Please help me understand this "learning" transmission. It's shift differently from any other vechile I've ever had. Is there a way to get rid of the lag in stand still accelaration?
The PowerShift 6 Speed Transmission is designed to provide the feel and efficiency of a manual transmission with the easy driving of an automatic. The PowerShift transmission automatically engages the next gear in anticipation of the shift, providing seamless shifting. It also has neutral idling, which disengages the transmission when sitting at idle, and helps to maximize fuel efficiency.Please help me understand this "learning" transmission. It's shift differently from any other vechile I've ever had. Is there a way to get rid of the lag in stand still accelaration?
The DCT "gearbox" is in 1st while in 'D' and not moving.Moved to the MkIII section from "Tuning Chat"
As that description implied, it's disengaged in neutral at a full stop. Prev. fluid drive automatics you're used to are in gear & trying to move in that situation. Press the pedal to accelerate & it needs to shift & engage the clutch to move.
Now, in November, my transmission runs like a Swiss watch 85% of the time, actually, it may be almost 90% of the time.Here's my problem, my trans about 65% of the time, runs like a Swiss watch. The other 35% of the time, I get a serious shudder. I want to take in in, but I don't want the "Swiss watch" trans when they check it out.
I got mine as a former "corporate priced" rental with barely 18k on it, 1 year old. 3rd day I had it it had what I like to call "complete loss of power to the wheels event" while going uphill on my busy morning commute... Even though I got it off a used car lot, the local dealer took good care of me and had mine fixed in a couple of days, doing the complete TSB available in the spring... Now 12k later, I'm getting some clutch chatter and slippage again I think. Before this, it was a little "clunky" shifting into 3rd I believe... I'm just glad the dealer has taken care of me, it looks like it needs to be serviced again... I even have come from driving manuals and was easy with the throttle on/off transitions... hmmm, I'm not real happy it's acting up, but different this time.At the end of August I posted this:
Now, in November, my transmission runs like a Swiss watch 85% of the time, actually, it may be almost 90% of the time.
A little background info on my Focus:
She was a rental car. Bought her with 38,900 miles. So I'm guessing that of all the people who rented this car, most of them, if even any, had no clue what an auto DCT is. So the DCT probably had a horrible break in period.
So my question is.....
Even after all those miles, and poor driving habits by all those rental drivers, can and is this transmission re-learning how to operate? Because the longer I've had her, the better the DCT shifts, and the shuddering has gotten less a lot frequent and less harsh.
BTW, I have put 6700 miles on her since I bought her.
Exactly... even then you can get caught letting off the throttle right when it wants to shift as well, leading to some harsh shifts... it's tough to explain to those who have never driven manual but yes, steady and decisive throttle with minimal on/off transitions is the best wording to summarize.I bought a 2014 titanium DCT, with 3500 miles, and the car has the Injected Engineering tune. I have put about 400 miles on the car. At this point, it runs beautifully. So far I think the two most important things are: 1) The right foot should make complete and total contact with the accelerator. 2) when starting up from a stop, drive the car decisively.
Think about it this way, when driving a manual transmission, once you slip the clutch, and put the car into gear, you have to apply the gas and get going. Same exact reasoning with the DCT. And by driving decisively, I don't mean that you have to shove the accelerator to the floor. saying it another way, don't feather the gas.