Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 385 Posts

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Hate to say it Mr. C, but this one only covers the more serious issues like not starting, not shifting, and subsequent loss of power.

The driveability concerns are still part of the clutch/seals/programming fixes.

Durn good to see it covered, we had plenty the Forum helped out in the past when these problems weren't even believed - since DTC's often didn't show or disappeared when restarted & the car then drove fine.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Hate to say it Mr. C, but this one only covers the more serious issues like not starting, not shifting, and subsequent loss of power.

The driveability concerns are still part of the clutch/seals/programming fixes.

Durn good to see it covered, we had plenty the Forum helped out in the past when these problems weren't even believed - since DTC's often didn't show or disappeared when restarted & the car then drove fine.
You're right Sailor, but I think from this and the other warranty extension, we can see the "all is normal" wall cracking and failing.

And best of all, in my opinion, there actually are things they can do to permanently fix it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2012 focus is having these issues and I personally just want my money back to purchase a safer vehicle. I have been doing some research and it seems ford has know about it since 2011, yet are now just doing something to try and fix the problem (i would guess because of the class action lawsuit filed regarding these issues). I dont believe any software update is going to fix the problem as I think the PowerShift Transmission is the problem. And without changing the whole transmission it will always perform this way. I feel like I was lied to by the dealership, in their no mention of this problem, at the time of my purchase. I no longer have any trust or faith in the ford brand and will never purchase or recommend ford to anyone...I bought this car naively thinking ford had turned the corner and started producing quality, fuel efficient vehicles....sadly, I was wrong :(

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Did you read this thread before posting?

It's not about any "software update". If you had the issues this thread addresses you'd need a Hdwe. replacement & the car wouldn't have been useable for long. Very few have had this problem compared to drivability issues addressed by a different repair.

Post your actual issues and I'll make your posts their own thread, better than here where it doesn't fit.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
mine failed at 40,146 miles. a month before I received the TCM notice.
Welcome, jjh42!

What's the current status of your Focus? Please let me know if you've had it repaired for this, or if the symptoms are continuing, along with your mileage.

Meagan

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2012 Focus died yesterday while I was driving. It lost all power, the transmission wouldn't shift (I actually ended up getting a "transmission is overheating pull over" warning), and once I was able to coast the car to the side of the road and turn it off, it would not start again. Had the car towed to the dealership (after hours) and am hoping they will put me in a rental because now I am without transportation until this is fixed. This was quite the ordeal being that this happened while in rush hour traffic. I'm actually quite fed up with this car as this will be the 4th time it has been in the shop for transmission issues. It has 69,000 miles on it. After yesterday's ordeal, I hesitate to drive it even after they "fix" it because they are really just replacing a broken part with another part that I'm sure will break again since the transmission design seems to be the issue.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
My 2012 Focus died yesterday while I was driving. It lost all power, the transmission wouldn't shift (I actually ended up getting a "transmission is overheating pull over" warning), and once I was able to coast the car to the side of the road and turn it off, it would not start again. Had the car towed to the dealership (after hours) and am hoping they will put me in a rental because now I am without transportation until this is fixed. This was quite the ordeal being that this happened while in rush hour traffic. I'm actually quite fed up with this car as this will be the 4th time it has been in the shop for transmission issues. It has 69,000 miles on it. After yesterday's ordeal, I hesitate to drive it even after they "fix" it because they are really just replacing a broken part with another part that I'm sure will break again since the transmission design seems to be the issue.
It may not be as bad as you think. Ford has not only extended parts of the transmission warranty but also there is a revision F TSB that seems to be fixing things permanently.

I strongly recommend that you reach out to Meagan, the Ford rep here at this board to assist you in prompt dealer support for your issue(s). See post 26 on this same thread to find Meagan.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
My 2012 focus is having these issues and I personally just want my money back to purchase a safer vehicle. I have been doing some research and it seems ford has know about it since 2011, yet are now just doing something to try and fix the problem (i would guess because of the class action lawsuit filed regarding these issues). I dont believe any software update is going to fix the problem as I think the PowerShift Transmission is the problem. And without changing the whole transmission it will always perform this way. I feel like I was lied to by the dealership, in their no mention of this problem, at the time of my purchase. I no longer have any trust or faith in the ford brand and will never purchase or recommend ford to anyone...I bought this car naively thinking ford had turned the corner and started producing quality, fuel efficient vehicles....sadly, I was wrong :(
JSC people can and are finally getting permanent fixes thru a revision F - TSB.
Totally agree with your general sentiments but 3 years late, a fix seems to have shown up.
Sad how many owners had to be danced around to a fare-thee-well with the "everything is normal, you must be driving it wrong memo" and by those who went for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the TCM replaced last July and haven't had any issues since. I also haven't had to take it in for any stuttering or shift issues and it has 85,000 on it; maybe I have one of the few non-lemon transmissions. Anyway, I was worried to drive it the first few weeks after getting fixed too but haven't thought about it dying on me since late last summer. Hope this helps with the confidence.

·
Registered
1 Posts
TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Dealers
SUBJECT: Customer Satisfaction Program 14M02

February 20, 2015
Certain 2011 through 2015 Model Year Fiesta and 2012 through 2015 Model Year Focus Vehicles Equipped with a DPS6 Automatic Transmission
Transmission Control Module Extended Warranty Coverage
REF: Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 15-0017 – No Start And/Or Transmission Engagement Or Loss Of Power With DTCs U0100, U0101 And/Or U1013
PROGRAM TERMS
Ford is extending the warranty coverage on the DPS6 Automatic Transmission Control Module (TCM) to 10 years of service or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. This extended warranty coverage will address intermittent symptoms of loss of transmission engagement while driving, no-start, or a lack of power. If a vehicle has already exceeded either the time or mileage limits, this coverage will last through September 30, 2015. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.
NOTE: This program DOES NOT apply to vehicles that qualify for repairs under New Vehicle Limited Warranty Powertrain coverage or Emissions Warranty coverage. Repairs for vehicles covered by New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Emissions Warranty should be claimed following Warranty & Policy Manual guidelines. Refer to TSB 15-0017 for repairs covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Emissions Warranty.

Added - see thumbnail picture of the letters in this post:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/8209226-post1.html
I have a 2012 Focus SEL with 74,400 miles on it. It always had the shudder and stumble associated with these transmissions. I was told by the dealer that this is "normal". It is not and can be fixed by replacement of the TCM. I recently received this letter in the mail. The very next day I experienced a "Transmission Malfunction" and "Service Now" indication on the instrument panel ( between the tachometer and speedometer). The car would stumble and rev up but, hardly move. I coasted to the side of the congested Interstate-5 in Portland, OR. Shut off the car. I restarted the car. The malfunction indication went away and the car drove normally. The next day during the morning commute on Highway 26 West out of Portland, it got the same failure and malfunction indication. This resulted in a near accident and being rear ended by several semi's at 65 MPH!. Coasted to the side of the road amid honking of horns, flashing of lights and several middle fingers; turned off the key. I restarted the car and went to the Ford Dealer where I purchased the car (Vancouver Ford). I mentioned this letter and talked about the problems that I had. After a little playing dumb and good cop bad cop, the service writers looked at each other and knew that I needed and wanted the TCM (transmission control module) replaced. They had one in stock. It only took about an hour to install it. Credit to them they did not dispute anything any longer and were very professional. The car runs and performs better that it did when I bought it new and it was done under warranty! If you have this problem this is the fix. Do not fall for that "that is normal for these transmissions" or "you are driving it wrong". Insist on having the TCM replaced.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Do you have any updates since this morning about your Focus?

...I strongly recommend that you reach out to Meagan, the Ford rep here at this board to assist you in prompt dealer support for your issue(s). See post 26 on this same thread to find Meagan.
Thanks!

Meagan

·
Registered
9 Posts
is this covered for Canadian vehicles as well? I hate to say it because I have always said this car is pretty decent and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but after 2 clutch assembly replacements, then a transmission rebuild (all before 100,000KMs), and now while making a turn into oncoming traffic at a set of lights the car dies and I get a "park assist malfunction" warning message. I cant help but say this car is a complete piece of shit. Ive asked the dealership numerous times about TSB's and wanting them all up to date, even several months ago when the transmission got rebuilt they told me that there were no bulletins to repair. May sound out of line but when you have your 6 year old niece in the back and your fiancée in the passenger seat and having a car coming at you going at least 60km/h without any power, its pretty nerve wracking. I cannot wait to get rid of this garbage. I guess I got one of the lemon cars out of the batch.

To top it all off, the car finally starts after letting it sit for 4 hours. Awesome.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
is this covered for Canadian vehicles as well? I hate to say it because I have always said this car is pretty decent and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but after 2 clutch assembly replacements, then a transmission rebuild (all before 100,000KMs), and now while making a turn into oncoming traffic at a set of lights the car dies and I get a "park assist malfunction" warning message. I cant help but say this car is a complete piece of shit. Ive asked the dealership numerous times about TSB's and wanting them all up to date, even several months ago when the transmission got rebuilt they told me that there were no bulletins to repair. May sound out of line but when you have your 6 year old niece in the back and your fiancée in the passenger seat and having a car coming at you going at least 60km/h without any power, its pretty nerve wracking. I cannot wait to get rid of this garbage. I guess I got one of the lemon cars out of the batch.

To top it all off, the car finally starts after letting it sit for 4 hours. Awesome.
You are right to be dissatisfied , I don't know if meagan can help you in Canada, but she is a Ford rep here who has helped dozens of people in USA

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
You are right to be dissatisfied , I don't know if meagan can help you in Canada, but she is a Ford rep here who has helped dozens of people in USA
The Ford Canada account is here. The agents are currently Kwasi, Nikki, and Brittany. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
233 Posts

I'll research this further, michalcapar. What's the current odometer reading on your Focus? Please let me know.

Brittany

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Transmission Malfunction warning light (again). Car back to garage last night.
Will update when I know what's causing the latest failure.
Keep me in the loop on what you hear; I want to see how I can best assist.

Meagan

·
Registered
468 Posts
They cover the clutch stuff in the paperwork with this too but it is the same as before.

I got a spreadsheet with it too that had 49 repairs with mileage and the average failure was about 90000. The lowest having 60000. Highest 130000 miles. None except the one below 75000.
Mine (47,000 miles) just pitched a P0902, then ran fine and the CEL went out last Saturday. Took it in Monday, the stored code was read and the TCM was replaced on the spot under the emissions warranty.

21 - 40 of 385 Posts