty being transferable...great assuming the new buyer is even aware of it and if the new buyer takes it to a dealer. Not many second hand cars brought are taken back to a dealer.

I'll just say this to both posts for others that may read. See the lengths some go to defend FORD while insisting that they aren't defending FORD. Your "sniffer" needs recalibrating because the story is 100% true. In fact, the dealer tried to split the cost even though the vehicle was under an extended warranty. When I said why should I pay for spark plugs when its the coils that are bad the response was the plugs are no good. Plugs don't go bad at 53,000 miles. The question then became did the coils damage the plugs or the plugs damage the coils? They couldn't say hence my comment about not being able to say if the chicken came before the egg. Either way the PCM did need to be reprogrammed.

The back and forth continued for days. Each time FORD tried to get me to pay for some part of the repair even though it was warrantied and all related.

I held firm and I paid zero. They replaced all 6 plugs, coils and did the reprogramming so I don't know what you're "sniffing" unless it's glue.[hihi]

At this point I only bother to reply here since maybe it will help others. You seem to be a good guy but from the get-go you had a knack for always trying to put FORD in the right and question everyone else's story.

The fact that my story corroborates so many others and they come back posting much the same experiences as what I've had is proof enough for me that to a degree your comments always seem to be ever so slanted towards sympathy for FORD.

You may like to sniff but it all depends on what you're sniffing for. Just the sheer numbers alone point to FORD being the culprit not those complaining. In fact I'm not so sure if I ever read a reply from you where you say FORD is in the wrong. You seem to like to skirt around saying anything negative about FORD. You point to one out of how many hundreds if not thousands that actually get a hassle free repair

Like I said, I have nothing more to prove or say. My satisfaction comes from knowing that I dumped this garbage car and hopefully others will choose to believe my experiences and if they don't initially...they will after getting jerked around enough by FORD.

To the others who read this in the future. Get rid of the car. Any repair if you can actually get one is short-lived and if you dig deep enough you will see how many others will tell you the same thing if you choose not to believe me.

This part of your comment is very telling indeed:

So I caused FORD grief? "satisfy the implacable?", I guess wanting a dangeros car repaired without grief makes one implacable??? Seems you forgot to say how the car stalled out on a highway with a young woman driving it and in a panic. You also forgot to mention that all I wanted was a new TCM. You left out all the details and I understand that it would be time consuming to rehash but odd how you blame me just as I said above and not FORD. I caused them grief??? That's the best one I've heard in all my time here. Ford is jerking off thousands of people, me included (or was) and all you can say is that I became a nuisance to them and not how they force people to drive dangerous vehicles. And...you say it in a way as if FORD is right to do so. How about if FORD did the right thing and made the repairs easy. You keep pointing to paper warranties as if that's an accomplishment. Why not tell that to those here holding those warranties (that you love) WITH issues and CAN'T get them fixed. Riddle us all that, Batman!

im·plac·a·ble
imˈplakəb(ə)l/
adjective
unable to be placated.
"he was an implacable enemy of Ted's"
synonyms: unappeasable, unforgiving, unsparing; More
relentless; unstoppable.
"the implacable advance of the enemy"

I guess we should be appeased, forgiving and spare FORD the grief, right? After all they are so righteous and helpful.

Do you hear yourself? No matter. Enjoy your FORD! [hihi][hihi][hihi]

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Nah, no reason to call you a liar in veiled or any other manner. I'm afraid it can look that way with reference to the Escape story. Can't know all the details from here, but while you prevailed in the end when I take your story at face value I'm seeing much that should have set off your own "sniff test" alarm bells.

$1800 for a set of spark plugs and computer programming? What part of that makes sense? I can't guess why someone might have wanted to hide a PCM replacement from you, that's the possible expensive result of coil problems on '05 Escape I found with a small amount of searching.

Nothing else I can think of adds up to that bill, when I found that info. the likely actual repair seemed obvious to me. As to plugs not going bad at 53k, they can get fouled out at ANY mileage. They can be cleaned to work well again, but they then aren't "good as new" entirely so avoiding that labor and installing fresh is theoretically "best". One shop I worked in the salesmen would regularly fire up new Bikes for the customers who wanted to hear them run. Run 'em for a minute or two enough times and eventually they won't start. Surprisingly enough that was usually from fouled plugs, not dead battery. For the rest, I'd love to hear an explanation of how the plugs can make the coils go bad. I think the explanation of how coils not firing to make plugs bad is adequate now.

For the rest of your absolute PITA that should have been handled better at the Dealer level without even needing Ford's involvement, I agree that it's not worth hashing it all out again.

For my part, in order to steer people toward the quickest resolution I can appear to take different sides depending on the situation. Often that can look like Ford's (or any other Dealer/Manufacturer's) side as I try to explain what's happening from their point of view along with details of the system for problem resolution. Occasionally it goes the other way entirely for cases where the owner has some reason to not pursue a claim that's obviously valid, or even potentially critical to be resolved (I'll never forget the apparent steering fault resulting in a fender bender where the gal who owned it just wanted to complain here, wasting time getting it fixed wasn't worth it to her).

Don't think it's taking sides to try and convince folks to chill enough to work the system, and comment on how that system is set up - or the other extreme of trying to convince them to ask for what they deserve & need.

Overall intent is to help figure out problems, and help get those that can be resolved to the quickest solution.

Again without details, the more I learned of your situation the more it appeared to have escalated beyond much hope of amicable resolution before your first post. From what I saw of it that trend continued after you started posting, ending up with a couple suggestions from a supervisory level CSR including the BBB comment for an outside arbiter. You may disagree, but IMHO that is an outcome neither side would desire.

"Dang POS shouldn't have broken, and when it did it should have been repaired faster" is a statement we should all be able to agree to in principle. Problems start when that isn't easy to accomplish, and tempers flare over the resulting PITA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi Frandia..

i understand and agree with what i've read about your situation, but for me, i chose to stick with FORD for my son's vehicle almost solely due to the service received over the years i owned their Escape Limited, a 2003 model. i live in the Houston area, and we literally drove that little truck from coast to coast, from CA to FL for summer vacations, and put over 200K (highway) miles on it until I traded it in for this 2013/14 Focus Titanium. During that time, the Escape's transmission was rebuilt once, but nothing else major ever.

the only account i recall being frustrated with FORD was once when one of the Escape's fog-light lenses (round) was broken and needed replacing. i was srsly shocked to learn what a complicated procedure it was to replace a simple fog-light lens – and not something i was equipped to do at home. but i didn’t blame my local service dept. for that one; complicating a simple fog-light replacement lay squarely on the FORD’s design team.
other than those two incidents, i was very happy and satisfied with FORD, due mostly to the service i received AFTER purchasing the vehicle, where auto-dealers make a substantial part of their revenue – especially from those who purchase used vehicles, where the initial expenditure has already been outlaid by the original owner, even most likely at another dealer.

i understand others have had different experiences, and it's obviously a matter of personal preference and service dept. staffing - but for me, the trusty reliable Escape vehicle and the customer service i’d received before were the deciding factors in our new car decision and why i chose to stick with FORD.

PP

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi all - Update 3.0.. for anyone interested previous posts regarding my TCM issue are here (pt.1), here (pt.2), and here (pt.2.1) ..

well, while I understand my dealership was closed on Labor Day/Monday, and a service rep had explained to me that his mechanics would be in-house working, I didn’t expect a call regarding my vehicle – and didn’t get one. given the holiday weekend and frustration with the issue to this point, I decided not to try to contact the service dept., and instead enjoy the Labor Day off..

fast forward to the next day – Tuesday..
I received a morning call from my normal service rep. stating that they had traced the issue to the TCM and that it would need to be replaced. He did inform me that the part would be covered under FORD’s extended warranty, but that “the part has been ordered and should be in in a day or two.”
I asked about the battery issue they'd encountered; he explained that he wasn't sure what happened, but that the battery did take the charge and it was good.
ok, so it took FORD 6 days (Thu a.m. to Tue a.m.) to diagnose an issue which is not only already well known to FORD [Parking aid fault – Service required] on a vehicle WITHOUT the Parking Assistant option, but also one I took the time to investigate (this site) AND describe to the service dept at the time is was towed into the service dept., BUT – to also “order the part”? Srsly? A KNOWN issue to FORD to the point of extending the warranty, yet at least one “part” required for the repair isn’t readily available at a large FORD dealership, OR any other FORD service dept. within a few miles drive? I felt insulted.

I (calmly) explained that I understood, and that the long weekend was something I’d been concerned about and had mentioned to the service rep. last week with regards to the rental car. I asked if FORD was going to cover the cost of the rental, because IMO the service dept is directly responsible for at least 4 of those days. The service rep asked if I had an Extended Warranty on the vehicle, that if so, that could cover the rental. What?! The car is IMO still practically brand new and has only been in the shop for regular oil changes and the transmission check-up when I received the Extended Warranty letter from FORD (nothing was done at that time btw). I also feel there should be no need to resort to exercising an option on an Extended Warranty for a car rental that is almost entirely the FORD dealership’s fault. The service rep. said he would “look into it” for me and let me know. Thanks?

That conversation took place yesterday/Tuesday morning.

Today is Wednesday – no word from the dealer, but given that the service rep stated the part would arrive “in a day or two”, I’m resigned to the longer time frame and would be completely surprised if anything was completed under the maximum estimated timeframes they’ve quoted me. Such seems to be the case now at this FORD dealership – skepticism.

Sooo, just another update for other FORD FOCUS owners who may find this site after running into the [Parking aid fault – Service required] malfunction while actually NOT having that option installed on their vehicle.

Fingers-crossed for “the part” arriving tomorrow, Thursday; a FULL WEEK after having the car towed to the dealership, after my explaining the TCM online info discovered, after a holiday weekend, etc.

PP

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Dang, what an extended mess.

Waiting in line and comedy of errors/follow up in getting a diagnosis, then the PITA of no parts stocking.

Parts departments are no longer judged by the percentage of normal requests they can fill, but by how low they can keep inventory. Normal wear items, minimal hdwe. & chemicals are all they want to have in stock, with a minimum of regularly requested parts of other categories.

Remember getting stuck waiting a week for a commercial truck part, "sorry, that got tossed when we did inventory as it was 12. mo. old" was the comment and inventory had just been completed that month. Four sold per year was the min. std. for stocking, with two or three times that in sales required to add a part to the list.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

Waiting in line and comedy of errors/follow up in getting a diagnosis, then the PITA of no parts stocking.

Parts departments are no longer judged by the percentage of normal requests they can fill, but by how low they can keep inventory. Normal wear items, minimal hdwe. & chemicals are all they want to have in stock, with a minimum of regularly requested parts of other categories.

Remember getting stuck waiting a week for a commercial truck part, "sorry, that got tossed when we did inventory as it was 12. mo. old" was the comment and inventory had just been completed that month. Four sold per year was the min. std. for stocking, with two or three times that in sales required to add a part to the list.
I hear you there. The Ford dealer closest to my office never has anything I need - even spark plugs were going to take a day to get (how is that possible?).

I stopped even going there, because I know what the answer is going to be. The smart aleck in me wants to ask, "Do you even have any parts back there, or are you just an ordering department?"

·
Registered
7 Posts

Exactly. I understand a dealership might not have certain parts on-hand, but in this case; where FORD deemed it necessary to extend a specific part(s) warranty? I'd think common customer courtesy and satisfaction should be expected and FORD service depts. should have something available - especially given the popularity of the Focus.

If low parts inventory and not Customer Satisfaction is FORD's priority, then perhaps they should close all Service Depts and contract out repairs.
With a background in Marketing and experience with the diplomacy needed to maximize client satisfaction, I fully understand FORD's efforts at avoiding the dreaded "R" word, but in doing so, FORD also needs to address the flip-side of that coin and bend over backwards to satisfy those customers who DO experience the known issue as quickly (and quietly) as possible. THAT'S how you keep customers.

It's now been a full week since having the Focus towed to the dealership with the TCM related error - no word yet, but it's early.
If FORD can fully repair/address the issue, AND I not incur any costs, or minimal at best, I MIGHT consider another FORD in the future. At this point, FORD should understand that happy current customers = repeat, future, and more customers, via family and friend recommendations, which I did! I was recommending FORD/this dealership and always mentioned the great customer care I received - might continue to do in the future, but will be sure to explain this episode now. Way to go FORD, in taking an extremely satisfied customer; neglecting him, giving him (IMO) the run around, and a negative service experience to relate to others.

But again, it's still early, I'm patient, and try to always look on the positive side - so maybe I'll get a call notifying me that the Focus repairs have been completed and that FORD has chose to cover all associated costs with the repair.

Fingers crossed.

PP

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Don't know what level of parts inventory Ford might attempt to require of it's Dealers.

This Old Fart was just amazed years ago already now that the Bean Counting trend toward low inventories had reached the point of tossing year old parts annually when exposed to it at a Volvo/Mack Truck Dealer.

Trained back when the 5&10 was still around in retail, and "out of stock" on a staple item meant lost sales, I can't imagine leaving an item you might expect to need regularly on "order when needed" status. Extra expense of inventory is offset by savings from more efficient repair (finish it in one attempt) with the bonus of improved customer relations.

Unfortunately IMHO that takes "big picture" analysis, with a dept. goal of low inventory easier to track and reward.

In an era of just in time inventory where a single delayed truck load can shut down an assembly plant, and Amazon is trying to automate household staple reordering to get all the business bypassing ANY local stocking, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Car wouldn't start

Went to start my 1012 Focus last Friday and it wouldn't start.

I had to get it towed to the local dealer.

They said it was under warranty (bad transmission control module) and there was no charge.

I assume Ford won't reimburse for the towing charge under this scenario?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Went to start my 1012 Focus last Friday and it wouldn't start.

I had to get it towed to the local dealer.

They said it was under warranty (bad transmission control module) and there was no charge.

I assume Ford won't reimburse for the towing charge under this scenario?
If you had it tow'd with Ford directly they would pay for it since it's covered under warranty (the problem ALSO need to be covered under warranty but that they don't tell you). In case for the future, here's the number:
US: 1-800-241-3673
Canada: 1-800-665-2006

Ford Roadside Assistance | Service & Maintenance | Official Ford Owner Site

161 - 180 of 385 Posts