Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2001 ZTS (DOHC, mtx) with 150k miles. I've spent hours getting up to speed on these vehicles on the board and in the Haynes book, but I could use a little help with my particular issues.

1. Idle: The car stalls/dies unless given gas. The engine sounds great, the idle is just too low. I understand that there is no adjuster screw, and my main suspect is a vacuum hose leak. I haven't found a thread on the board with these symptoms, so if anyone has dealt with this, let me know.

2. Motor Mounts: Something is up with my engine mounts, when I rev the car up, the engine looks like its trying to jump out of the engine bay. I don't think the passenger side mount has burst (not 100% on that). I believe the car has 3 mounts total (pass/driver + dogbone rear), I'm thinking that the dogbone could be the issue, but again I'm not sure. Any thoughts on that would also be helpful.

I'm gathering parts to do all of the standard stuff: plugs, fluids, pads, valve cover gasket, and I'm willing to do the timing belt. The thing is, the engine runs smooth and doesn't throw any codes, so I don't want to fiddle with anything beyond what is necessary, at least until I get a better feel for the car and have more time on my hands.

On a side note, I gotta say that transverse mounted 4-cylinder engines are quite the spectacle. Coming from a V8 with a studio-apartment sized engine bay, the difference is vast. What do you mean the waterpump is on the side???

Anyhow, I've already learned a bunch of Focus know-how from the board, you all do a great job.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

-Ben

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Just picked up a 2001 ZTS (DOHC, mtx) with 150k miles. I've spent hours getting up to speed on these vehicles on the board and in the Haynes book, but I could use a little help with my particular issues.

1. Idle: The car stalls/dies unless given gas. The engine sounds great, the idle is just too low. I understand that there is no adjuster screw, and my main suspect is a vacuum hose leak. I haven't found a thread on the board with these symptoms, so if anyone has dealt with this, let me know.

2. Motor Mounts: Something is up with my engine mounts, when I rev the car up, the engine looks like its trying to jump out of the engine bay. I don't think the passenger side mount has burst (not 100% on that). I believe the car has 3 mounts total (pass/driver + dogbone rear), I'm thinking that the dogbone could be the issue, but again I'm not sure. Any thoughts on that would also be helpful.

I'm gathering parts to do all of the standard stuff: plugs, fluids, pads, valve cover gasket, and I'm willing to do the timing belt. The thing is, the engine runs smooth and doesn't throw any codes, so I don't want to fiddle with anything beyond what is necessary, at least until I get a better feel for the car and have more time on my hands.

On a side note, I gotta say that transverse mounted 4-cylinder engines are quite the spectacle. Coming from a V8 with a studio-apartment sized engine bay, the difference is vast. What do you mean the waterpump is on the side???

Anyhow, I've already learned a bunch of Focus know-how from the board, you all do a great job.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

-Ben
Hey Ben, good choice on a ride. OK first. The idle problems are usually related to the PCV , and in particular the hose that makes a 90* turn towards the intake manifold. Follow the hoses from the front of the engine, right behind the exhaust towards the right side. You will see the PCV valve, it connects to a rubber hose, then turns left and connects to a hard tube that goes under the coil pack. Then turns back into a rubber hose. That hose makes the 90 towards the intake. If it isnt cracked, feel the hose , its probably very soft. And it will suck itself shut during idle. The other item could be the IAC. (idle air circuit) valve. It is up under the intake manifold. Got to get it from under neath . Remove it and clean it. Or replace.

2. Motor mounts. You are correct, 3 mounts, The dog bone is very common, for the clunking noise. I have had a passenger side mount drive me crazy , when i first bought my car. I inspected it several times, it appeared good. Until I removed it. It fell apart in 2 pieces. If in doubt. Replace all 3.

3. 150k , it wouldnt hurt to get the timing belt out of the way. These are not that hard to do. Good how to`s on FF. You should replace the water pump, and all related idler pulley`s and tensioners. Both serpentine, and timing.

and of course keep us up to date. Let us know if we can help. Take Care.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a rough idle when stopped also.. Need a new vacuum hose.. Hoping thats whats causing my egr sensor to show trouble codes..
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Rough idle:
Check pcv hose behind engine first.....common to collapse at the bend.
Have to pull the Focus "reach around" to find it.
pcv valve itself.
Try these two.
My EGR code was caused by the bottom screw on the EGR valve itself not being installed.
Resulted in a lawn mower sounding leak and threw codes:
p0171
Corrected with pcv tube and valve
And
p1406
These both became apparent after install of long tune 4-2-1 header.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brought my zts to the dealer last mnth for a cracked hose.. They just cut it in half and capped it.. Gonna do it myself next weekend.. wanna see a diagram if I can before I get in there and mess with things though.. I'll check that screw while I'm under there now that you mention it though..

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Brought my zts to the dealer last mnth for a cracked hose.. They just cut it in half and capped it.. Gonna do it myself next weekend.. wanna see a diagram if I can before I get in there and mess with things though.. I'll check that screw while I'm under there now that you mention it though..
Its more like a NUT that screws up into the EGR valve.
Do you know what your CEL codes are?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Off the top of my head I dont but it says my egr isnt operating properly and theres somethin about the missing hose.. Theres only two that come up everytime.. But i'm wondering because between 40-45 it stutters like I'm about to run out of fuel but after 45 it runs smooth again..
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
5 Posts
Btw I went to a used dealer and I found the junkyard they get their parts from.. Needless to say they're not going to do anymore repairs..
Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 9 of 9 Posts