Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the site and have just recently (yesterday) purchased a used 2001 Focus. I have been inspecting the car and found a module loosely mounted in the fuse access area to the left of the steering wheel and the module was titled "Ford Vehicle Security System". I would normally think this is a module for keyless entry, but I was told it didnt have it and I have no remotes. Does anybody know what this is for??

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
If your car has Power locks then it may have keyless entry but sometime in its life both Remotes were lost and someone had that installed

is there any part numbers/or even to that case any numbers period.. also is it possible to get a picture of the module itself.. i have 3 modules of my own from past cars and i could tell you there options and what they can control...
the only time a module is loosely fitted is when someone gets a lazy mechanic to install one of them.. the Focuses primary Anti Theft system is actually built into the computer itself

the only way i see that module is there is if someone has bypassed the built in PATS Chip reader and installed a second parallel ignition kill module

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have any power locks. Also there is a wire disconnected as shown in the image in the corner of the box, where does this go to?

Back Side

I am assuming it might be an OE part that was installed later by a novice. Lots of electrical tape and an in-line fuse; there are also two micro-switches somewhat near it - one of them has an LED.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Yea it sounds like it may have been an amature install they gave up on.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Thats Fords Standalone alarm system.. that has been in the car since day 1 from the date code on the sticker 2/27/01

that single standalone wire is actually its antenna

from the way I'm reading it your car has that as an actual break in alarm, any door with Siren (it doesn't beep the horn) and as I though it does disable the starter circuit.. the LED is a Notification if its armed or not... im not sure if that one has a second LED for Bypass

Im gunna read up on the full functionality of that system, and I have a feeling the remotes to that are lost so basically that unit is useless and most likely be a pain in the ass if you ever change your battery

hrmm I wonder if your car is so stock basic that it doesn't even have the PATS disabler on it either o_O its weird I've never seen or heard of a parallel alarm system run on a vehicle that is supposed to have one built into the car

the good thing about it is if you ever get another car alarm you have the wiring ready to go on the car XD right now that one is just added weight

now you got ME thinking seeing my car doesn't have remotes either I don't know if there lost or even had any ( goes and checks for an security controller box)

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
That white wire looks like and antenna wire for a remote transmitter which is not suppose to be connected to anything. The giveaway is the FCC certification number on the module sticker and the fact that the wire comes directly out of the module wihtout a connector..

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Yeah I just Checked both my 01 Focus's and neither have anyextra wires or that controller under the dash except for its main loom and a single green connector thats dangling off the same bunch of wires from the brake light switch

its definitely installed either after the car was purchased or they added it on as it was sold

technically you can rip the thing out if you don;t have remotes but you will have to reattach the ignition wires where they cut it for the alarms ignition kill

or you can just cut the end off the wires where it says starter on the box and wire them back up together ( use a butt coonector or solder and heatshrink them together

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am curious....

The ignition cylinder is busted and the key can be removed while the car is running.....I am wondering could this module have been used to bypass the PATS system??

·
Registered
405 Posts
Take your car in and have that thing removed asap, I had so much trouble wit it when I had it in my car, it used 2keep me from starting my car. It would make my hazards go on and the door chim and I couldn't start my car till I pulled 1 of my fuses, I had mine takin out for 47 bucks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got a question I have a 01 Ford Focus zx3 and been have problems seem like computer problems but I pulled out a blue computer says ford secretly and it was not plugged and wonder what it does and have second computer black and no idea what it is I can give pics if needed just looking for help

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
No info. no help.

You bumped up a 6 yr. old thread on an optional security system, mention "computer problems" and say you have a couple computers in the car.

No idea what you're looking at or what problems you're having.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It running like crap and randomly shutting down and I have these two random comupters can't get pic to upload right now pink sticke part number 98 AF 15k600 ab cl

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
99.9% chance a "computer" is NOT the cause of your problem, particularly an unplugged "blue box with "ford" on it secretly".

Where are you finding these & why do you think they are the problem?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts