Focus Fanatics Forum banner

241 - 260 of 385 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
True, but in his defense, there are a lot of new members lately who maybe have not read it all in old threads yet. Likewise, as he has reminded me, I'm a bit of a broken record in my enthusiasm for the 20 year old technology of the 5-speed manual. (Especially when compared to the particular DCT in the Mk3 Focus.)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
i think they meant during the 'learning' process - like it would have some effect if you WOT'ed.
Actually, WOT has been recommended here many times as a way to reduce shuddering. There is also anther school of thought on taping gaps in the air duct and/or snorkel delete
This forum features many work arounds I've ever seen for what should be a working new car.
And has anyone seen ANY of the Ford reps lately here?

·
Registered
57 Posts
And has anyone seen ANY of the Ford reps lately here?
Interesting that you noticed that too.
I have not.
And I recently made some comments that, in the past, would have garnered their immediate attention. [???:)]
It's really no sweat off my back, but I was just thinking about that a couple days ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just got diagnosed last night with a bad TCM, I had issues with the car starting/delayed start after turning the key. Said they would expedite the part so i got to wait a little bit.

They gave me a rental which they said was the last one they had at the dealership. A ford transit connect, which I actually kind of enjoy driving.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank Goodness

I bought my car used in January - 2014 Ford Focus SEL - and turns out they don't let you return cars because they suck - so I am stuck with it.. I WANT to love it. But for that it needs to run properly

I immediately started having the stuttering issue, I looked it up and it was a "known issue" and "you're driving it wrong". It WAS a previous rental car, which is a bad choice if you need a car to know how YOU drive.. We have Ford Escape's at work for use, which I really like - so I was hopeful to love my focus...

It seemed to me as though you're driving a stick, but just learning and don't know how. I KNOW How to drive a stick, if I had a clutch then I could drive much better.

I have problem getting up to speed on the freeway, sometimes the RPM's go SUPER high before the car will shift.

I really hope this fixes the issues, since I have this car for 6 1/2 more years before it's paid off :(

I didn't get a recall letter, I did check for recall right after I got the car in January - there weren't any. I was checking to see if the sync system would tell me which of my tires is low - that is how I found out about the recall. It would have been better if I Had just received an email or text. But whatever, I know now... and I am just praying this fixes it as I take my children in this car.. and I fear for their safety when I am driving with them due to the issues. I am afraid to pull out of a street unless there is a TON of space between cars, because I never know how badly the car will stutter...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry if it's been discussed already, but how does the replacement hold up? My 2013 SE was in and out of the shop for the last week before they realized the TCM needed replacement. Luckily it was under the warranty still, but what I want to know is if this will fix the issues for good. The car runs great now and it's still got 100k left before this extended coverage is up, but I don't have the time to bring this in regularly for the issue.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Sorry if it's been discussed already, but how does the replacement hold up? My 2013 SE was in and out of the shop for the last week before they realized the TCM needed replacement. Luckily it was under the warranty still, but what I want to know is if this will fix the issues for good. The car runs great now and it's still got 100k left before this extended coverage is up, but I don't have the time to bring this in regularly for the issue.
I have been reading posts here for over 3 years and all fixes seem to hold up for several weeks to months, then the owner comes back with the same or new issues.

Toms Tune seems to have a far better track record

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
^^^ Mr. C - Think your comments are more applicable for the "shudder" complaints/clutch replacements than a TCM issue that's usually for shifting/starting problems.

Haven't seen multiple TCM replacements as an issue that's common, might have accidentally mixed the two situations.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
^^^ Mr. C - Think your comments are more applicable for the "shudder" complaints/clutch replacements than a TCM issue that's usually for shifting/starting problems.

Haven't seen multiple TCM replacements as an issue that's common, might have accidentally mixed the two situations.
I'd buy that Sailor, though often where one bogey man is seen, others follow

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just bought a 13 Titanium with 95k miles because my other car died. Seems im headed down the TCM failure road myself just days after buying this car. Ford is making me wait a week to get an appointment to get this problem looked at. Meanwhile I get to drive an unreliable car back and forth on my commute to work for a week praying it wont strand me. Low on power, odd or sloppy shifts, messages about overheating trans, hesitation when i accelerate only after it warms up or has been driven on the highway in this Las Vegas heat. Check engine light comes on and off at will. I cant just drop the car off and have nothing to drive 20 miles one way to work. Car shifts like a dream when the trans computer isn't losing its mind. Sometimes it does it every time i drive sometimes it does it once a week. I just pull the battery cable for a few minutes then go back to driving. Hoping this does not erase the codes that are stored. Ford needs to fix this once and for all or a actual federal recall needs to be released. Id even be willing to take a manual transmission as a suitable replacement but that would be tons of work. Keeping my fingers crossed they fix it right! Im so stressed out over all this!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Just bought a 13 Titanium with 95k miles because my other car died. Seems im headed down the TCM failure road myself just days after buying this car. Ford is making me wait a week to get an appointment to get this problem looked at. Meanwhile I get to drive an unreliable car back and forth on my commute to work for a week praying it wont strand me. Low on power, odd or sloppy shifts, messages about overheating trans, hesitation when i accelerate only after it warms up or has been driven on the highway in this Las Vegas heat. Check engine light comes on and off at will. I cant just drop the car off and have nothing to drive 20 miles one way to work. Car shifts like a dream when the trans computer isn't losing its mind. Sometimes it does it every time i drive sometimes it does it once a week. I just pull the battery cable for a few minutes then go back to driving. Hoping this does not erase the codes that are stored. Ford needs to fix this once and for all or a actual federal recall needs to be released. Id even be willing to take a manual transmission as a suitable replacement but that would be tons of work. Keeping my fingers crossed they fix it right! Im so stressed out over all this!
You should be fine, my TCM was failing and I had to do a battery pull just to get it to the dealer. I told them, and they just started the car like 20 times to get it to throw the code again

It sounds like its failing enough that a replacement should be easy

·
Registered
10 Posts
You should be fine, my TCM was failing and I had to do a battery pull just to get it to the dealer. I told them, and they just started the car like 20 times to get it to throw the code again

It sounds like its failing enough that a replacement should be easy
I just worry what kind of damage the transmission may be suffering esp the clutches from all this bad behavior from the TCM.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Each time you pull the cable codes are lost.

If it's bad enough an issue they can come back again quickly as mentioned above.

Even on a 95k car I'm surprised at it being sold by a Dealer without at least a 30 day warranty. They'd claim a TCM against Ford anyways with the warranty extension on that item, but you shouldn't have to worry that soon after purchase.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I just worry what kind of damage the transmission may be suffering esp the clutches from all this bad behavior from the TCM.
Yeah its always a worry, I got pretty lucky with my 2012 (Salvage Title), the TCM went at 44K and got replaced after around a month of it messing up, and its been fine ever since

I am still on stock clutches, and I got Toms tune which really smooths things out

·
Registered
10 Posts
I didnt buy it from a Ford dealer just a dealer that offers extended warranties so im taking this to ford as its covered under the warranty from ford. o
Each time you pull the cable codes are lost.

If it's bad enough an issue they can come back again quickly as mentioned above.

Even on a 95k car I'm surprised at it being sold by a Dealer without at least a 30 day warranty. They'd claim a TCM against Ford anyways with the warranty extension on that item, but you shouldn't have to worry that soon after purchase.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Pick carefully among aftermarket extended warranties if you buy one, some are not worth the paper they're printed on.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Quick read of info. from that outfit & complaints/resolutions brings a couple items to mind.

First, check their network listings for service facilities near you. "Out of network" would prob. require payment by you up front, and reimbursement is a question depending what is done & how it is written up.

Second, read the details of the contract. It looks like most repairs are only covered for 30 days/1,500 miles. After that it needs to be a listed item and a total breakdown before any coverage comes into force.

241 - 260 of 385 Posts