Focus Fanatics Forum banner

221 - 240 of 385 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey guys, im new to this forum yet i have some serious questions regarding some strange events that happened today and a few times on my 2015 Ford focus DCT. Today i was driving and went WOT to catch up with traffic and when i hit the higher rpm band the car lost all power including on the second gear ,it felt like it never left 1st gear as if it was stuck. i lost power for about a minute before the transmission was able to catch . This also happened to me on the highway before and was during acceleration (moderate) and it took a good minute for the car to get back into gear and it shuddered horribly and i believe the check engine/transmission message came on . what do you guys think about this ? could it be the TCM ? the car only has exactly 4,000 miles.

Yes, get it in right away. Don't make a service appt, just show up.

Only 4k miles on the clock. WOW...

Do communicate with the CSR that requested your information. They have been a great help.

·
Registered
580 Posts
lol today leaving the grocery store, accelerating normally in D when the car lost all power, RPMS went to 5000 and stayed there (with my foot off the pedal). coasted to the side of the road, turned the car off. turned it back on, limped it home, it seemed to shift from first to infinity to grind to 6th.

i'll try and limp it to the dealer tomorrow, hope i make it! computers are awesome.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Dealers
SUBJECT: Customer Satisfaction Program 14M02

February 20, 2015
Certain 2011 through 2015 Model Year Fiesta and 2012 through 2015 Model Year Focus Vehicles Equipped with a DPS6 Automatic Transmission
Transmission Control Module Extended Warranty Coverage
REF: Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 15-0017 – No Start And/Or Transmission Engagement Or Loss Of Power With DTCs U0100, U0101 And/Or U1013
PROGRAM TERMS
Ford is extending the warranty coverage on the DPS6 Automatic Transmission Control Module (TCM) to 10 years of service or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. This extended warranty coverage will address intermittent symptoms of loss of transmission engagement while driving, no-start, or a lack of power. If a vehicle has already exceeded either the time or mileage limits, this coverage will last through September 30, 2015. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.
NOTE: This program DOES NOT apply to vehicles that qualify for repairs under New Vehicle Limited Warranty Powertrain coverage or Emissions Warranty coverage. Repairs for vehicles covered by New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Emissions Warranty should be claimed following Warranty & Policy Manual guidelines. Refer to TSB 15-0017 for repairs covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Emissions Warranty.

Added - see thumbnail picture of the letters in this post:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/8209226-post1.html
This is a good action by Ford to react to a known problem.
many owners have lived in denial and others think the problem is minimal; so I applaud those who persisted and continue to, so that Ford FINALLY owns up to and takes care of its owners in the manner they should expect, as some who spent 20,000 plus in many cases.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i'll try and limp it to the dealer tomorrow, hope i make it! computers are awesome.
Guess I should count my blessings. I have a 2014 with 65k miles, and the computer shifts like a 16 year old girl. What a piece of crap, and it's a shame because the rest of the car is decent.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Guess I should count my blessings. I have a 2014 with 65k miles, and the computer shifts like a 16 year old girl. What a piece of crap, and it's a shame because the rest of the car is decent.
More than decent in my book, I've had a strong of cars over the past 50 years and the focus, when the dct was running right, was a quick, economical, sporty car with ferocious acceleration.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, "when the DCT is running right" it's great, and that's what makes it so frustrating when it doesn't. And coming off a 2011 SES which was a great car, invites negative comparison. #FirstWorldProblems

·
Registered
580 Posts
i've always thought the TCM was off; e.g. in D, i accelerate to ~35mph, ease off the accelerator to maintain that speed, and it immediately shifts up to 5th and now i'm at 1400rpm with barely enough torque to keep the car moving. it's ridiculous. this is why i've mostly been driving in S and shifting it myself for the past 30000mi or so.

i should have checked what code the CEL had thrown yesterday. not that i don't trust my dealer, but just to know.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Try disconnecting the battery for a few to make the car restart the "learning" process. I don't know much about that but I swear my car got used to the way I drive it, which is fairly aggressive. I think the learning process is within the first 1000 miles or so after reconnecting the battery. I could be wrong. But worth a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
426 Posts
Try disconnecting the battery for a few to make the car restart the "learning" process. I don't know much about that but I swear my car got used to the way I drive it, which is fairly aggressive. I think the learning process is within the first 1000 miles or so after reconnecting the battery. I could be wrong. But worth a try

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
I have also heard that you should go on a freeway onramp or something and with your foot flat go through all the gears

Don't know if there is any truth to it

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have also heard that you should go on a freeway onramp or something and with your foot flat go through all the gears

Sounds like clutch scrubbing to me. Where I live there's too much traffic to be able to safely go from 0 to 65 since you need to be moving on the on ramps. :(

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

why in the world should you have to do that to make ANY car run right ?

·
Registered
580 Posts
i've always thought the TCM was off;
so, since i got the car back i have made a point to drive it only in D. let it 'learn.' i've done my normal commute 3 or 4 times now (62mi each way; ~50 at highway speed, 12 in crawling traffic).

i can definitely say that most of the 'stupid' behavior i have been complaining about is gone. the old TCM was put into 'learning' mode several times, none of which fixed the behavior i have been complaining about. dramatically and quickly upshifting, leaving me without power.

yes, it still is a dumb robot trying to figure out when to shift for me. but maybe the robot read a book or something. or a pamphlet. slightly less dumb.

·
Registered
57 Posts
so, since i got the car back i have made a point to drive it only in D. let it 'learn.' i've done my normal commute 3 or 4 times now (62mi each way; ~50 at highway speed, 12 in crawling traffic).

i can definitely say that most of the 'stupid' behavior i have been complaining about is gone. the old TCM was put into 'learning' mode several times, none of which fixed the behavior i have been complaining about. dramatically and quickly upshifting, leaving me without power.

yes, it still is a dumb robot trying to figure out when to shift for me. but maybe the robot read a book or something. or a pamphlet. slightly less dumb.
I would be curious to hear your feedback after a few thousand miles.
I've had my TCM replaced, and the system reverted back to a lot of the behaviours that you just described - the bad ones!

221 - 240 of 385 Posts