Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And ive already have a question for yall, not the biggest fan of fords. But under circumstance i ended buying a 2009 focus se seden ( 5 spd of course), and in all truth really enjoying driving it. Anyways ive been looking around, found fswerks and top speed and pleased to see that the focus is supported by many aftermarket parts. But from what ive seen no one runs any more than 250hp, with the turbo kits available i assume (with forged internals) you can make much more. But how much can tranmission handle? Can't find uprgraded transmission parts, is this why?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Clutch & LSD is all it needs tranny wise to take more, 250 is a common base level for a turbo car because that won't need supporting mods (engine internal or otherwise).

Forced induction section has more answers, this'll eventually get moved there if you don't get many answers here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So 350+hp would be safe to run on the stock transmission gears with lsd and a 3puck clutch? I dont plan on anymore, just testing the waters. I'm used to subarus, where anymore than 300 would snap first gear like a twig.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The LSD is the important part, hook up too well & you can put a spider gear through the case otherwise (possibility).

I'll throw this in the forced induction section, not as active but you'll see the Turbo owners in there.

·
Registered
403 Posts
A few guys are running 500+. Hopefully one of them will chime in. 250wtq is the safe limit. After that, rods start to go. Rods, Pistons, stock head and a Gt2871rs should be good for what you are looking for. I would figure on around 10k after all is said and done. I'm already around 7k and have done all the installs myself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'd like to make close to 350whp, dont need anymore. With fswerks pistons, cosworth rods. Maybe even sleeve the block if its necessary. Where can you find heads though? I heard something about swapping the 2.3 head on there, is there any benefit or do they have the same power rating? I have the 2.0L Duratec.

·
Registered
403 Posts
i'd like to make close to 350whp, dont need anymore. With fswerks pistons, cosworth rods. Maybe even sleeve the block if its necessary. Where can you find heads though? I heard something about swapping the 2.3 head on there, is there any benefit or do they have the same power rating? I have the 2.0L Duratec.
You don't need to sleeve the block. The 2.3 head will flow better than the 2.0. Massive sells ported heads on their site. If you want the FSWERKS kit, I would give them a call.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the block closed deck? I was planning on a custom turbo setup, i feel like i could do it cheaper than an fswerks kit. Although from what i heard its a reliable kit. Maybe ill keep it N/A, 2.3 head, crower cams etc. Sorry to ask so many questions, again im new to the focus, its a diffrent world compared to the impreza.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Is the block closed deck? I was planning on a custom turbo setup, i feel like i could do it cheaper than an fswerks kit. Although from what i heard its a reliable kit. Maybe ill keep it N/A, 2.3 head, crower cams etc. Sorry to ask so many questions, again im new to the focus, its a diffrent world compared to the impreza.
The only way you will get 350whp is with boost and at least a built bottom end or a V8 swap. Keep in mind, you are modding a 4 banger setup strictly as an a-b. N/A usually ends up being around the same monetary investment with less power by the time you are done. You need to figure out what you want and how much you want/are willing to spend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Obviously 350whp is close to impossible n/a, but maximum power gain while keeping n/a? Ive known non-vtec civics to make close to 250 with cams and ported heads on a b20. I assume i thats the maximum for an non-turbo I4. But my budget atm is strict, i'll probably start of with cat-back and and cai. If i do go turbo i dont want to waste money on 4-1 headers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only way you will get 350whp is with boost and at least a built bottom end or a V8 swap. Keep in mind, you are modding a 4 banger setup strictly as an a-b. N/A usually ends up being around the same monetary investment with less power by the time you are done. You need to figure out what you want and how much you want/are willing to spend.
Ive known civics to make close to 230whp with ported heads and cams on the b20, i assume thats the maximum for an n/a I4. But a v8 swap is out of the question, too much torque on a fwd for me. Are there v6 swaps out there? But your right, atm i have no clue to what gains i want, but i like having options.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
V8 swaps are RWD conversions, no space for a FWD V8.

V6 - a few done, forced induction is a quicker/easier route to more power.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts