now im putting a sub soon and i would like to make my own trunk flooring
i will put a lifted edge so it can go flush with the spare
and put hinges so i can have easy access to my spare and other

my question is what can i make this out of
i want strength and lightweight

·
Registered
16 Posts
well MDF is strong but not to light it is cheap and easy to work with 1/4" would be to bad on wait. the more expensive way to go would be have Tap Plastics custom fab it for ya. or best idea yet is build or platform with pine 1x1 and put a realy thin piece of board on it (like the stuff on the back of cabinets its dark brown and kinda shiny)

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I had a similar problem when I put some foam insulation under the spare. To make the outer edges level with the increased height of the tire, I used more of the foam. This is "safety-mat" foam available many places. It is light, strong, and about 1/2" thick. You can glue it together if you need a thicker layer, or glue more on the edges to make it wider.

Why the hinge? Sounds like extra complication for an easy job....

·
Registered
146 Posts
check out my post in the car audio mods "Custom made sub box" i made a sub box for my sedan i think you might like it and it might give you some ideas

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a similar problem when I put some foam insulation under the spare. To make the outer edges level with the increased height of the tire, I used more of the foam. This is "safety-mat" foam available many places. It is light, strong, and about 1/2" thick. You can glue it together if you need a thicker layer, or glue more on the edges to make it wider.

Why the hinge? Sounds like extra complication for an easy job....

i like the other guys trunk with the 2 green fuzion sub set up
but i only have 1 sub(enough for me)
so the setup will look wierd
plus im going for sound
and wood is the best for sound in box making

as for the trunk i like ^^^^this guys idea
but i just need to know 2 things

1. does this stay in place(tight fit)with no movement whats soever?
2.what exactly did u use for the material in making this
board? carpet?

thanks

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
That setup is made from foam floor mats...sometimes called "safety mats". You can find them at Home Depot, Sams, Harbor Freight, other places. Many different colors are available.....they snap together. About $8 for four.

If you want to make a stronger mat, glue the edges. The surface texture of the foam keeps it from sliding around.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I just used 3/4' mdf and made an elevated 2 piece floor. Then I carpeted each piece. So if I need my spare I just take out sub box, the remove the two panels. Looks really good and wasn't too hard. Just alot of cut, then check. You can just buy a full sheet, and trace your carpet piece onto the wood and jig saw it out. Then cut straight down the middle. I also put 2x4's under so it is elevated.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was thinkin about doin the mdf trunk
but i thought it might be expensive

plus i dont have cutting tools
any ideas on that

about how much did it cost for the mdf all together for u

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Well a full sheet is around 20 bucks and the carpet I got at autozone for 10 bucks so around 30. Pretty cheap for how good it turned out.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sweet looks like im goin that route
ima get a darker carpet though

thanks for the help focusboy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts