Focus Fanatics Forum banner

New Warranty Extension on TCM 14m02

198475 396
TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Dealers
SUBJECT: Customer Satisfaction Program 14M02

February 20, 2015
Certain 2011 through 2015 Model Year Fiesta and 2012 through 2015 Model Year Focus Vehicles Equipped with a DPS6 Automatic Transmission
Transmission Control Module Extended Warranty Coverage
REF: Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 15-0017 – No Start And/Or Transmission Engagement Or Loss Of Power With DTCs U0100, U0101 And/Or U1013
PROGRAM TERMS
Ford is extending the warranty coverage on the DPS6 Automatic Transmission Control Module (TCM) to 10 years of service or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. This extended warranty coverage will address intermittent symptoms of loss of transmission engagement while driving, no-start, or a lack of power. If a vehicle has already exceeded either the time or mileage limits, this coverage will last through September 30, 2015. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.
NOTE: This program DOES NOT apply to vehicles that qualify for repairs under New Vehicle Limited Warranty Powertrain coverage or Emissions Warranty coverage. Repairs for vehicles covered by New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Emissions Warranty should be claimed following Warranty & Policy Manual guidelines. Refer to TSB 15-0017 for repairs covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Emissions Warranty.

Added - see thumbnail picture of the letters in this post:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/8209226-post1.html
381 - 397 of 397 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 2014 Titanium just threw the p0902 code yesterday and drove weird with no power. Pulled into a parking lot and powercycled the car and then hooked my code reader up and tried to erase the code. No luck. Headed to the dealer tomorrow morning. Yea. Car now has 60,000 miles on it and this is the first check engine light. I need to remove Tom's Tune before I drop it off.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Two questions about the following:

<<14M02: Ford is extending the warranty coverage on the DPS6 Automatic Transmission Control Module (TCM) to 10 years of service or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. >>

1) What is the start date of 10 years of service, the build date? The purchase date? Some other date?

2) Similarly, what is the warranty start date, the purchase date?

I'm almost sure I've read the answer in this thread before but cannot recall it and now I can't locate it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Two questions about the following:

<<14M02: Ford is extending the warranty coverage on the DPS6 Automatic Transmission Control Module (TCM) to 10 years of service or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. >>

1) What is the start date of 10 years of service, the build date? The purchase date? Some other date?

2) Similarly, what is the warranty start date, the purchase date?

I'm almost sure I've read the answer in this thread before but cannot recall it and now I can't locate it.

Warranty start and years of service are the same - the day car was purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
A guy just posted about TCM failure in a 2016 on Reddit. I haven't seen anybody of this year model say theirs failed until now.

Don't understand how hard it is to crack open what is essentially a computer and figure out what's failing in it.

Ford gets an F for just throwing parts at all their problems. Oh, and did anyone ever tell them the DPS6 software sucks?

They've changed next to nothing with these cars over the years. It's dumb.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome, jjh42!

What's the current status of your Focus? Please let me know if you've had it repaired for this, or if the symptoms are continuing, along with your mileage.

Meagan
Hi Meagan, not sure if you are still around, but my son's 2013 Focus just had the same issue yesterday at 78000 miles. It wouldn't reverse and the check engine light is on. I called several Ford dealerships around my area and they are either all booked or they don't even service transmission issues at all. Those that can service it the next appointment is not available until a month out. This is such a disaster for him since he needs the car for work and school. Ford needs to not just repair the vehicle but reimburse all the troubles (extra expenses like rental or Uber and time and stress) that people are going through due to this. I had a bad experience 15 years ago with a Ford vehicle I owned, but I thought they have made improvements since and gave it another shot, and this is what I get in return. Extremely disappointed at Ford and Ford dealers and this will be my last Ford you can be sure of that.

·
Registered
2018 Focus SE Sedan
219 Posts
Oh! Question! I lost my paperwork that I got recently in the mail about the warranty extension for my 2014. Does anyone know where I can get a copy since it wasn't from the dealership but from Ford directly?
Is it this?

Cheers, Rod

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 2016, My daughter just started having problems again, bucking and high revs. Only 124000 miles. This, if we repair it, will be the 3rd time.
Ford said my warranty was expired, the one I purchased, but said nothing of this 150000 mile warranty

·
Registered
2 Posts
My daughter in college has a 2012 Ford Focus SEL. It went into the shop Aug 28 - they thought the intermit start prob was the battery. But it was not they said they saw a wave in the alternator but said it should take it to a full service shop. I did - they recalibrated and ran tests found nothing. Picked up car. Started not starting again took it back they ran more tests said it was the PCM - and that is should be covered by FORD. Took to Ford they say it is the TCM and it is 4 months too late to be covered by the TSB. Worse they are months away from getting in TCM. Since there was a bulletin and others have had this problem - can anyone tell me where I can take the car to get a TCM? I realize that even though I did not know about the issue, if it is beyond the TSB FORD will just order the part and sit on it until the months go by. Is there anywhere to get a TCM?

·
Registered
2018 Focus SE Sedan
219 Posts
I did not know about the issue, if it is beyond the TSB FORD will just order the part and sit on it until the months go by. Is there anywhere to get a TCM?
Unfortunately they have been in very short supply for over a year due to the chip shortage. I had to wait 8 weeks last summer for a replacement for my 2014 under the TSB, and there are recent posts of people having to wait many months.

Your best bet is probably a wrecking yard; find one from a car that was in a collision. Mine with the new TCM and clutches was totaled a couple of months back, so someone will probably be lucky to get that one.

Alternatively, there are "remanufactured" units available on eBay from China, but I have no idea of the quality. EDIT; there are some on Amazon as well; same caveat. FYI, Ford charges $463 forone.

Good Luck.
Rod

·
Registered
2018 Focus SE Sedan
219 Posts
One other thing; clean the ground connections underneath the air filter box. Some have had transmission issues resolved by removing the bolts holding the conectors, cleaning the connections and the frame around the bolt holes, and reassembling with a dab of grease. It's worth a try.

Good Luck.
Rod

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got my note for the TCM warranty Extension.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Why doesn't Ford buyback the Ford Focus instead of extending the TCM warranty? That way they could get rid of the angry Ford customers that are hurting their reputation with their complaints and burdening their dealers like Maplecrest Ford Lincoln of Union NJ? Ed Anderson

·
Registered
2018 Focus SE Sedan
219 Posts
Why doesn't Ford buyback the Ford Focus instead of extending the TCM warranty? That way they could get rid of the angry Ford customers that are hurting their reputation with their complaints and burdening their dealers like Maplecrest Ford Lincoln of Union NJ? Ed Anderson
They sold about 1.2 million here in the States between 2012 and 2019 (we have an '18 bought new in 2019) Assuming 80% have DTCs, and they bought them back for $20,000, that is $20 Billion. That is a lot of coin, and that doesn't include those made and sold overseas...

·
Registered
19 Posts
They sold about 1.2 million here in the States between 2012 and 2019 (we have an '18 bought new in 2019) Assuming 80% have DTCs, and they bought them back for $20,000, that is $20 Billion. That is a lot of coin, and that doesn't include those made and sold overseas...
Maybe the gov can bail us out and give us each $10,000 to help buy another car. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Focus with 140k miles and it just now started displaying symptoms of the transmission issues. I called Ford and they said my 10 year warranty extension expired in May. Anyone deal with this and know what I can do to still get recourse? I spoke to a supervisor about how to get an exception and escalation and she said there's no such thing. Would I just need to sue them? Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Focus SE Sedan
219 Posts
I have a 2012 Focus with 140k miles and it just now started displaying symptoms of the transmission issues. I called Ford and they said my 10 year warranty extension expired in May. Anyone deal with this and know what I can do to still get recourse? I spoke to a supervisor about how to get an exception and escalation and she said there's no such thing. Would I just need to sue them? Thanks
Presuming you are in the US, there was a legal settlement to a class action suit, of which you (and I and most members of this Forum) are members, so you can't sue them.

140K is a pretty good run for a transmission, particularly this one. Pay them to fix it...

381 - 397 of 397 Posts