Focus Fanatics Forum banner

301 - 320 of 385 Posts

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
If replaced when out of the factory drive train warranty (past 60k) you got a special consideration, not included in any official warranty extension.

The actuator motors are external to the trans. so labor isn't as bad as an internal part, don't know list prices for parts/labor for that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am back at the dealer today because they said the actuator won't cover under the warranty. I asked the service rep how much to fix it if I am to pay myself. He told me 4k. Does this sound logical? He said the tech told him it will take 10 hrs of labor. The part is also back order.

·
Registered
26 Posts
After having this done now the battery is somehow being drained so in the morning it's dead,chalk it up as an odd occurrence and the battery just needs replaced or a sign something wasn't done correctly the car never had this problem till after this work was done

I'vetested the battery it tested good with my battery tester after driving it for over an hour and took it and had it tested by auto zone the first time this happened they also said it was good so any ideas on what this could be would be great I'm good to swap the battery first as it's almost 3 years old hoping it's this but I have my doubts

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
I am back at the dealer today because they said the actuator won't cover under the warranty. I asked the service rep how much to fix it if I am to pay myself. He told me 4k. Does this sound logical? He said the tech told him it will take 10 hrs of labor. The part is also back order.
No this doesn't sound logical.

I'd want a lot more explanation before going ahead with that Dealer, at the best they are not doing a decent job of explanation.

Actuator parts (call it a linkage) inside the case that attach the external actuator to the clutch could require a lot of labor, but 3k for parts? NOT reasonable.

One member got a new trans he had to pay for (not including clutch mech) for 5k for a comparison.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
After having this done now the battery is somehow being drained so in the morning it's dead,chalk it up as an odd occurrence and the battery just needs replaced or a sign something wasn't done correctly the car never had this problem till after this work was done

I'vetested the battery it tested good with my battery tester after driving it for over an hour and took it and had it tested by auto zone the first time this happened they also said it was good so any ideas on what this could be would be great I'm good to swap the battery first as it's almost 3 years old hoping it's this but I have my doubts
You'd have to test for key off drain after it sits for a while, or at least see if it drains when disconnected overnight to start with.

An hour of driving won't fully charge a truly drained battery, and it puts a terrible load on the alternator (possible damage from that), so it sounds like a situation where there's less than such a complete drain.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Spoke with Ford they said to take it to a dealer and they will check it out and they also. informed me of the door latch recall so the plot thickens

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just wanted to post here regarding my car which is a 2012 Focus S. The clutches in my car have always been a little noisy especially when cruising up a slight hill. Saying that I have not experienced any judder and thus I am on the original clutch pack. This week I experienced loss of drive on several occasions leaving the car immobile for short periods of time. At the time the current gear indicator would dissappear from the instrument cluster. It would then return a few minutes later and the car could be driven again.

I took it to my dealer who reprogrammed the TCM with the latest software. The following day the loss of power returned. This time a transmission warning service message appeared and the check engine light came on. I understand that the latest software adds this feature of recognition. The car went into what I suspect was a limp home mode. It could be driven but the gear changes were very slow remaining in gear until approximately 3500rpm was reached.

I returned to the dealer and the mechanic was happy to see the error surprisingly, but he exclaimed, "Good, now I can replace your TCM with a new one."

I asked if the new TCM would be the latest version, and he said it would be. They had them in stock and I was back on the road 3 hours later.

So far the car feels more responsive and does what I tell it quicker. Gear changes are smooth and it doesn't seem to be hunting for the right gear like before. Previously my car also slipped the clutches way too much if pushing the engine to overtake vehicles and I would also get a slight smell from the clutches. This has also gone for the moment.

Clutches are still a little noisy, but I'll wait and see if that improves over time.

So far I am happy with the new TCM, even if I am still on the original clutches.

One more thing to note, I am in Thailand so temperatures are always on the warm side if that is of any relevance.

All work was performed free on charge under the extended warranty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Spoke with Ford they said to take it to a dealer and they will check it out and they also. informed me of the door latch recall so the plot thickens
Got to looking at the battery and noticed the sticker was rubbed off so I can't tell what type of battery was put in my car after the TCM repair so I swapped the battery with a battery specs made for my car and have had no issues since I'd hate to assume the worst so I'll assume someone wasn't paying attention and put the wrong battery type in my car .what to do next will be the interesting part any ideas on how I should handle this forum vets?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Wait for latches to be avail. for the recall?

Supposedly prioritized to "hot" states from what I've read, where first sold would be the determining factor. IDk that northern folks will get it without a failure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new here! I have a 2012 Focus hatch with 90k miles. I've starting experiencing really bad TCM issues, but haven't had any lights or anything alerting me, just terrible shifting. I'm honestly considering trading for an ST if the TCM replacement isn't a truly permanent fix. Any thoughts or experiences?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new here! I have a 2012 Focus hatch with 90k miles. I've starting experiencing really bad TCM issues, but haven't had any lights or anything alerting me, just terrible shifting. I'm honestly considering trading for an ST if the TCM replacement isn't a truly permanent fix. Any thoughts or experiences?
Unsure if any Ford extended (read: complimentary) warranty would assist at that mileage, but you may want to look into it if you want a fee-free fix.

I never once had any error lights when my TCM/clutches were replaced. And I had that work done, with an additional reprogram in there as well.

Lots of people are moving away from the Focus after their experiences with the 2011-2015/6 MYs, and as an owner of a 14 myself, I probably wouldn't get anything with a DCT again. More importantly, I don't think I would get this size class anymore. Fusion it is!

That being said, the most recent clutch revision has been very good so far. Only minor shifting errors.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
14M01 for clutches/seals/programming is good to 100k on the '12 cars (time limits not reached yet).

14M02 for the TCM goes until 10/150k, so plenty of time remains on that one.

"Terrible shifting" doesn't have any key words to indicate a specific item to blame yet for me, more description of how it acts could be useful.

Either way there's still extended warranty avail. to help for now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Unsure if any Ford extended (read: complimentary) warranty would assist at that mileage, but you may want to look into it if you want a fee-free fix.

I never once had any error lights when my TCM/clutches were replaced. And I had that work done, with an additional reprogram in there as well.

Lots of people are moving away from the Focus after their experiences with the 2011-2015/6 MYs, and as an owner of a 14 myself, I probably wouldn't get anything with a DCT again. More importantly, I don't think I would get this size class anymore. Fusion it is!

That being said, the most recent clutch revision has been very good so far. Only minor shifting errors.
Thanks! I'm still under warranty but I don't want to have to bring my car to the shop every other month! (If the TCM replacement won't be a permanent fix). Appreciate your help!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
14M01 for clutches/seals/programming is good to 100k on the '12 cars (time limits not reached yet).

14M02 for the TCM goes until 10/150k, so plenty of time remains on that one.

"Terrible shifting" doesn't have any key words to indicate a specific item to blame yet for me, more description of how it acts could be useful.

Either way there's still extended warranty avail. to help for now.
I've already had my mechanics testing it, the TCM needs to be replaced. I'm really just looking for people with experience having had them replaced, and how long the replacement will last.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Paige I suggest you go to the dealer as your transmission is still in its warranty period. Don't let them talk you out of a repair so push and make sure they know that you aren't leaving until the TCM is replaced or the transmission is repaired. You should not pay a cent out of pocket and don't fall for the "Diagnostic" fee.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I've already had my mechanics testing it, the TCM needs to be replaced. I'm really just looking for people with experience having had them replaced, and how long the replacement will last.

The replacement should last longer than the original since there have been revisions to the part improving quality and shifting. So you should expect to have no problems if the install is done correctly.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It takes an hour to change the TCM. It is very easy to access from under the car on the side of and trans.

The replacement is free if you are in the warranty specs.

If you are experiencing problems, why would you wait? .... unless your dealer is a long way from your home maybe.

Just for the record, I am a week into my new TCM. Very happy how the car drives and shifts now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Paige I suggest you go to the dealer as your transmission is still in its warranty period. Don't let them talk you out of a repair so push and make sure they know that you aren't leaving until the TCM is replaced or the transmission is repaired. You should not pay a cent out of pocket and don't fall for the "Diagnostic" fee.

Thanks for the help - but I think I'm ordering my new FiST tomorrow!

301 - 320 of 385 Posts