Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so a little about me; i'm in Los Angeles. Previous car I had was a 95' Acura Integra Rs'. I was into the whole JDM scene for a while but finally needed a sedan so sold my teggy and I purchased an automatic Oxford white 2000 Ford Focus Lx 112,500k miles about 3 weeks ago.

Only changes I've done is tints and connected a Infinity Basslink subwoofer.

The only con the car had with the car is that the fan that shoots AC is always on! The switch is at 0 which is off. What could be the problem? How do I fix it? Any help for all my problems is very much appreciated.

Generally the car has been pretty good, till last couple of days.
First problem I encountered was when I traveled to Pomona which is maybe about 40-50 miles away. Since I had just gottened my tints installed, I had to keep the windows up, so I had AC on the whole trip. Before arriving to my destination there was probably about 3 or 4 hills that were very distant. When I was probably on the 2nd hill. I noticed that the tempeture needle started rising really fast. Although it did not reach the red line I still managed to pull over right away; turned off AC. I panicked so I turned off the car for about 10 min. Then I drove away with needle in the mid range and minutes later the needle started rising. I arrived at my dstination and searched for parking. When I put the car in reverse the needle actually went into red line for about 5-10 seconds. I found parking and turned it off. 3 hours later I did add water to the reserve tank and has been running fine since then. My question is why did it start to over heat? I had driven 30-35 miles with AC straight before. Was it the huge hills with AC on? What do guys suggest I do?

Second, I installed my subwoofer with built in amp sunday. I was driving around with AC off and radio on. I came to a red light and out of no where, my car stalled! I immidiately put it in park and turned on the car. It almost hesitated but turned on. I drove away. I took it back to place where i got the powered subwoofer installed but they showed me that it wasn't draining my battery.

Just today when I was leaving school, I made a right turn and it wanted to turn off again. Lights dimmed and power steering went out. I accelarated and it stood on. The only thing I wondered was if it had to do with the defroster being on? Since its raining my car fogged up so i had to turn it on.

My question is, why is did the car shut off? what should I look for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
The overheating could be a bad thermostat, fairly common on the 2000-04 Foci. As for the stalling and dying, I would get Your alternator tested, clean Your battery terminal connections, and get it checked out while You're at it.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The only con the car had with the car is that the fan that shoots AC is always on! The switch is at 0 which is off. What could be the problem? How do I fix it? Any help for all my problems is very much appreciated.
I'd start by looking at the HVAC switch. Pop off the radio bezel and pull it out to see if there is a bad wire, a short or anything like that.

Generally the car has been pretty good, till last couple of days.
First problem I encountered was when I traveled to Pomona which is maybe about 40-50 miles away. Since I had just gottened my tints installed, I had to keep the windows up, so I had AC on the whole trip. Before arriving to my destination there was probably about 3 or 4 hills that were very distant. When I was probably on the 2nd hill. I noticed that the tempeture needle started rising really fast. Although it did not reach the red line I still managed to pull over right away; turned off AC. I panicked so I turned off the car for about 10 min. Then I drove away with needle in the mid range and minutes later the needle started rising. I arrived at my dstination and searched for parking. When I put the car in reverse the needle actually went into red line for about 5-10 seconds. I found parking and turned it off. 3 hours later I did add water to the reserve tank and has been running fine since then. My question is why did it start to over heat? I had driven 30-35 miles with AC straight before. Was it the huge hills with AC on? What do guys suggest I do?
Lots of things can make a car over heat, but having the AC on and it still over heating leads me to believe there might be an issue with your highspeed fan resistor (common issue). Seeing as how both fans should have been running on full with your AC on, that would be a good place to start looking.

Second, I installed my subwoofer with built in amp sunday. I was driving around with AC off and radio on. I came to a red light and out of no where, my car stalled! I immidiately put it in park and turned on the car. It almost hesitated but turned on. I drove away. I took it back to place where i got the powered subwoofer installed but they showed me that it wasn't draining my battery.

Just today when I was leaving school, I made a right turn and it wanted to turn off again. Lights dimmed and power steering went out. I accelarated and it stood on. The only thing I wondered was if it had to do with the defroster being on? Since its raining my car fogged up so i had to turn it on.

My question is, why is did the car shut off? what should I look for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
The voltage regulators on these cars are known issues. When the car died, did your battery light come on? You can put your car into diagnostic mode to make sure you are getting the correct voltage. With the car off, hold down your trip reset. Start the car and continue holding the button until you see the odometer read "gauge test" and your needles sweep side to side. Then you can tap the trip reset to cycle through options until you can see your battery voltage. It should read around 14.

The valve cover gaskets are also common issues. If the cover is leaking oil into your plugs you will stall coming up to lights. Pull your plugs to see if they have oil on them.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
And, welcome. Check out the search feature, it can be your best friend for common issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The overheating could be a bad thermostat, fairly common on the 2000-04 Foci. As for the stalling and dying, I would get Your alternator tested, clean Your battery terminal connections, and get it checked out while You're at it.
I believe the previous owner got the thermostat replaced last around March or April. He gave me all his receipts. & im going to look up some research on testing out my alternator. So far the car hasn't stalled on me. I just found it really stranged that an automatic would stall? lol [dunno]

& sorry for the lagg I dont have internet access at home so I use computers at my college [8]
But thanks for your input man! [8)]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd start by looking at the HVAC switch. Pop off the radio bezel and pull it out to see if there is a bad wire, a short or anything like that.

Lots of things can make a car over heat, but having the AC on and it still over heating leads me to believe there might be an issue with your highspeed fan resistor (common issue). Seeing as how both fans should have been running on full with your AC on, that would be a good place to start looking.

The voltage regulators on these cars are known issues. When the car died, did your battery light come on? You can put your car into diagnostic mode to make sure you are getting the correct voltage. With the car off, hold down your trip reset. Start the car and continue holding the button until you see the odometer read "gauge test" and your needles sweep side to side. Then you can tap the trip reset to cycle through options until you can see your battery voltage. It should read around 14.

The valve cover gaskets are also common issues. If the cover is leaking oil into your plugs you will stall coming up to lights. Pull your plugs to see if they have oil on them.
First off, thanks for advice.

The other day I pulled out the switch that directs the fan from 0-4 & I looked inside but couldn't see any abnormalities. Im gonna have to do what your suggesting. Maybe i'll find a short because sometimes I forcefully put the switch below 0 and it'll stop. So what do you think that means?

Once the car started overheating I pulled over and turned off the AC and it cooled down. But i'll look into the highspeed fan resistor & see if I can diagnose my problem.

When the car died, everything turned off and check engine light came on but once I turned on the car all the lights went away. I'm not sure if it'll have to do with voltage because sometimes at stops I do feel the car idleing? [screwy]

Thanks again "benkap" !

·
Registered
179 Posts
ya for the over heating i would get new fan resistor!! my car started to over heat at low speeds and idle turn ac on and BAM, car cooled down! turned out the resister went bad and melted my connector to so replaced both and BAM, no overheat lol!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya for the over heating i would get new fan resistor!! my car started to over heat at low speeds and idle turn ac on and BAM, car cooled down! turned out the resister went bad and melted my connector to so replaced both and BAM, no overheat lol!
Damn I need to check out that fan resistor, getting me worried and doubting reliabilty on the focus [unsure]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Btw I forgot to mention one other worry about my car. The reserve tank for antifreeze/ water has a lot of orange residue?? what does that mean? There's also a lot of rust on the motor mount that is right next to it! It worries me but so far the focus hasn't overheated or anything. I did add water to the tank last week and I checked it yesterday but idk what's going on because I keep having to add water? I see no leaks so what's going on? | :

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Keep your eye on your head gasket.

The residue in the overflow might be rust from someone adding water only to the system over and over because the car kept loosing coolant. If you can't find anywhere for it to be going, it could be coming out of your tailpipe as steam.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Btw I forgot to mention one other worry about my car. The reserve tank for antifreeze/ water has a lot of orange residue?? what does that mean? There's also a lot of rust on the motor mount that is right next to it! It worries me but so far the focus hasn't overheated or anything. I did add water to the tank last week and I checked it yesterday but idk what's going on because I keep having to add water? I see no leaks so what's going on? | :
Don't add water ! i suggest you drain the whole system its easy, and just refill it with just antifreeze 50/50

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Keep your eye on your head gasket.

The residue in the overflow might be rust from someone adding water only to the system over and over because the car kept loosing coolant. If you can't find anywhere for it to be going, it could be coming out of your tailpipe as steam.

you know what I did notice a small leak of water beneath my muffler when i parked & stepped out for 30 min. I came back and i saw it but didn't think much of it. IM gonna buy some anti freeze tomorrow to pour in because today it wanted to overheat at a drive thru when i was waiting. ) :

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't add water ! i suggest you drain the whole system its easy, and just refill it with just antifreeze 50/50

I'm in Lincoln heights dude! IM always going to the highland park theater lol.
Damn i need to do that!! How do i drain it?
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
438 Posts
Check the underside of the resevoir. One of mine had some cracks there and would leak a few drips.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts