Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just picked up a 01 zx3 with the zetec motor in it. The good news is, It came with an additional complete 2.0 zetec engine. I want to build the motor for decent power, I've race-built several other vehicles, but I've never built a FWD car or dealt with OHC motors. So I have some questions for you guys.

I'm looking to build the motor, I want to stay N/A if it's possible to make some good power without forced induction.

What modifications would you all suggest for my motor?

And from those of you experienced with this engine, are there any tips and tricks I should know? And are there any particular hardships I'll run into with building this engine? Right now the engine is disassembled, I've purchased a Haines Manual and have everything to build it.

I would appreciate any help from you all.

I consider good power 225-275 fwhp. Thank you guys.

I want to keep this car reliable enough to drive it everyday if I choose.

I've got the bank card out and I'm ready to buy parts to get this thing built lol.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I'd say it isn't really possible to achieve those numbers w/o FI. I have a full NA built engine and am only making 164 whp!!! The heads on our cars are really restrictive. Get a FR head w/ a FR valvetrain and oversized valves. Get a good set of cams. Other than that and the basic boltons, you really can't do much more. FI is the only way you will make good power out of our motors.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
consider good power 225-275 fwhp. Thank you guys.
I want to keep this car reliable enough to drive it everyday if I choose.
I've got the bank card out and I'm ready to buy parts to get this thing built lol.
I hope you got a big fat credit card because you;ll need 1
It's going to cost you $2500 to $3000 just to buy all the parts for the top end of the engine.
the max Whp is like 165 at best and 175 at the max N/A.
You would have to get high compression pistons.
You can use Cosworth pistons and there compression is 12.1, 13.1 and 14.1 but you'll have to bore out your block to 87.5mm

Your better off going SC or turbo just because it's cheaper and easyer for far dude.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok sounds well, what are some good FI Kits?

Would you go Turbo or S/c if money is no object?

What all would you suggest for internals for a FI setup?
What compression should I target pushing the type of boost I would need to hit the power range I'm looking for?
What are the weak points of my motor that need to be beefed up for boost?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Ok sounds well, what are some good FI Kits?

Would you go Turbo or S/c if money is no object?

What all would you suggest for internals for a FI setup?
What compression should I target pushing the type of boost I would need to hit the power range I'm looking for?
What are the weak points of my motor that need to be beefed up for boost?
your looking at some big money for what you want dude
I don't know how much for a FI setup but, I'm sure it's not cheap
Yes I would go SC or turbo just for the fact you don't need to work on the whole engine to get the WHp you want.
For N/A setup you'll need higher compression pistons like 10.8.1 or 12.1
new rods since your upgrading the pistons.
http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1054
bigger injectors, ARP fasteneres, head gasket, fuel rail etc ????

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
If your looking at going turbo go to focus power and talk to tom.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
ya, if you want a tubo kit, pm 1turbofocus, if you want a sc, go w/ a powerworks setup!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts