Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2002 Sonic Blue SVT, and have a few questions I was hoping to have answered.

1) I've read up a lot on this vehicle and it's typical issues and problems, which led me to my first question, how can I tell if the timing belt is in need of replacement?

2) I am getting a rough acceleration (smooth throughout the transmission, but rough through the suspension) and have noticed my front end seems to sit approx a quarter inch lower on the front right? Could this be be the control arm or CV?

3) Finally, I am getting some backfire upon hitting 4000+ rpms and when letting off the throttle, is this normal for the performance engines?

Thanks for the time and any information!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moving this to General Tech Chat because it contains repair questions.

Post again in the SVT section for general advice/comments on the SVT's, this'll be quicker for the repair questions.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
1) Pull the timing belt cover off and inspect the belt for any cracks, missing teeth and/or, fraying.

2) Inspect the Transmission mount(referred to as the Dogbone mount)/also, it sounds more like a blown strut as far as the height is concerned.

3) Check your plugs, plug wires(use a cheap DMM aka digital multimeter set to ohms-any reading above 10k ohms is bad), coil pigtail(for cracked or, pulled wires)pull the coil and look for cracks on all sides and the bottom as well.

Post results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the poimters! Will have the car up tomorrow for my overview and inspection, also will post my findings after doing so! Thanks for the directionals!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Consider miles on the car & any evidence of timing belt change in deciding whether to service it. Time is a factor as well.

These can go 100,000 before replacement, impressive when I can remember 30,000 replacement intervals. Pushing to 120,000 the manual might say is OK seems to be pushing it as they're getting old by now (past 10 yrs) and there are enough reports of them going at this kind of mileage recently (old, right?) that I wouldn't trust it.

It's not fun to hear of a new purchase SVT with a belt that goes before the new owner gets this service done, valve replacement isn't cheap/easy.

No receipts? Don't trust it's been done.

(Sonic Blue '02 looks great IMHO)

Cheers

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
In short, change the belt if you don't know when it was done or it bends every valve in it when it does jump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts