Focus Fanatics Forum banner

New Warranty Extension on TCM 14m02

200707 Views 396 Replies 93 Participants Last post by  rschaffter
TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Dealers
SUBJECT: Customer Satisfaction Program 14M02

February 20, 2015
Certain 2011 through 2015 Model Year Fiesta and 2012 through 2015 Model Year Focus Vehicles Equipped with a DPS6 Automatic Transmission
Transmission Control Module Extended Warranty Coverage
REF: Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 15-0017 – No Start And/Or Transmission Engagement Or Loss Of Power With DTCs U0100, U0101 And/Or U1013
PROGRAM TERMS
Ford is extending the warranty coverage on the DPS6 Automatic Transmission Control Module (TCM) to 10 years of service or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. This extended warranty coverage will address intermittent symptoms of loss of transmission engagement while driving, no-start, or a lack of power. If a vehicle has already exceeded either the time or mileage limits, this coverage will last through September 30, 2015. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.
NOTE: This program DOES NOT apply to vehicles that qualify for repairs under New Vehicle Limited Warranty Powertrain coverage or Emissions Warranty coverage. Repairs for vehicles covered by New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Emissions Warranty should be claimed following Warranty & Policy Manual guidelines. Refer to TSB 15-0017 for repairs covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Emissions Warranty.

Added - see thumbnail picture of the letters in this post:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/8209226-post1.html
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TCM coverage extension - NOT a change yet to the Clutch/seals/programming extension to cover more models.
They cover the clutch stuff in the paperwork with this too but it is the same as before.

I got a spreadsheet with it too that had 49 repairs with mileage and the average failure was about 90000. The lowest having 60000. Highest 130000 miles. None except the one below 75000.

· Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Yeah I know about 14m01 guys, thanks.. lucky me though... my car is not sending the "right" code for it to be covered under this. They are telling me the code is sending a "friction" warning on the clutch which they say is not the same as the "shudder" warranty. I feel like RUSS MILNE is screwing me over. [:(!]
I'd go to another dealer. You dont have to go where you bought your car.

· Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Please, everyone go here and look into this class action lawsuit. Search the internet for any other avenue towards holding Ford responsible for our misery. We ALL deserve compensation for the lies, half truths and run around we have been given. MOST of us are STUCK with these crap-mobiles from Ford and they need to be held responsible.

Ford Fiesta and Focus Transmission Lawsuit Filed After Complaints | CarComplaints.com
Class action lawsuits rarely help people. You would be better served by filing a complaint with the NHTSA if you are in the US.

Class action lawsuits take forever to resolve, by the time if any settlement is made you will be in a different car or may get back pennies on the dollar in back compensation.

I was part of a class suit dealing with a defective radiator part on the 2005-2008 Nissan xterra that would allow antifreeze to mix with transmission fluid and ruin the transmission in minutes of the leak starting. By the time the suit was settled the vast majority of people were well passed the warranty extension the settlement provided. They also never acknowledged a simple fix that would bypass the defective part that took all of 5 minutes to do. Basically you simply bypassed the tube inside the radiator that would crack and allow the fluids to mix. The design was not even necessary for normal operation. I had mine that way for several years..

· Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I have received a substantial monetary settlement from another class action lawsuit. (not automotive) so your advice of shying away from such things is silly. If you have a serious complaint/case it ALWAYS worth it. Settlement or no, you have made yourself heard. I guess if you really just want to walk around with the attitude that "This wont work" then more power to you.

On a more positive note THANK you for the NHTSA suggestion .. I should have had that link in my other posts. Ill be making another posts to hopefully get people involved. Have a Good day!
Go ahead and join the suit, I am just saying that most are of the opinion that the only people that benefit from them are the lawyers. In the 4 or 5 I have been in, I got a warranty extension that I was already well beyond, a $2 headset for a verizon suit about a phone headset port, a 50 cent check for a PC memory suit, and a new charger for a phone that I was long rid of. Granted these are smaller suits on an individual basis(except for the $3k-4k possible cost for the Nissan suit). But the slice of the settlement pie is generally miniscule to the individual.

Good luck, I hope it pans out for you. I think of the NHTSA gets enough ammo to go after Ford you will get a much better resolution overall.

· Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Although reading the horror stories on the internet about my car, I have still enjoyed driving it..by myself. I try to spare myself the embarrassment of friends hearing the girding shifts or the sensation of what feels like a 90's cab ride.
I had a VERY similar experience to post #31. I have an SE with 130,112 miles on it (a miracle) my "Transmission Malfunction" "Service Now" light and incessant beeping came on in my car this afternoon. Pulled over, let the car sit a minute, restarted, no light. Drove 30 more seconds, the light came back on. I spoke with a ford representative TWO WEEKS AGO, and was not informed of recall 14M02, or that it even existed. She said there was nothing more recent than the 14M01. After this incident this afternoon I have now discovered recall 14M02. My main concern is that when I enter my VIN to the ford website it only pulls up recall 14M01. I have a 2012 Focus SE. Is there any way mine is not covered by the recall? Please help, I have paid my car off, and would hate to sink any more money in it to get it up to par.
Its not a recall, its an extension on the warranty. You should be covered.

· Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
You're wasting your time folks and the reps here just run you in a circular pattern......
I know youre pissed and stuff, but there is no reason to spam the same exact verbiage on every single post you can find. Everyone here knows about the shortcomings of the DCT and we all have to deal with the problem when/if it arrises.

Thanks.

· Registered
474 Posts
You just said on another thread your fleet has no issues so why are you here defending them? That might be a better question. Maybe those with issues don't need to hear you telling them that they are the exception.

Better yet it's not spam when they are on different threads. Worried that people might hear about a real case of FORD not acting in good faith instead of listening to you b.s. (ing) us that you have a fleet with over 100,000 miles on them. What division of FORD do you work for?

Slap a few odometer pictures here and maybe prove it isn't one car's odometer and maybe you'll be believable. I could name the rep who tried to help me but I don't want to embarrass her.
You know what? Bleep you. I dont have to prove anything to you. Dont believe it, then dont believe it. This is my first Ford car and I have been in the same IT job for 23 years IN THE MEDICAL FIELD.

EDIT: And if I worked for Ford and knew about these issues WHY WOULD I BUY ONE? Eh? Look around I have many posts with pictures of my car.

· Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
View this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHXelGqmK1M

The better question is they knew the issue in 2011 and continue to install this transmission for the next 4 years. Then the bean counters play the odds and hope they can beat them and not have to make too many repairs. That's why they keep extending the warranty

14m01 and 14m02. wait long enough and there will be 14mo3.
How are they avoiding repairs by extending the warranty? Arent they adding repairs?

· Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
You just said on another thread your fleet has no issues so why are you here defending them? That might be a better question. Maybe those with issues don't need to hear you telling them that they are the exception.
Where exactly did I defend Ford? I just gave you the numbers I got from my Fleet manager who passes along the Ford notices to me as he gets them because he knows I own one. The TCM issue is just much less of an occurrence in the fleet.

Again sucks you have issues, but giving the owners here a bunch of crap/posting the same stuff in multiple threads because you are pissed is wrong. I saw it once and I gave its due value.

· Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
SNIP....

RANT OVER!!!

You are one angry person, instead of all this venom poisoning your life, just get rid of the thing. I know it may be expensive but the way you put it it seems to be your only choice left. Scream at us all you want, blame the people here all you want, believe want you want. But it wouldnt hurt my feelings if you got banned.

We ALL know about the DCT issues, there are THOUSANDS of posts about it but you spewing over and over and over isnt doing anyone any good.

Have a nice day and get yourself together, a car simply isnt worth all this turmoil.

http://elliott.org/company-contacts/ford/

· Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
There's some extra info. for you from BeastMD, I just posted a link for you in the thread above this one. The early info. on a FSA reprogramming the system for added TCM warnings/codes is too late to help you avoid the hassle you experienced, but it will help many in the future. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/594257-field-service-action-15b22.html

Many here including myself have been "helping out" with the TCM problems that often don't show a code, shared info. here identified typical situations where the TCM was suspect LONG before most Dealers had any info. on the possibility at all. See "parking aid malfunction" threads for some examples.

My "Mod" functions on the Site (which is not associated with Ford) usually are no more onerous than moving threads to the best areas for help or making threads for "off topic" posts so they can also get more attention. Trying to help keep the peace when discussions/arguments cross over to personal attacks is the hardest part of the job to attempt to do judiciously with minimal interference.

Personal posts cover a wide range, but I started posting here primarily with tech. help and continue to "focus" on that when I can.

You seem shocked that many find this as their first contact point for any Ford assistance not directly from the first Dealer they go to. No point debating that or the reasons for it, it's simply a fact you can see throughout the MkIII sections in particular.

I usually leave suggestions to go outside of the Ford Warranty/special consideration/unusual issue system to others, since the quickest resolutions most often come while working within that system. Extreme cases will end up there, but pushing to go there early simply cuts off options for an easier solution by throwing the problems into the "legal" arena. Once the legal dept. has to approve any actions, little happens fast.

Some VERY odd/difficult situations found resolutions when the right reps/dealers got involved, including some that looked like no solution short of long litigation would help.
Your forgot to mention you have the patience of a saint![cheers]

· Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Glad you found a deal that worked out for you - Really.

My first new car was a nightmare for problems, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Help through here is admittedly limited, Ford reps are facilitators not decision makers and the first level they can reach for many issues is the same anyone can also get in contact with through the phone system.

They do have some access above that level and to some other resources, but it's not wide open to higher levels. A bit more than the consumer or dealer can reach directly though, so sometimes helpful.

And for many seen here, this contact is the first they have for any help at all. The "impersonal internet" is just a keystroke away and it seems less intimidating than picking up a phone & waiting for help. Even see folks with typical emergencies (lost key, dead battery etc.) typing in here first, just to get the numbers for help they didn't leave in the car for some reason.

Often the Forum is good for personal contact & ideas from others - a shout out to anyone listening who might be able to help with info./suggestions/sympathy - or just a way to feel heard.

Like ProfPinky above, all we can do is hear him out & hope his latest problem is resolved quickly.

On the good side, sometimes the info. here really helps. Regularly steer people who think they're out of luck to one of the extended warranty (or even std. warranty they didn't know about) items with detailed info. in threads here. TCM under the emissions warranty info. saved a few before the extension who had ben told or assumed they were out of luck.

One just yesterday signed on & posted in another section, recently bought a '12 - turned down extended warranty - and when it started to give trouble he thought all would be on his nickel. Moved his thread from Engine & Trans Swap (maybe he thought J/Y was his only option) to here where he could read all the extended warranty info.. Better than nothing, bet he's still covered.

Cheers
And not to toot my own horn or anything, this thread helped a few people get their money back after they paid out of pocket to get the TCM replaced. So this post alone helped people get a couple thousand back(or close to it)...

· Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Thanks. I love the new Mazda. My point about here was that this is a great site and the Regional Manager's boss is very aware of it and FORD SHOULD take it seriously and NOT demean it by saying it is unauthorized. These are real people with real issues.

My direct point is how FORD is hypocritical. They say this place is unauthorized then have their reps working it and more often than not...not being able to resolve anything more than what a customer can do on their own by calling the 800 number themselves.

I have a case pending with the BBB Autoline and they want to "talk" to me about a resolution. The car is gone...traded it in. I'm sure they now want to put a new TCM in. Screw them. That should have been offered and done 2 months ago.

Glad I am done with FORD forever.
Happy you did it. It was really not worth all the stress it seemed to be causing you.

· Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
The 2015's havent been available for long enough. You very well may seem them appear here more and more as time goes by. Most of the complaints I have seen here seem to be after some bit of mileage has been put on the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts