Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found a 2015 Ford Focus S manual 5-speed with 78k miles - I am embaressed to say how much i spent. It handles great and runs great. Just changed the oil, flushed the coolant a few times, re-gapped the spark plugs and its running even better.

Ive been reading around here, any common issues i should be aware of? It seems like the evap purge solenoid can be an issue, i was planning to get one just because.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just found a 2015 Ford Focus S manual 5-speed with 78k miles - I am embaressed to say how much i spent. It handles great and runs great. Just changed the oil, flushed the coolant a few times, re-gapped the spark plugs and its running even better.

Ive been reading around here, any common issues i should be aware of? It seems like the evap purge solenoid can be an issue, i was planning to get one just because.
Problems? My 126K '13 manual/appearance pkg (leather, lighting + rear discs) has only gotten better mileage (high 30s overall and near 40 with a light draft at legal interstate speeds) I try to master careful energy management between stoplights as well, and still have the original brake pads. Lucky for you if your dry climate and lack of frost does not allow moisture to fog the windows frequently. I'm also on original plugs, coolant and brake fluid (oops, my 2003 WRX should have had the brakes done four times at least - but just the pads) I just noticed the front shocks floating a bit crossing some high crowns off of an exit, but they're not really worn out - just deserve better. My "key in ignition" alarm is defective, which I naturally discovered just after hitting 36k thousands of miles from home (luckily I have not locked it in the car - but almost). Rear hatch release requires pushing down on hatch (and once set off alarm with key out, lock pushed but door open or some such weird combo)- and I think it was adjusted in a recall, as well as rear door latch type checked in another.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve had my ‘15 SE hatchback for about 3 months and almost 10k and love it. Only bought it because it was a 5 speed. Always wanted a Focus but waited for a manual. Daily driver at 60 miles round trip thru the mountains of Western NC. Average 38.5 mpg.
Lovin it
Thats great MPG! Glad to hear you are enjoying the 5-speed Focus as well. I also have a mountain drive, and previously in my 2019 ford ranger i was getting 15.2mpg, and now with the focus I am getting 30.5mpg, which is pretty great considering the 5,000ft of elevation change per day. On the freeway its closer to 40mpg, which is incredible.

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
1,519 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
I also overpaid on the 2013 SE manual 5-speed that I bought recently but when you need a car and the choices are limited that's what you have to do unfortunately.
Our 2.0L Duratec is a rock solid engine with no known issues and the 5-speed is also reliable. The only thing that I can think of besides the purge valve is that the passenger side motor mount is prone to failing and the coolant reservoir can start to leak. That's it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum.
I also overpaid on the 2013 SE manual 5-speed that I bought recently but when you need a car and the choices are limited that's what you have to do unfortunately.
Our 2.0L Duratec is a rock solid engine with known issues and the 5-speed is also reliable. The only thing that I can think of besides the purge valve is the passenger side motor mount is prone to failing and the coolant reservoir can start to leak. That's it.
That’s good to know thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just changed the evap purge solenoid, the idle is so much smoother, and the entire power band is smoother. The old one was dated 04/15 so i assume it was original .

Welcome to the forum.
Our 2.0L Duratec is a rock solid engine with no known issues and the 5-speed is also reliable. The only thing that I can think of besides the purge valve is that the passenger side motor mount is prone to failing and the coolant reservoir can start to leak. That's it.
I started hearing a ticking sound which I thought was the exhaust, but now I am thinking its this passenger side mount. Using my stethecope it sounded like it was coming from the mount itself. I got one on order.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts