Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 385 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Took my car in yesterday for the tranny issue. Had to call them today for an update. Was told that the TCM failed and the car will not go into reverse. Hmmm? Must have just happened as this was not the case when I brought it to you on Monday.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Took my car in yesterday for the tranny issue. Had to call them today for an update. Was told that the TCM failed and the car will not go into reverse. Hmmm? Must have just happened as this was not the case when I brought it to you on Monday.
Did they quote you how long it would take?

I was told a week on the phone for my TCM issue but its now Wednesday and I have not heard a peep, I just left the service manager a voicemail and am waiting to hear back.

I have a rental right now, but with being under 25 they charge me an arm and a leg on fees, and I would love to not pay for another week. (Its actually a 2015 Focus SE with the standard Auto transmission. Its 100x smoother than the DCT)

What is Ford's usual policy on loaner cars? Do you think they would give me one if it ends up being longer than the original stated time? I am not in the bumper to bumper warranty, so I would assume no. Can you pay for one from Ford?

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Its actually a 2015 Focus SE with the standard Auto transmission. Its 100x smoother than the DCT
I'm fairly certain your rental has a DCT - it's just functioning properly. It may not have SelectShift, but it's still a DCT. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any US 2015 Focus models have slush-box automatic transmissions.

I think the 2016+ Focus models will offer the 6F15 automatic transmission with the 1.0L EcoBoost 3 cylinder engine.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm fairly certain your rental has a DCT - it's just functioning properly. It may not have SelectShift, but it's still a DCT. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any US 2015 Focus models have slush-box automatic transmissions.

I think the 2016+ Focus models will offer the 6F15 automatic transmission with the 1.0L EcoBoost 3 cylinder engine.
If that's the case then holy crap, mine is terrible. This is 100% smooth even at low speeds

I can burn rubber with this, on my Focus it takes until 3K RPM until it really starts to get going

It has L instead of sport, and also has hill assist button where my "Selectshift" is

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Yup, that's just the 'base" model DCT with different switches/programming for the sport/select shift instead of "low" and hill assist.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I just got off the phone with Ford, they said under the 14M02 they cover 1 day of rental for a car

She opened a case and forwarded it to the dealer to get me a longer rental covered by Ford. The service manager was not available so I left him a voicemail

I guess we will see what happens, it looks promising though. I was expecting a big fat no

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Wow, so does anyone else with the SelectShift have slow off the line performance? Or is it just the "faulty" ones?
The difference might not all be between the transmissions. There could also be differences in the stock tuning of the engines, traction control, and/or motor mounts between the different model years.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Wow, so does anyone else with the SelectShift have slow off the line performance? Or is it just the "faulty" ones?
My car got noticeably faster off the line after I received my first new clutch and programming at 62k miles.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My car got noticeably faster off the line after I received my first new clutch and programming at 62k miles.
I assume I end up with the newest programming if the TCM is getting replaced right? My clutches are remaining untouched as far as I know. I hope they are not that bad

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I assume I end up with the newest programming if the TCM is getting replaced right?
Yes, I would assume that is correct.
My clutches are remaining untouched as far as I know. I hope they are not that bad
They might be fine! Many owners didn't experience any clutch shudder problems from programming/mechanical issues. My clutch/seals were replaced simultaneously with my reprogram, so I can't say for sure what fixed the off-the-line characteristics.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well today is the day I am supposed to have my car back, and yesterday when I phoned for a status they let me know they have not even looked at it yet so I am very doubtful I will get it back this week

The rental car is also a no-go as far as I can tell, I have tried to contact both of the service managers 5 times, and left 2 messages and can not get in contact with them at all. So even if there was a way to get one, I cant speak to anyone about it

I phoned Ford customer service and they said the total time for the diag and repair was 3 hours. So why has my car sat around doing nothing for most of the week?

I guess I will just rent another car from Hertz, and then look into the new Acura ILX (Only a few K more than a new titanium, but comes with a lot more to offer, including free loaner car for life)

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
A few grand would cover a lot of rentals....

Ford uses that as a selling point for their extended warranties, Acura obviously as part of the "premium brand" image.

Still funny that the U.S. is the only place where they split their offerings with two brands. That routine seems to work better for Lexus.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
It Bleeps, but you might be out of luck anywhere for that - including the "loaners".

Not trying to give you grief, it just strikes me funny when "Dealer Experience" comparisons are made between brands that have different levels of required "perks" from Dealer to customer.

Most at every level are trying to put on a better show, but there's still a difference that's obvious between the regular brands and the "upscale" ones.

It's not part of the car, but it's part of what you pay for when buying one. Some image, some actual service.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well I went at 4:30PM to the dealer to see what was going on as they could not replicate the problem, the service manager said he would leave the car booked in and I could drive it over the weekend and see if I can get it to do it

While I was waiting, a tech managed to get it to malfunction and pull the codes. They let me take the car and are going to call me when they confirm they have the part, and they will change the TCM the same day

Overall I am happy I will not have to get another rental, but I think their communication is terrible

81 - 100 of 385 Posts