Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive 80 miles a day to work and back and at 13 mpg with my 2016 F350 Lariat I decided I needed a work vehicle. Main criteria was +30 mpg, preferably 35+. Had a Fusion previously that I loved and test drove a Focus when I bought that. Found this 2012 SEL at a small dealer who buys cars that were in minor fender benders and fixes them. My test drive showed no tranny issues so for the asking price, and only 67500 miles, I pulled the trigger. Got 37+ mpg on the 60 mile drive home, over 40 when keeping it under 65. Normal small rattles, but I think I got a winner, time will tell. Being an SEL, I am hoping the wiring harness will allow for easy addition of a backup camera and auto start. If not, these are easy aftermarket add ons. Also can't say I saw any white platinum metallic Focuses during my search. Love the color.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at the various years, 2012 was the last for the Focus SEL. Looks like they put a good portion of the options, not all, on the SE for 2013 and the rest of the option were already on the Titanium.

Auto-brochures.com is a good site to review past auto brochures to see the differences.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Looking at the various years, 2012 was the last for the Focus SEL. Looks like they put a good portion of the options, not all, on the SE for 2013 and the rest of the option were already on the Titanium.

Auto-brochures.com is a good site to review past auto brochures to see the differences.
SEL was brought back for the 2017 and 2018 model years.

·
Registered
2012 Hatchback SEL
10 Posts
I do have a 2012 sel. Separate climate zones baby. Anyways, depending on mileage, if the wipers act weird, you'll need to deal with it. A wire junction Ford uses breaks and there's a wire that goes from a new wiper motor to the other. I've fixed it once and it didn't keep, the second I just ran another wire between them and spliced it. Also replace the rear shocks between 90k-100k. I replaced mine at 140k and they never expanded when I compressed them. Otherwise decent car. At 193k now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Welcome!
Just watch for TCM (Transmission Control Module) issues: failure to start, failure to go into reverse. Depending on VIN, TCM is covered under 10-yr/150K-mi warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts