Focus Fanatics Forum banner

281 - 300 of 385 Posts

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Why the New battery? Is the battery affected by a defective TCM??
Battery isn't affected by a bad TCM, but a bad battery can affect anything that operates both electrically & electronically (electric actuators and computer electronics in that module).

If the clutch seems not bad, is getting this Recall service done a good idea???
This isn't a recall, and you're not reading a thread on clutches. This is about a warranty extension on the TCM so you're covered for 2012-2015 models until 10/150k if it fails.

There's a similar warranty extension (14M01) for clutches/seals/programming on specific earlier model years.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
This would be a better one:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-tsb-recall-problems-archive/455833-14m01-ford-dual-clutch-warranty-extension-details-new-tsb-clutch-parts.html

What's REALLY interesting - hang on a sec, I've got to post another reference thread...

OK, here's one that might apply to that:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-tsb-recall-problems-archive/594257-field-service-action-15b22.html

The 15b22 update is one that was offered in a letter to customers, optional update and I thought it was actually out of date by now for the free update program. Didn't check that thread in detail to look for the expiration date again.

The first program mentioned is an extended warranty, and the first step when a customer comes in with a "shudder" complaint is a reflash and testing to determine the extent of the issue. Results determine if anything else will be done at the time. NOT something they're supposed to call you for and suggest having it done.

Second one linked was offered to everyone, good to have done as it adds codes that could warn of impending TCM failure or at least record it so a replacement could be done if needed for a temp. issue that otherwise might not show when taken to the Dealer. Also NOT in the category where they'd likely give you a call, but it's possible.

So far there hasn't been any recall info. posted on the transmission at all, and no official program to contact owners for any service directly from a Dealer.

It would be interesting to know why they contacted you, and what program they're doing it under. Free 15b22 would be worth it to most if you decide to get it done.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Dealers get paid for warranty work so...
just an opinion but the DCT issues seem to be a sticky issue for the dealers. By that I mean in many ways, Ford is still trying to duck the gravity of the situation. The initial memo on power shift characteristics was proven wrong on many points as subsequent tsp's fixed issues that it had once explained were normal. The you have the slippage tests, without which Ford won't pay for a fix. So the service septs and techs KNOW the depth of the problems but their hands are tied, or worse, by Ford.

·
FF Affiliate
30,621 Posts
People also need to keep in mind that if a dealer does more warranty work then "Ford" thinks they should be doing they get a butt chewing , if it doesnt slow down it can get MUCH worse for the Dealership

Dealerships are independently owned but "Ford" controls everything from what the dealership looks like to how many vehicles they get to the amount of warranty work they can do

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
I received the letter in the mail about 14M02 a few days ago, just brought my Focus to the dealer this morning. I had brought the Focus to the dealer back in November 2015 because of the stuttering and slipping of the transmission, and they said it was "normal" but they said they applied a software update. I saw a slight improvement, but then things got bad again.

The issue is very intermittent, sometime drives fine, sometimes the whole car shakes and almost stalls when trying to pull out into traffic. I brought the car to the dealer today, and told them I'd like the control module replaced, and they said they would run tests. Then the service guy said again, "just remember, some shaking is normal." Are these guys gonna replace the TCM for me? Of course at the moment it's not really shaking or slipping at all.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
I'm afraid that you're reading in the wrong set of threads, the TCM isn't involved in "shudder" except as it's programming may have an effect.

TCM replacement is for a failure of electronics/mechanical shift motors included in the unit. Typically when it starts failing to shift when commanded, goes to neutral instead of a gear temporarily, won't start, and/or exhibits a CEL/warning message.

Clutch "shudder" on engagement is a different issue with LOTS of info. and discussion here.

·
Registered
61 Posts
just an opinion but the DCT issues seem to be a sticky issue for the dealers. By that I mean in many ways, Ford is still trying to duck the gravity of the situation. The initial memo on power shift characteristics was proven wrong on many points as subsequent tsp's fixed issues that it had once explained were normal. The you have the slippage tests, without which Ford won't pay for a fix. So the service septs and techs KNOW the depth of the problems but their hands are tied, or worse, by Ford.
Keep in mind I am not being apologetic for Ford and have been and still remain very critical of how they have handled the DCT issues, Ford is performing triage in dispensing the insufficient supply of clutches. If the clutch in one car can keep going a while longer, why use up a limited supply of clutches and put another customer car out of action?

I am in limp mode with transmission fault message, so hopefully whatever part I need is properly allocated. I guess I need to get on twitter and @FordService them

Just because they get paid for warranty work doesn't mean they make a profit or that it is the most profitable service they could be performing with the bay and technician.

The shortage of clutch orders is probably causing them quite a bit of grief and wasted time as well. Instead of diagnosing a car and taking immediate action to repair it, almost every car is going into the bay twice. Once for diagnosis, and weeks later for repair when clutches are available.

I think a lot of the dealers want people to go elsewhere so they don't have to deal with it, but unfortunately there isn't anywhere else to go that isn't in the same boat.

All of the dealers here claim at least a week backlog in transmission shop, if not longer. My dealer quoted 2-3 days just for a diagnosis.

The funny thing is that many of the dealers here are bluntly honest about how widespread the problem is and that Ford does not have a permanent fix, and others still try the line of that is just how they shift.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Keep in mind I am not being apologetic for Ford and have been and still remain very critical of how they have handled the DCT issues, Ford is performing triage in dispensing the insufficient supply of clutches. If the clutch in one car can keep going a while longer, why use up a limited supply of clutches and put another customer car out of action?

I am in limp mode with transmission fault message, so hopefully whatever part I need is properly allocated. I guess I need to get on twitter and @FordService them

Just because they get paid for warranty work doesn't mean they make a profit or that it is the most profitable service they could be performing with the bay and technician.

The shortage of clutch orders is probably causing them quite a bit of grief and wasted time as well. Instead of diagnosing a car and taking immediate action to repair it, almost every car is going into the bay twice. Once for diagnosis, and weeks later for repair when clutches are available.

I think a lot of the dealers want people to go elsewhere so they don't have to deal with it, but unfortunately there isn't anywhere else to go that isn't in the same boat.

All of the dealers here claim at least a week backlog in transmission shop, if not longer. My dealer quoted 2-3 days just for a diagnosis.

The funny thing is that many of the dealers here are bluntly honest about how widespread the problem is and that Ford does not have a permanent fix, and others still try the line of that is just how they shift.
I hear where you're coming from, Focused. Ford has known about these problems starting all the way back to model year 2012. The long delay for clutches story is well over a year old. There is no reason on earth, given so many years prior knowledge, that they haven't ramped up production to compensate . In my opinion, there has been a long, prolonged campaign to divert people away with memos, slippage tests, yadda, yadda.
Many Focus owners have made the reasonable but wrong assumption that Ford would care about their needs and treat them with the respect due their hard earned money.

I do not think this is the fault of some "dealers" who don't care, its too widespread.

It is the Ford Motor company who does not care.

I applaud every owner who has grabbed a lawyer and gotten a buyback and/or lemon law ruling. I also applaud every owner who has used their common sense and realized that its not THEM, the car is not driving right. Last but not least I am glad people are starting to notice that many things the Ford memo said were normal and you should get used to, go AWAY after the various repairs. Theres your proof that the company was not being honest in my opinion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
just got the error light of death on mine ref to the op post, they reprogrammed tested and it failed they said the clutch needed replaced the clutch was replaced picking it up tomorrow will keep you guys updated on how things go to help others the miles are at 73000

·
Registered
26 Posts
Correct I brought it in in ref to the Customer Satisfaction Program 14M02 letter I got a week later I got the error light, new transmission is like night and day it acts like a normal transmission now the rpms are a lot higher so the car is a little shakey which I asked about and they said it was normal due to the new programming.bottom line they need to suck it up and do a recall the new transmission is a lot more responsive and no shutter so far we will see how things go from here

·
Registered
44 Posts
I first posted here early this year when my car first experienced the clutch problems.

(First time in dealership) The first repair associated with the transmission happened on January 25, 2016. I was experiencing shuttering and a loss of power when the car is in low gear between 1-2k rpm and traveling uphill. I took my car into the dealership (Serremonte Ford) where I purchased the car. They claimed there is a recall on the TCM module and the problems will be resolved once they perform the recall service. My car was at the dealership for 3-4 days before picking it up.

(Second time in dealership) Upon 5 minutes leaving the dealership and on the freeway on my way home. The check engine light came back on again and it exhibited shaking and a loss of power. I felt totally unsafe so I returned to the dealership immediately. I left the car there for them to run their diagnostics. Then I was informed the clutch would need to be replaced <first time clutch being replaced>. However, due to the fact this is a known problem with many Focuses out there, there is a back order for the part and it might take up to six months for the parts to arrive at the dealership. This is totally unacceptable to me so I was looking at different options. I joined and researched throughout this forum and I was able to contact a customer service rep for my region here. She told me she would do her best to expedite the part process for my case. I ended up waiting for close to three months before my car was fixed. During this time, I was without my car while still making payments on it. This created a real inconvenience for me as I depend on my vehicle to and from work. My type of work also requires me to have dependable transportation between office and job sites.

On the side note, few weeks after I got my car back, my battery went out with bad corrosion. I think no one bother to disconnect the battery while my car was sitting at the dealership for the two months wait on the parts.

(Third time in dealership) This is non-transmission related but I had to take the car back to the dealership because of an emission problem. It turned out there is a problem with the fuel door system of the car. This was fully covered under the emission warranty.

(Fourth time in dealership) End of June, my car experienced yet another transmission related issue during one of my ride home from work. The transmission was having difficulty shifting out of gears as well as the symptoms I had experienced in my previous transmission/ clutch issue. At one point the car actually stalled at the intersection and I had to restart the car to get it moving. It took them 4-5 days to diagnose the problem. Eventually they had to replaced the clutch "again". Altogether I was without my car for close to another two weeks. Fortunately, the customer service rep was able to provide me a loaner this time but it still create inconvenience for me. I was just glad to get back my car but I should have known it won't last long.

(Fifth time in dealership) I was driving home after picking my car up from the dealership. About 3-4 blocks away from my home, my car was having transmission problem again. Same problems like before, shuttering, jerking, loss of power in low gears and uphill, and stalling because gears won't shifted. I was stuck at middle of the street and couple of intersections and had to frantically get my car moving while people were honking at me. I took my car back to the dealership the next day. They promised they will look into it right away. This time, they claimed they have to replaced the TCM module that control the shifting of the transmission. So I am few days without my car or any transportation because I already returned the rental.

Then, yesterday driving home from work, my car is experiencing latest issues with the transmission/ clutch. The car is jerking with a loss of power during low gears and going uphill. My family has owned many Ford products previously and have been satisfied. But my experience and drama with my Ford Focus is really disappointing. I tried to contact the same Service Rep that has helped me previously she sounds like she is not too eager to help me this time.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Sounds like a very bad saga, started by fixing the wrong thing on the first visit.

Duplicate posts are a problem though, you end up with multiple conversations on the same subject :http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-tsb-recall-problems-archive/455833-14m01-ford-dual-clutch-warranty-extension-details-new-tsb-clutch-parts-156.html#post10082281

Sure you don't just want ONE in it's own thread for more visibility? Could do that for you if you'd like so it doesn't get lost in the long threads here.

·
Registered
484 Posts
WOW!!! I thought Ford had this issue (DCT) under control with the latest TCM & clutch revisions? Is this a case of an incompetent dealership-mechanic or the problem starting all over again after a hot summer in most places? Where are those Ford rep's? Ford needs to install confidence in this transmissions- (FULL WARRANTY 10 years 150K miles everything including the clutch pack not just the TCM!)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got back a call from the dealer today. Look like my clutch actuator is bad and need to be replaced. However, they said my car is out of warranty and they do not have any authority from Ford for the repairs. During one of my previously visit with the clutch problem they had replaced the clutch actuator under the customer satisfactory program. Not sure why this problem return again. I called Ford regional service rep but have not heard back yet. I think I will never buy a Ford product again.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Didn't mention an actuator in your prev. post, there are two of them and they are not covered under either of the extended warranty programs.

Which gears are affected can be a diagnostic for those, 1,3,5 are engaged by one with 2,4,6 controlled by the other.

281 - 300 of 385 Posts